Fame or Shame, Game #4: Helmet Covers

This is the time where I introduce you to a product and you tell us why its
inventor is destined for fame or shame. Feel free to be serious or
sarcastic.

A photo of a young child wearing a bike helmet covered with pink material and covered with six green plush caterpillars. A second photo shows a baby wearing a purple bike helmet adorned with a pink flower that appears to be larger than the baby's head.

Flower, caterpillar and spider helmet duvets by Gigi’s Apparel make your baby and toddler biking or skiing experiences, uh, fun? Interesting? An invitation for strangers to photograph your children?

A photo of a young child wearing a bike helmet covered with pink material and a large black plush spider with wire-like legs.

The duvets also “help promote wearing a safety helmet as well as increase visibility.” The company explains:

“Made of a stretchable, breathable, and highly visible mesh, the helmet
duvet is designed to slip over your child’s helmet and take it from an
ugly, scratched up nuisance to a bold fashion statement your kids will
love to wear!”

There you have it. I invite you, dear Thinga-readers, to tell us… fame, or shame?

Comments

22 Responses to “Fame or Shame, Game #4: Helmet Covers”

1. PsychMamma says:

Ugh. Shame, shame, SHAME!

Seriously: “take it from an ugly, scratched up nuisance to a bold fashion statement your kids will love to wear!”???

I think J would be terrified to wear the worms and spider (she MIGHT go for the flower), but it seems like (besides being UGLY) these would get just as dirty/torn/awful looking as the helmet. Probably more so.

Thumbs down from this mamma.

August 25th, 2008 at 5:49 am

2. lindsey says:

While I think that the flower one is rather cute….I don’t think it would make my kids actually want to wear their helmets.

August 25th, 2008 at 6:00 am

3. Kathleen says:

Wow…Shame….UGLY!
    Though, I suppose the size of that flower could provide a little extra padding!

August 25th, 2008 at 6:08 am

4. RobMonroe says:

I agree with the claim that it would be better at getting attention, so until helmet makers begin to use brighter colors, maybe this has something to it….

The really scary thing is that once a big company picks up on this they will be marketed better and probably have characters on them.

I really don’t want my kid to look like Mickey Mouse on her bike!

August 25th, 2008 at 6:26 am

5. Jennifer says:

Shame!

There’s a reason the worm and flower covers are being modeled by very young toddlers… They are too young to protest wearing something that grotesque! I can only assume that the girl modeling the spider cover was bribed with copious amounts of cash.

August 25th, 2008 at 6:30 am

6. Allison (CodeCrafter) says:

Shame because it is a good idea executed poorly.

It is a good idea to encourage kids to wear helmets but these are ugly and look like they would cause balance issues. Maybe they should have shot for older kids who are usually the ones not wearing the helmets and made these cool looking.

August 25th, 2008 at 7:42 am

7. Jenni says:

Both! Fame because the concept isn’t all bad. A stretchy piece of fabric to make your helmet look cooler? A definite plus.

Shame because this is just WAY too gaudy. A hip pattern on the fabric is all you need. You don’t need a giant bug or a flower that’s bigger than you child to make it look cool.

August 25th, 2008 at 7:55 am

8. much more than a mom says:

Those are hideous. The concept is great, but those are truly awful. Check out Tail Wags at http://www.tail-wags.com/ – now those are cute! My son and daughter love theirs and want to wear their helmets in the house! (Gotta watch those sharp corners, you know…)

August 25th, 2008 at 8:14 am

The idea is great, to encourage kids to wear their helmets by making them look “cool” but the actual examples here are way too gaudy. At first I thought they were Halloween costume stuff! These would make good costuming IMHO.

August 25th, 2008 at 8:15 am

10. Natalie says:

Bwa ha ha ha!!!!! Those are soooo ugly, but in a funny way. Thanks for the laugh!!!!

We’ve never had a problem with the kidlet wearing a helmet – he came to the bike shop and helped pick it out (black with red flames – he loves red). Also we got new helmets at the same time, and we all wear them every time we get on the bikes. It’s just one of those things you DO without making a big deal, like seatbelts.

