Buggyboot: Stroller Storage Expander

Photo of the Buggyboot inventors next to a Maclaren stroller equipped with a Buggyboot.

Buggyboot is a stroller accessory that scored a positive reaction on BBC’s Dragon’s Den.

The Den is a UK TV show where entrepreneurs pitch their inventions to venture-capitalists (the "dragons").

Versions of the show exist in many countries, but in the US we’re stuck with a lesser copycat known as American Inventor.

Anyhow, if you’ve got your act together, one of the dragons invests in your product in exchange for a percentage of your company’s stock.

The BBC is a bit xenophobic with its online video ("not available in this area"), so this foreign blogger hasn’t seen the clips. Everyone can however watch an edited only-good-things-to-say version on Buggyboot’s Youtube channel.

Okay, so, what is this thing?

Three photos of the Buggyboot, showing the storage bag, shopping basket and standalone ride-on step.

The Buggyboot is a wheeled bag that attaches to "small lightweight pushchairs" (aka umbrella strollers). In this case, the "bag" is more of a firm canvas-like box. The Big Idea is that you can go shopping and avoid the tipping danger of hanging plastic bags on the stroller handles.

Secondly, Buggyboot can hold a store’s shopping basket on top of the bag. A wire basket is shown in product photos; it’s unclear whether it would work with plastic baskets commonly used in the US. [A request for photos and information to the company went unanswered weeks ago.]

A second model, the Buggyboot Plus, allows you to remove the bag and let a second child use a stand-on board to hitch a ride.

The bag-only model retails for £44.95 ($81.25 USD) and the Plus retails for £59.95 ($108.37 USD).

One of the dragons liked the Buggyboot enough to invest £80,000 in return for 30 percent equity.

What do you think, good deal?

I’m thinking…

• The allure of a $10 umbrella stroller is ruined if you need an $81 accessory (admittedly, the US dollar is worth half the British pound).
  • A $50 stroller with a built-in storage bag renders the Buggyboot redundant.
  • The small, lightweight, hassle-free nature of an umbrella stroller is diminished by adding a wheeled platform.
  • Ride-on steps already exist for umbrella strollers (example: Buggyboard Maxi, £48.99 from Amazon UK, $90 Amazon US).
  • The Buggyboot make sense for a parent who isn’t using a car, but if you’re doing a lot of walking, why not invest in a robust stroller that has a bag?
  • If you are driving, you only have to endure carrying bags from the store to the parking lot. Stick your kid in a baby carrier or in the shopping cart seat while you browse inside the store.

But that’s just me. What do you think of the Buggyboot?

Comments

10 Responses to “Buggyboot: Stroller Storage Expander”

1. julianne says:

I think it would get kicked a lot. Looks annoying to me.

September 1st, 2008 at 1:30 pm

2. Jennifer says:

My first thought, like Julianne, was how many times I would trip over the Buggyboot. The stroller’s handles in the pictures above don’t extend past the “boot”, which means you’re forced to bend forward, however slightly.

I’ve never found an umbrella stroller convenient because of the lack of storage. But the Buggyboot does not appear to be the answer. I’d rather just buy a light-weight stroller at least one step above an umbrella one and have the storage built-in.

September 1st, 2008 at 4:05 pm

3. Kathleen says:

I dislike umbrella strollers for their lack of storage and their “tippability” factor. It never fails that our son wants to get out and then anything we have hanging on the back (purse, diaper bag, etc.) tips the whole thing over and spills all over the place.
    This ‘boot’ is a good idea just too pricey and I agree that it would get kicked alot.

September 1st, 2008 at 5:36 pm

4. Jen M says:

Your post: “The Buggyboot make sense for a parent who isn’t using a car, but if you’re doing a lot of walking, why not invest in a robust stroller that has a bag?”

But if you’re a parent who does a lot of walking who also takes the bus, you have to fold your stroller. A lightweight one with an accessory like this much more sense then. (Also, the stroller pictured is not a $10 one.) However, the tripping issue makes me wonder.

September 1st, 2008 at 6:56 pm

5. Robin says:

I lived in London as a (mostly) SAHM until my older son was almost 3 with no car (Husband took it to work). A bigger stroller is not practical, for small shops, cafes, as Jen M said for the bus, or for the underground (tube) where very often you must carry your child in the stroller up and down long flights of stairs (almost always with help from other passengers) to and from the platforms.

I did all of our grocery shopping on foot with the stroller pictured and my son. This product makes a lot of sense to me, and would have cut the number of trips we had to make each week considerably. I usually balanced the basket on the partially unfolded sunhood of the stroller, or put it into our reusable cloth grocery bags hanging on each handle.

Now that we live in the States we probably wouldn’t need this type of gadget, but for city living, I can definitely see the benefit.

September 1st, 2008 at 8:22 pm

6. Bonnie says:

I really don’t think that this would be practical here in the United States for the reasons that you mentioned above. However, it seems that the intended market is ready for such a product and if the Buggyboot folds neatly against the stroller then I could see the benefits. Or perhaps it would be nice if you are traveling on an airline? I mostly wanted to comment that it is nice to see in the above product shot that this kid apparently has two mommies!

September 2nd, 2008 at 6:08 am

7. RobMonroe says:

I would kick the stroller more than I do now…and that’s hard to imagine!

September 2nd, 2008 at 6:55 am

8. Lisa says:

Oh how i love this idea!!! Now that my older child is almost out of a stroller, i’d like the versatility this can offer; my second in the front and little one boogying in the back…..When the first is in school, taking this on short trips to the store with just number two would be much safer. I have a double side by side now and tend to hang a plastic basket on the center handle or the right or left, making it an awkward errand. Umbrella strollers, even with storage on the bottom, for me is inadequate and this product would help. The big problem though, as others have mentioned, is that this would render the handles too short and make this too hard to push. What a bummer.

September 3rd, 2008 at 9:25 pm

9. Jennifer says:

It looks TINY from the angles they’ve shown it at! And the sides don’t look like they’d expand much. We do use a MacLaren in the car and its built-in storage is kind of pathetic, so I can see the utility of this if it actually held a LOT.

But this doesn’t look much better than what comes with the stroller. And yes, it’s so far out from the stroller that you would have to walk with your body tilted into a weird A-frame shape. Thumbs down from this mama – I’ll stick with reusabags over the handles… :-(((

September 10th, 2008 at 1:25 pm

10. neil says:

well, I got one in the UK, it’s just come out there and can report it’s high enough not to kick it, brilliant hands-free (stress-free) shopping, and the buggy doesn’t tip over backwards any more. I love it!

June 2nd, 2009 at 1:48 am