Fame or Shame, Game #1

Photo of the cover of the Poopy Phonics book depicting a cartoonish hand sticking out of a toilet bowl.

Here is where I introduce you to a book and you tell us why its author is destined for fame or shame. Feel free to be serious in your response, or have tongue firmly locked in cheek.

Poopy Phonics [Amazon] is a book for first-time readers composed of "thirty pages of rhyming words straight out of the bathroom," plus flash cards. The author explains:

"When my kids were learning to read, I noticed that kids just love potty words. Once someone says one of these magic words, kids just seem transformed, like pulling the string on a windup toy."

Learn to pronounce words such as barf, butt, drool, fart, fink, huff, icky, slob, snot, stink, urp, poop, and plop. The book is so good you can, for a limited time only, download the entire thing as a PDF file from the author’s website.

There you have it. I invite you, dear Thinga-readers, to tell us… "Fame, because…" or "Shame, because…"

Comments

9 Responses to “Fame or Shame, Game #1”

1. Michelle says:

Mmmm I’m not sure on this one. I can see that babies would enjoy saying the words but I’m not sure that it’s going to help them progress very far with their speech.

Definitely worth picking up whilst it’s free!!

August 7th, 2008 at 12:42 am

Fame, because a toddler who can spell “butt” with two Ts instead of one will shoot to the top of his preschool class.

August 7th, 2008 at 1:37 am

3. Jennifer says:

Shame, or rather, obscurity, because very few parents are going to consider that having their toddler constantly repeat the words in this book is worth the little bit of reading help it offers to said toddlers. Cute concept, but probably more apt to entertaining teenage boys than educating toddlers.

August 7th, 2008 at 5:29 am

4. Andie says:

Fame because…anyone who can get people to shell out money for something kids (especially those with older siblings) will do all on their own has something going for them!

August 7th, 2008 at 8:08 am

5. Christy says:

Fame. Perhaps she will focus on this type of “potty language” instead of my big fat potty mouth!

August 7th, 2008 at 8:43 am

6. Jennifer says:

Fame because…well, ask this question about the “Everyone Poops” book before it became so we regarded.

August 7th, 2008 at 2:21 pm

7. Charity says:

Shame because most parents don’t want their toddlers/preschoolers using potty words.

August 7th, 2008 at 7:38 pm

8. Rebekah C says:

I’d have to say ‘shame’ because while I’m sure the idea is funny, I’m not really sure I’d appreciate my child running around rhyming with those words in mind.

August 16th, 2008 at 5:09 pm

9. tawni says:

Fame….But only as a gift for my neices & nephews or children of friends. :) I know my own kids will pick these words up eventually, but I don’t want to be the one to teach them. (Don’t get me wrong, I think it’d be HILARIOUS to teach my neices and nephews!)

August 27th, 2008 at 7:34 pm