Of course, it probably helps that we have an easy-going child, and he loves seeing us suit up to ride our scooter – we wear serious motorcycle helmets and an obnoxious yellow armored jacket. And hubby rides almost every day to work. So a bike helmet is seen as being cool, too.

August 25th, 2008 at 8:46 am

11. Sandy says:

Shame! There’s a reason bike helmets are covered with smooth plastic. In case of a fall, the helmet will slide along the pavement, rather than sticking. You really want it to slide, so that the head doesn’t stop suddenly and cause a neck injury.

Granted, toddlers & preschoolers aren’t going all that fast, but there are plenty of fun designs on helmets for them. Also, once you set the ground rules of no helmet, no bike, they decide to wear the helmet pretty quickly.

Covering the helmet also covers the vents/air holes. Bad idea for my extra-sweaty son (takes after his dad)!

And those things are just ugly!

August 25th, 2008 at 1:35 pm

12. Mama Peach says:

Shame – unless it’s Halloween or they are partaking in some kind of bicycle-costume party.

August 25th, 2008 at 3:40 pm

13. Sara says:

I don’t know if I would say “shame” to this idea, but I would certainly say it looks WEIRD.

August 25th, 2008 at 5:04 pm

14. Marcy says:

Plain white helmets and (well supervised) art time with permanent markers works best for us! These things just look SCARY!

August 25th, 2008 at 11:28 pm

15. CanCan (Mom Most Traveled) says:

This COULD be a good idea, if the covers weren’t 3-D. Maybe just some cool fabric?

August 26th, 2008 at 1:29 am

16. Karen says:

SHAME! Is ugly! I’ven seen cuter ones on the slopes! I wouldn’t buy these!

August 26th, 2008 at 9:23 am

17. tawni says:

Shame… Lemme tell you why..

I picture my kids riding along… under a tree..low branch and WHAP! The tree branch snags onto that fabric and rips my child right off of their bike..

NOno no.. Not a good idea.
    (cute idea, though)

August 26th, 2008 at 6:16 pm

18. Kara says:

Shame!

“increased visability” most kids helmets are already quite visable if you ask me.

If your child’s helmet is “scratched up” I would assume it’s from crashing. Maybe instead of worrying about how attractive your child looks on the bike, you should be worried about teaching him/her how to ride it!

August 27th, 2008 at 11:04 pm

19. Amber says:

ew.

’nuff said.

August 28th, 2008 at 1:52 pm

20. STL Mom says:

Hey, I saw one of these at school today! Or something similar – it was lime green and had alien antennae sticking up. Sort of weird, but the kid wearing it seemed happy enough.

August 29th, 2008 at 6:31 pm

21. anjii says:

I think these particular ones are ugly, but I can see potential in the idea. If it was made in fun patterns for tots (without the big “stuff” stuck on it) to make them want to wear it, and in cooler patterns for older kids to make helmets a part of their personal style. Anything that promotes helmet wearing is a good thing, but I think this particular brand jumped off the deep end into the “garish” pool.

September 26th, 2008 at 3:30 pm

22. Charlotte says:

I think they’re cute and fun and show a sense of humor, something lacking in today’s world.

The friction a thin lycra cover would add to a sliding helmet is so negligible as to not exist.

The chance that these decorations could pull a child off a bike is non-existent, unless perhaps it was attached to the helmet with super-glue, which speaks to other problems.

Finally, most helmets are scratched while not on someone’s head (in the car, at the ice cream break, etc), so saying that a scratched helmet is evidence of poor parenting is also silly.

I think that just a boldly patterned lycra cover would look like you put dad’s speedo over junior’s helmet – very odd look to me.

Yes, these covers are over the top. Yes, they’re silly. I found this site just looking more for a flower, less for a cover – I’ll wear the flower with my adult, scratched up bike helmet, and will be smiling as I pedal down the road.

February 1st, 2009 at 1:24 pm