Customized Family Address Labels

Why the heck not? You have a kid. Flaunt your newfound status as a family over your childless/child-free friends who count their cats and dogs as children.

A scan of a postage address label featuring the faces of four people and two cats. The first is Kiran the father with dark skin and a goatee. The second is the mother Erin with white skin and red hair. Two children follow as well as two cats. Above the faces the label reads: The Flaming Llama Family. 555 A Street, Weakureter, CA. 555555. The family's name and address have been altered due to privacy concerns.

The above mailing label came affixed to a birth announcement we received this week. Yes, I slightly altered the family’s name and address for privacy concerns. There’s no deep meaning behind “flaming llama.” It’s just something I could spell with the preexisting letters in Photoshop.

So… wow. These labels are new to me. I’ve seen stick figure families on car windows before, but these faces are close to the originals in both color and hair style.

FamilyLabels.com lets you add up to seven family members to a label — infants, pre-teens, teens and adults. If you’re the Duggar Family,
that means using three address labels at a time, but the good news is you can give birth to one more child before spilling over into a forth label. However, with their eldest now almost 21-years-old, maybe you’ve cut him loose to have his own sticker.

The labels are standard size, 2-5/8″ by 1″.

The level of customization is fairly detailed. Pets count as family members, so you can add drawings of cats, dogs, birds and a range of oddball animals (including pigs, frogs and, yes, even llamas).

Choose between 18 colors of goldfish, 26 shades of iguana and 51 colorations of hamsters. Man, I never knew. My hamsters were always a plain golden yellow.

There’s even a bear, which I suppose could double as your child’s teddy bear, or as a statement about your love for the Grateful Dead.

For customizing people, on the web order form you visually select a hairstyle and then skin color. A few other variables, such as facial hair, are then configured sight unseen via the form.

You don’t get to see the completely assembled label before purchase, but this service goes the furthest of family labelers I’ve researched. Facial hair and a few other tidbits are shown on the head example page.

Prices start at 88 labels for $24.95 or 178 for $27.95, with steeper discounts for larger orders. Other retailers are cheaper, but don’t have as nice graphics or as easily customized labels. And really, wouldn’t you use these labels only for special occasions?

Other family labels:

See related: Photo postage stamps

Comments

12 Responses to “Customized Family Address Labels”

1. Stephanie says:

We got these when Sadie was first born for our announcements and thank you notes, and then again (with Santa hats) for all of our Christmas mailings. They are great, and really cute to receive. We found out about them a couple of years ago from my dad and stepmom who added their two little dogs (their babies). I definitely recommend them!

August 19th, 2008 at 6:00 am

2. Nancy says:

I have friends who have these labels and have always thought about doing it, but never have. I think they’re really cute, myself.

August 19th, 2008 at 7:46 am

3. Aimee says:

Try http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/caricatures/editor/choose_type.aspx

We had some made up–really cute.

August 19th, 2008 at 7:54 am

4. Paul says:

We have these labels for our family – My wife really likes them, but I hate “wasting” them on bills, so I always end up writing the return address in on those. She ordered a set for some friends who were recently married, and they loved them, too!

August 19th, 2008 at 9:22 am

5. Natalie says:

Eh, I think they are kind of cheesy and would never buy or use them. I wouldn’t put those stick figures on my car either, but then we have compact sedans and I’ve only seen them on SUVs or minivans. I’m just not fond of cutesy stuff.

If I had had the energy to send birth announcements, I would have had our return address pre-printed on the envelopes!

August 19th, 2008 at 10:51 am

6. My Boaz's RUth says:

*wry* I am about to send out combination birth announcement/first birthday announcement/moving announcement. These might be cute for that.

Do they have horses available?

August 19th, 2008 at 11:11 am

7. Beckie says:

I love ‘em! I used to have some but recently have run out. You have inspired me to order more.

I have a cat named Merlyn too. I tried to name my dog Nimue, but was out voted :(

August 19th, 2008 at 11:52 am

8. Sara says:

I love these too, however my fear is that I would not use them up fast enough, because they were so “special” and then my kids would all be teenagers and stuck with their toddler cartoon faces on return-address labels. But still, totally cute!

August 19th, 2008 at 2:56 pm

9. bombaygirl says:

I did these years ago, pre-kids, when we first got married, and had 2 greyhounds and 3 cats. It was a fun label! I loved my image of myself, and my husband’s looked like him.

August 19th, 2008 at 10:13 pm

10. Christy says:

I have used this company in the past and they were great to work with. They even helped me customize the colors of my Border Collie mix and my German Shepherd.

Yeah, I think they have horses, MyBoaz’sRuth. Lizards and birds too.

I would use them again!

August 21st, 2008 at 7:52 am

11. Kathleen says:

Those are neat, I’ve gotten a few from people in the mail on the return address.

By the way, stop by my blog tomorrow if you get a chance because you’ve been mentioned by my Friday Featured Blog blogger, CanCan of Mom Most Traveled. The post will be up at midnight tonight.

August 21st, 2008 at 7:19 pm

12. kelli says:

I think they’re pretty cutesy. Not really my style for my correspondence — but I think it’s great for my kids.

I won an online conteste and received a notepad on which I put “the Smith kids” and three heads representing our kids. When we get a gift, one of my sons (my daughter is just 7 months old) draws a picture or writes “thank you” on the page and I include it with a note to the sender. Works for us!

August 27th, 2008 at 8:11 am