Fame or Shame Game #5: Santa Deception Kits

Here are several products that take the joy of lying to your children and torque it up several notches. These kits beckon you to plant evidence or engage in rituals in order to cement Santa Claus as a living, breathing being in your child’s fragile universe.

Carefully weigh the merits of these products and then tell us why the inventors are destined for fame, or shame.

Photo of the Santa Clues kit with its various components laid out before the camera.

Santa-Clues is a robust kit containing a coat button, sleigh bell, old-timey spectacles, a white glove, a toy list (containing names) and a torn piece of Santa’s cuff. The torn clothing adds extra realism if you own a dog or a particularly vicious cat or guinea pig.

Also included is a boot and hoof stencil to be used with the included “magic snow.”

If all this seems familiar it’s because I profiled Santa-Clues here last spring in How Far Will You Go to Keep the Big Lie Alive? So why revisit it? Well, there’s a nifty product photo now!

Photo of a red fabric bag tied with a red knot, presumably with Santa Dust contained inside the bag.

Santa Dust by PACJennic relies on a simpler idea. Instead of proving Santa exists, Mom and Dad put their child through the annual ritual of sprinkling the ground with sparkling dust to attract Santa as if he were Tinkerbell. You can also buy Reindeer Dust, Reindeer Food and Christmas Dust.

I know what you’re thinking. Combine Santa Dust with Santa-Clues and your child will be a believer for life. When he spends his first Christmas away from home at the age of 24, just tell him Santa probably doesn’t know his new address yet and mail service is spotty because the polar ice cap melted, postal trucks can’t reach Santa by land and the North Pole air space has been deemed a no-fly zone as the nations of the world fight over oil and mining rights. Your kid will be sad, but Santa will live another precious year.

The Easter Bunny is also a sucker for dust, as are the holidays of Valentine’s Day, Halloween, Independence Day, Chanukah and New Year’s Day. Oh, and there is birthday dust, quinceanera dust, bar mitzvah dust and sweet 16 dust. Each dust bag apparently comes with a brief limerick so it all makes sense.

Sprinkle on the ground at night
the moon will make it sparkle bright
Santa’s reindeer fly and roam
this will lead him to your home.

Photo of a tan Santa glove, black coal soap and a bag filled with white material labeled Snowman Poop.

The Santa Glove is a glove labeled “Property of Santa Claus” and “Made in the North Pole.” It is “proof of life for kids of all ages.

The glove is made by Mary Ellen’s Soaps and marks something of a departure from her usual products. You know, soap. So it should come as no surprise that Mary Ellen makes Santa Poop Soap (found further down the linked page).

Why, there’s nothing more exciting than running downstairs Christmas morning to the smell of fresh milk and cookies, only to discover that Santa has emptied his bowels on your family room floor. No, really, the soap is scented like milk and cookies.

There’s also Santa’s Coal Soap that “looks like real coal with a candy cane fragrance.”

Other popular soaps include:

• Snowman Poop Soap.
  • Reindeer Poop Soap.
  • Elf Poop Soap.
  • Christmas Tree Poop Soap.

Something tells me it would be easier to buy a Christmas tree diaper.

There you have it. I invite you, dear Thinga-readers, to tell us… fame, or shame?

Comments

10 Responses to “Fame or Shame Game #5: Santa Deception Kits”

1. Kathleen says:

What happened to good old fashioned believing…you know seeing that Santa ate the cookies you left out for him?
    “sigh” I guess kids these days need more proof. Fame for helping busy parents retain their child’s innocence just a little longer.

August 28th, 2008 at 7:18 am

2. RobMonroe says:

Fame for some, Shame for others. My wife and I are still discussing the whole concept of telling Abby that Santa even exists. I’m definitely not a fan of the Tooth Fairy, but not sure why. Hmm.

If you’re going all out to celebrate Christmas Santa-Style, this should bring a lot of fame.

August 28th, 2008 at 7:18 am

3. Jeffery Williams says:

All I see are negatives if I tried to use it to fool my kids. Alternatively, I can see putting the clues out with my kids as a post Christmas decoration. Giggling over the glasses and pretending with them that he left these things. That way we could keep the image of Santa untarnished and keep him in sight and in mind.

August 28th, 2008 at 7:59 am

4. Jenni says:

Wow, can parents not come up with these on their own? The furthest we ever went was the cookies and carrot sticks missin (carrots for Rudolph; I don’t know why we never fed the other reindeer. Now that I think of that, it’s just sad).

I’m not opposed to the Santa stories, but to have to buy this kind of stuff! Shame on anyone who actually buys it.

August 28th, 2008 at 8:39 am

This reminds me. We need to talk about the whole Santa thing with the kid. Otherwise, I think he isn’t coming to our house.

August 28th, 2008 at 8:41 am

6. Sara says:

I didn’t grow up with Santa, neither did my husband. In fact, my mom started giving us gifts from “Santa” when we were in high school, making no effort to disguise her handwriting on the packages. She claimed she was bored with writing “Mom.” Fame to this inventor, though, because they are capitalizing on several key marketing areas: sentimentality, children, and gimmicky Christmas stuff. I think they stand to make a lot of money, though probably not from me.

August 28th, 2008 at 10:10 am

7. Mary says:

I agree that with a little creativity, you could come up with cheap alternatives to this stuff. We always press my husbands workboot into flour and make bootprints walking out of the fireplace to the tree, with a handprint or two thrown in for good measure. He has yet to question why these have not “melted” since they are “snow” and he is 7.
    When we were little, all we did was milk, cookies and carrots and we still believed until the year my mom hid the presents in my uncles basement apartment and we found them.

August 28th, 2008 at 3:13 pm

8. Erin S. says:

Both fame and shame. The dust is a neat idea…though if they have dust for all the holidays they are overdoing it just a bit. Ummm, Santa poop soap? Gross. As for the Santa’s Clues, we always did milk and cookies and that worked just fine. If Santa left bits and pieces at every house he would end up naked by the end!

August 29th, 2008 at 6:11 am

9. tawni says:

The Easter Bunny always leaves “droppings” all over the house for the kids to find Easter Morning. And ALWAYS leaves a huge pile of “droppings” by the front door.

It’s hilarious to see their faces when one of us eat the droppings, explaining that Easter Bunny Poo tastes like chocolate! (chocolate covered raisins to be exact!).. I just pray my children never run into a real rabbit and attempt to taste real rabbit poo! AGH!

August 29th, 2008 at 10:02 am

10. tawni says:

oops.. I wasn’t finished w/ my post yet. :)

Fame…
    if they can’t do it themselves w/o some sort of pre-packaged idea, who cares..Although it would be A LOT cheaper to just do it on your own.

I agree with doing these things just to see the kids expressions and keeping the magic alive a bit longer. Our 9 year old is asking questions, and to tell you the truth, I think he is pretending to believe just to humor me at this point. I remember finding out about all of this when I was little…lol, I felt totally betrayed by my Mom for lying to me about everything. They find out about 1 and it ALL comes out. Horrible, and I’m not ready for that just yet.

August 29th, 2008 at 10:08 am