Tuesday, September 16th, 2008
Discuss: DVDs for infants, toddlers, preschoolers or kindergartners?
Here’s a question for everyone outraged by yesterday’s DVD baby stroller revelation.
I agree with Thinga-readers who repeated the claim that video may harm neural development in a growing brain. There is also a belief that video negatively impacts vocabulary and social skills.
We decry babies being shown videos, but not for long. At what point does video entertainment become acceptable, and why? Or is the venue the concern?
Longtime readers know my family is inching closer to that 1 percent of the population that doesn’t own a TV. We have one (always will), but it’s mostly for DVDs. My daughter has maybe 2 hours of DVD exposure at age 4 (more details in the parenting manifesto from a few months ago), so I’m really curious where the other 99 percent of society draws the line on showing videos to babies, toddlers, preschoolers or kindergarteners.