Fame or Shame Game #6: The DVD Baby Stroller

Photo of a stroller handle with a pink pouch wrapped around it holding a portable DVD player with its screen facing forward.

This is the time where I introduce you to a product and you tell us why its inventor is destined for fame or shame. Feel free to be serious or sarcastic.

Step 1. Buy the Baby Beehavin’ Stroller DVD Pouch. It debuted this month at the ABC Kids Expo in Las Vegas.

Step 2. Attach the pouch to your rear-facing stroller. It’s compatible with Fisher-Price, Peg-Perego, Bugaboo, Quinny, Britax, Uppa Baby, Baby-Trends Snap N’ Go and more.

Step 3. Insert your portable DVD player of choice, orient the screen for optimum viewing by your baby and hit ‘play.’

The inventor explains: "This will stimulate and entertain your baby endlessly. [...] So the next time you take your baby shopping, to a restaurant, or anywhere, the Stroller DVD Pouch is all you will need to keep your ‘Baby Beehavin.’

Photo of a platform containing straps and two metal arms, and a photo of the platform attached to the front of a baby stroller, supporting a portable DVD player strapped to the platform.

Meanwhile, the Watch ‘N Stroll by Sylver Concepts LLC is a competing product for forward-facing strollers.

Step 1. Clamp the Watch ‘N Stroll tray to the front of the stroller. It fits Maclaren, Bugaboo, Graco and other lightweight to medium strollers.

Step 2. Attach your portable DVD player of choice with the use of built-in straps.

Step 3. Adjust the viewing angle of the screen and hit ‘play.’

This product is the brainchild of the company’s president "who realized a market need when her infant daughter could not continue
viewing her favorite DVD on a portable DVD player after a car ride to
the local mall."

There you have it. I am physically restraining my wife so that you folks get the first word on these products. Please, dear Thinga-readers, to tell us… fame, or shame?

Comments

30 Responses to “Fame or Shame Game #6: The DVD Baby Stroller”

1. BusyMom says:

SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

Wow! First with a rear facing seat, chances are that baby is sleeping or you are interacting with them. Not to mention, they are under a year. Do they really need to be watching a DVD if they are under 1? And how distracting to those around you to have to listen to the show. Not like your infant would be using headphones.

We have a DVD player in our car, but unless the trip is over an hour, there is nothing playing on the DVD player. When I was a kid, we actually had to amuse ourselves in the car, whether it was an hour or twelve. So, normally, when we get somewhere, we aren’t in the middle of a show that we would need to finish. Again, this would be very distracting for everyone else to have to listen to your toddler’s show – we’d all be walking around with “LaLaLaLa LaLaLaLa Elmo’s World” in our heads. Reminds me of Wall-E, where no one was aware of what was going on around them, because they had the constant distraction of the personal screen. It really is much better to interact with your child. You can show them the world around them and point out interesting things, even at the mall.

September 15th, 2008 at 3:02 am

2. jen says:

rhis is AWFUL! shame, shame! my goodness, do people have no sense? a child in astroller has plenty to look at, be that you or her surroundings. providing a dvd creates an insular situation where the child is no longer interacting with the world around them, OR their parents. Talk about awful. not to mention, babies don’t have the capacity to say “ENOUGH!” so they’d be forced to watch even when over stimulated. this product is pretty much everything that is wrong with kids today. call me old fashioned but ack. I’m appalled.

September 15th, 2008 at 3:30 am

3. adrienne says:

Shame: Of the course the inventor is driving to the mall to use this.

It’s so sad to see kids trapped in strollers while their parents ignore them, and this just gives the parents more license to do so.

Many people comment on what a great car traveler our son is, and we’ve been very deliberate in avoiding DVD players even on very long car trips (7+ hours).

This approach requires more stops and ongoing interaction during every trip, but I hope he’ll grow to be an older kid who interacts with adults rather than just plugging into an iPod or video games and tuning out.

The price of such video players is much higher than the fiscal cost, they are definitely costing infants and young children normal (and important) socialization time with their caregivers.

September 15th, 2008 at 5:52 am

4. brandy says:

Shame.

“Sweetie, stop looking at Mommy’s face and watch your DVD!” Seems kinda sad.

September 15th, 2008 at 7:24 am

5. Jenni says:

SHAME!

Really, how did we ever manage in our childhood without so much tv? Oh, this is just so sad. I won’t even look at the cars with DVD players in them, I think it’s horrible. We managed to drive, as 5 member family, for an entire month from San Diego to Anchorage with nothing but books, games, and each other.
    Why oh why the need to put children in front of television every chance we get? Oh, for shame, inventor!

September 15th, 2008 at 8:07 am

6. Stephanie says:

Shame! Children under 2 aren’t even supposed to watch television. This is really bad for child development, not to mention a free pass for bad parenting. Why interact with your kid or have the kid interact with the world when they can stare at a screen like a zombie. Blech.

