Game #1: Baby Product Mind Reader

Photo of a baby sitting in an infant car seat that has been removed for carrying by hand. A clear plastic cover envelops the seat. There is an opening in the cover for the baby's head to poke out.

In this game I’ll give you an accurate description of a real baby product invention, and you’ll propose an alternate purpose for the product.

The first person to correctly guess the alternate baby-related invention I’m thinking of gets heaps of glory. Double dollops of glory go to anyone who, in my esteemed estimation, bests my idea.

Here is the real description: The Clear View Baby Cover by Leachco is a clear vinyl baby seat carrier cover providing protection from rain and wind.

"Clear water-proof vinyl gives all of the benefits of a body umbrella with the convenience of a carrier cover. Your baby is always visible, and the face is always open to fresh air flow. A quick and easy center opening with Velcro closure gives you ultimate convenience. With elasticized sides, this cover fits most carriers. It’s wipeable and washable, too." (Carrier not included)

All due respect to Leachco, a company that makes a variety of baby products. This game is all in good fun.

I promise I’m not thinking this a baby Han Solo frozen in carbonite desktop trophy. What do you think this invention looks like it’s really for?

Update with Answers:

Dollops of glorious plaudits go to Adrienne and Tawni who guessed the product idea in my head. This thing is an odor suppression shield. Let your baby excrete bodily waste all day long it won’t stink up the car. The shield contributes to your car’s resale value because no one wants a vehicle with that "New Baby Smell."

Double dollops of glory go to:

Triple dollops go to to Karen for suggesting a product someone might just invent some day… attaching the seat to a stroller and using the cover as a UV sun shield so you don’t have to apply chemical sunscreen to your baby’s skin. Although, we could just go back to an item that was popular 100 years ago, stroller parasols.

Plauditory certificates of recognition go to everyone else. Every single idea was pretty darn good.

Comments

28 Responses to “Game #1: Baby Product Mind Reader”

1. Ticia says:

Look, but don’t touch.

August 12th, 2008 at 6:20 am

2. Kathleen says:

Wow…what an awesome way to FEED baby without getting any food on him :) Just hose off the cover and you’re ready for the next meal!

August 12th, 2008 at 6:25 am

3. Christy says:

It’s a “Baby Poncho” for attending a Gallagher show.

The Baby-Size Watermelon Mallet is available for those infants that want to get in on the action…

August 12th, 2008 at 6:35 am

4. Bob says:

obviously, it’s to keep dust and stains off your baby.. just like my grandmothers couch.

August 12th, 2008 at 8:30 am

5. Andie says:

Two ideas:
    1) A baby greenhouse to make baby grow faster

2) A weight loss program, to get baby to sweat off those extra lbs (or kilos here in Canada)

August 12th, 2008 at 8:31 am

6. Natalie says:

Older brother is the Boy in a Bubble and you don’t want to make him feel singled out, even though Baby’s immune system is just fine.

August 12th, 2008 at 9:55 am

7. Marketing Mommy says:

Keep your baby encased in hygienic plastic–as fresh and unspoilt as the day he arrived.

August 12th, 2008 at 10:41 am

8. Kingsmom says:

Not baby related but…

It could be a urinal cover.

August 12th, 2008 at 12:36 pm

9. John says:

It’s a sick baby carrier. if your baby has the stomach flu or other vomiting ailment, plop her in there and cinch that thing around her head. If she throws up on it, just hose it off and you’re all set. no more clothes changes with each ‘incident’.

As an aside, that vinyl will do wonders for the baby’s development with it’s off-gassing of phthalates and other chemicals.

August 12th, 2008 at 12:42 pm

10. adrienne says:

Stink shield: Babies may now fart/poo with impunity.

August 12th, 2008 at 1:19 pm

11. addy says:

its so you can leave the top down when you go through the carwash in your convertible…right??