September 15th, 2008 at 8:15 am

7. Allison (CodeCrafter) says:

Another vote for shame! Really the thought of it just makes me want to scream or cry I’m not sure which, maybe both.

September 15th, 2008 at 10:45 am

8. Andie says:

Shame!!!! On the inventors and the people who actually purchase these devices. ICK!

September 15th, 2008 at 11:11 am

9. Jeffery Williams says:

I vote shame. 1) because the stroller my wife and I bought is covered with dust (we use wraps or just carry the little guy). 2) because the world outside is more interesting the your favorite DVD.

Whatever happened to creativity an imagination?

September 15th, 2008 at 11:20 am

10. Sandra Chang says:

I cannot believe would actually come up with an idea like this, and somebody actually said it was a good idea.

Kids watch enough TV nowadays in the house, now we want them to watch more outside the house?!?

Shame for sure….

September 15th, 2008 at 1:12 pm

11. Lisa says:

Oh AJ, these MUST be a joke also. Or if not, you need to come up with better products than these for us to decide on because these are just no brainers…….SHAME SHAME SHAME!!

September 15th, 2008 at 5:40 pm

No joke. True. No brainer? No way. I’ve learned from a previous Fame or Shame not to be surprised if public reaction runs counter to my perspective.

September 15th, 2008 at 6:10 pm

13. jen says:

I’ve already voted shame, for a plethora of reasons… though I have to comment on something adrienne said.

My little ones love the stroller and love hearing my commentary as we walk all over the place. That being said, the mall is a great, vastly stimulating place for kids to experience. Just sayin’

But, I know what you mean. When mommy is laden down with bags and talking on her cell while junior is sitting slumped in his stroller looking resigned to his fate? Yeah, I’m right there with you on hating to see that.

September 15th, 2008 at 6:45 pm

14. Sara says:

I say fame. Not because I like the invention, but because I think it will catch on and the inventor will make some serious cash. What they SHOULD have invented was some sort of DVD player hat or helmet, so baby can watch TV wherever they are, in any circumstance. They could watch their own TV while watching the car TV, or watch their own TV while watching TV anywhere in public. Don’t be stuck watching lame-o sports at a restaurant, or CNN at the airport, you can watch your own Sponge Bob DVD anywhere!

September 15th, 2008 at 6:49 pm

15. Mary says:

I’m going to agree with Sara and say fame. I don’t like the whole idea of these products for the same reasons that many have already posted. But we are few compared to many parents who are one) willing to let their child/infant watch tv and movies all the time, two) would do anything to keep their child from screaming and throwing a fit in public, and three) must have every gadget and gizmo known to man. Unfortunately, there are parents like this out there and they are more than willing, if not happy, to invest in the latest form of entertainment for their child. Just as Sara pointed out, why not invent a “DVD player hat or helmet”? I personally find this product appalling, but there are plenty of parents out there that may think this is absolutely genius.

September 15th, 2008 at 7:32 pm

16. CallMeKelly says:

So that whole warning against children watching tv is just silliness I suppose… obviously these companies know far more than the AAP and various independent pediatric doctors and studies that have shown tv watching to contribute to

“violent or aggressive behavior, substance use, sexual activity, obesity, poor body image, and decreased school performance”

“and In contrast to the pace with which real life unfolds, TV programming, and in particular, programming aimed at infants, has very rapid scene changes and quick pacing. The concern that I, and others, have had is that prolonged exposure to rapid scene change during a critical period of brain development would precondition the mind to expect high levels of stimulation.”

“In comparison, reality would be under-stimulating and children would have short attention spans. We’ve found that to be the case in a couple of studies that we’ve done.”

“The more TV that children watch as infants, the more likely they are to have attention problems at school age. We’ve also found that the more baby DVDs that babies watch, the fewer words they seem to know. So there are reasons to be concerned about considerable exposure during this time period”

I sure am glad that those doctors are wrong and we should be buying accessories to allow our children more fun and educational dvd watching!!!

eh… pathetic attempt at malicious sarcasm ended… Shame, shame shame

September 15th, 2008 at 9:59 pm

17. Charity says:

SHAME!!! Yet, I think it will do well given the tv obsessed environment we live in. (I say this while surfing on my laptop and watching tv ). Interact with your kids, people!

September 15th, 2008 at 10:52 pm

18. Thien-Kim says:

This is definitely a SHAME! There are DVD players in cars, at gas stations, and other places. We don’t need to expose our children to it THIS early.

September 15th, 2008 at 11:24 pm

19. Karen Hong says:

SHAME! This is an easy way out for those parent that wants to find a sitter for them or really don’t care enough to take the time to spend quality time with their child and keep showing them TV as a way out of not spending time with them or to distract them from “bothering” the parents.! SHAME!

September 16th, 2008 at 6:44 am

20. Rex says:

4 years ago, my brother-in-law was telling me about the Bugaboo they had gotten. I knew it was expensive, but when he said it came with a DVD, I said, “It has a DVD player!”. It was just a disc to show you how to use it, but I knew the day would come when we’d see a stroller with one.

September 17th, 2008 at 9:37 am

21. Brenda says:

Don’t bother looking at the trees, the birds, the sky. Just focus in on Elmo, sweetheart, there you go. It’s easier to take care of my little one when he gets that glazed look.

September 17th, 2008 at 11:00 am

22. nini says:

ohhhh shame…I am appalled that anyone would ever resort to this. We bought (actually cashed in credit card points) a dvd player for the car for long trips and tested it out on a 15 minute car ride to the library. She watched it in silent awe and was so saddened! I love to hear the barrage of questions coming from my 2 year old’s mouth like “Where is the train momma? What does the yellow light mean? Do you have my sunglasses? Where are we going next? Who is gonna be there? I want to visit Nana and Papa.” On and on she talks and I love her for it. She is so inquisitive and I hope that I’ve fostered some of that. I’m not sure we will ever use that DVD player now because it really fits the name BOOB TUBE!

September 17th, 2008 at 2:37 pm

23. nini says:

edit last post : *I* was the one so saddened not her….maybe she was too but mostly she was just mute.

September 17th, 2008 at 2:39 pm

OK, AJ finally weighs in…

Shame. As my wife said, “It’s hard to imagine a more disconnected, offensive baby product.”

You’re actually taking the time to walk around your community with your baby. It’s a feast for his senses as he begins observing this vast new world, but you want him plugged in and tuned out?

You want him behaving? Babies don’t misbehave. They respond to their needs in the only way possible for them. If they’re crying, chances are the parent isn’t keeping up. Yes, babies are needy. They need you. They are not to be placated behind a screen.

Something tells me it won’t be long before someone invents a Neonatal Nintendo Wii with game sensors built into baby booties.

September 17th, 2008 at 2:54 pm

25. anjii says:

Yeah, this thing is disgusting! As I commented in another thread, we do watch well chosen DVDs, but not as a way of shutting them up, or tuning them out. The tv is only for the living room, and possibly, for PARTS of LONG drives (if we had a portable DVD player that is). We will never have TVs in our bedrooms either.

September 19th, 2008 at 11:21 pm

26. CanCan (Mom Most Traveled) says:

If gas prices get higher and I have to walk with my baby in a stroller on the 120 mile trip to grandma’s I might consider it….
    Otherwise? We don’t have one in the car, and we SURE don’t need one on the stroller. The pottychair, maybe ;)

September 21st, 2008 at 10:49 am

27. carla says:

I think this idea is genius if it used sparingly for situations when colic, a dirty diaper, or hunger has been ruled out. I think that the product will sell and will be useful especially when the parents are handling more than one child – I give it a thumbs up but also heed the copious “shame” comments as well.

September 26th, 2008 at 12:11 pm

28. Natalie Apel says:

FAME FAME FAME!!! AMAZING IDEA!! Shame on you people who are too slow or to stubborn to realize that the purpose of this product is not to stick your baby in front of the DVD player for hours upon end… in fact, if you are grocery shopping or at the mall or trying to get some errands done your baby can actually benefit from being entertained for a little bit, while mommy takes care of business, this way baby doesn’t get frustrated and annoyed from sitting in the stroller for so long. As a matter of fact i have seen this product in use and it works wonders. Not to mention the baby seems extremely stimulated and happy. Aside from that GOOD LUCK to all you moms who think this is a bad idea and refuse to use such innovative products because you are afraid to over-stimulate or god forbid entertain your child with things other than nature, and annoying people around them…i can only bet that your baby will only last so long in that stroller before you have to pick them up and lug them around in your arms, while trying to multitask… HAVE FUN! After all it is the 21st century and we have what we like to call TECHNOLOGY… so don’t be afraid to use it, your child will be fine, and before you know it they will be surfing the net and watching TV anyways! SO RELAX!!

September 26th, 2008 at 4:18 pm

29. LA says:

FAME!!! Great idea. I love this product and don’t want to pawn my child off on the TV, nor am I so selfish that I don’t care about taking the time to play with my baby. I just think once in a while some peace and quiet would be nice, and I’m sure my baby would love this too, instead of being stuck in the stroller with nothing to do. WHERE CAN I GET ONE??

September 26th, 2008 at 4:24 pm

30. Laci says:

FAME!!! FAME!!! FAME!!! I love to powerwalk with my stroller but my 2 year old gets bored day after day. He’ll cry, scream, and try to get out making it impossible for me. Honestly i don’t feel bad for trying to get in a workout. It’s the only way I can. If mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy! These other reviewers need to get over it! Bad parenting is burning your kids with cigarettes and neglecting them, not letting them watch a DVD so moms can get some sanity!!! No shame in my game!!!

June 14th, 2009 at 3:29 am