August 12th, 2008 at 2:45 pm

12. addy says:

I needed this with the triplets… a big sister forcefield….to cure the she’s touching me issues…they would try to grab big sis toys in the car…

August 12th, 2008 at 2:49 pm

13. Sara says:

Maybe as long as the baby is still in it’s “original packaging” you can return them if things aren’t working out. Just don’t open it!

August 12th, 2008 at 4:38 pm

14. Paul says:

It’s so obvious! Have you ever had to take apart a carseat to clean the cover? You need an advanced degree in engineering and the patience of Gandhi! It’s not a baby protector – babies rinse off easy in the tub. The plastic shield protects the CARSEAT!

August 13th, 2008 at 7:16 am

15. Karen says:

Is like one of those UV protection swimming trunk. The See through UV protection for baby for the summer. No sunblock or chemicals for your baby to use. Just stroll away during summer time without worries and your baby will be protected from the sunburn. The special plastic is made of from the same material that Sunroom window made of that keeps the heat out and bounce off the UV from the sun.

August 13th, 2008 at 12:50 pm

16. Karen says:

This one is from my husband. He said:

Some type of cover for a baby when feeding baby food so it keeps the baby clean?

I got him involve, your site is fun! Thx

August 13th, 2008 at 1:51 pm

17. Christy says:

Looks kid of like a baby hampster ball.

August 13th, 2008 at 1:55 pm

18. Jen says:

Hmm. You could probably use that for changing your baby’s diaper. And perfect for a boy baby.

Lay down baby on plastic with butt in the circular “opening”.

The blue bonnet becomes a Pee Pee Tee Pee.

I have three boys ;)

August 13th, 2008 at 2:47 pm

19. My Boaz's RUth says:

Obvious! it’s packaging for the baby to be put on the shelves, ready to be purchased.

August 14th, 2008 at 9:28 am

20. Anderson says:

It’s a Hazmat baby suit….what a way to be prepared for the end of the world :)

August 14th, 2008 at 5:30 pm

21. Justin D. says:

1. It’s a device to prepare the baby for the teasing and ridicule he/she is bound to face the rest of their lives.

2. Why take pictures of your baby? Simply use this product to vacuum seal them and preserve them for years!

August 15th, 2008 at 3:40 pm

22. Natalie says:

It’s a baby sauna. Baby can sweat away those extra ounces of baby fat while watching tv! Trimmer thighs guaranteed. You don’t want to have an overweight child, do you?

August 18th, 2008 at 6:59 am

23. tawni says:

1. It’s for us germaphobe moms out there! Where can I get one?! LOL

(.but WOW.. I always thought it was a bad idea to put your baby in a PLASTIC BAG! )

2. Keeps all those baby smells in! No need to wash, change, etc..ever again! WOHOO!

lol

3. This takes the bib to an entirely new level. When you’re just too lazy to bend down and feed your baby; now you can just LAUNCH the food at her!

4. It’s so the baby can enjoy big brothers slip & slide while still protected in her carseat!

August 26th, 2008 at 3:26 pm

24. tawni says:

I’VE GOT IT!!

It’s the DIAPERS NO MORE carseat!

When they poopy, just squirt some soap in there, add water, shake and dump! TA DA!

No more diapers, no more wipes!!

It’s the shake a baby bathtub!

August 26th, 2008 at 3:39 pm

25. tawni says:

My nine year old just saw it and his comment was…. IS THAT A FREEZER BAG!?

lolol

August 26th, 2008 at 3:45 pm

26. cowsandlemonade says:

It’s the new vacuum-packed sealed baby! Now can fit in all luggage and carry-on suitcases!

August 27th, 2008 at 10:23 am

27. brettdl says:

I’m sorry, but all I can think of are those turkey baking bags.

Sorry.

August 27th, 2008 at 10:47 am

28. tawni says:

LOL! that last post made me laugh!

Horrible..but it’s true, makes us all think

..”Bake a Baby..” I had a long disturbing rant about infants left in cars after that, but I figured I better delete it; it was just too much for even me. I don’t want to offend anyone. eek

August 27th, 2008 at 7:21 pm