Fame or Shame, Game #2

Three photos of pink Palm-Palms gloves. Two are views on a hand and one photo shows a mother holding her baby with two gloved hands.

Here is where I introduce you to a baby product and you tell us why its inventor is destined for fame or shame. Feel free to be serious in your response, or have tongue firmly locked in cheek.

Palm-Palms Baby Bath Grips are terrycloth gloves parents put on before bathing their babies. The inventor explains:

"Holding a soapy, slippery little one can make even experienced parents wish they had a couple of extra hands… Stress no more! [...] Holding and controlling your slippery baby will be a breeze thanks to their no-slip surface. It’s just like the secure feeling of holding your baby in a towel!"

Palm-Palms are machine and hand washable.

There you have it. I invite you, dear Thinga-readers, to tell us… "Fame, because…" or "Shame, because…"

Comments

17 Responses to “Fame or Shame, Game #2”

Fame, because a mitt is so much easier than my existing method of injecting my baby with weekly human growth hormone supplements to spur hair growth all over his body in order to make him less slippery.

August 7th, 2008 at 1:34 am

2. Jennifer says:

Fame, because many parents would buy anything to avoid the nice cherry red bruise my 6 month old received two days ago after launching his slippery, soapy self out of my arms and head first onto the drain lever in the tub. Hell, I might buy them myself, since next time he decides to perform acrobatics in the tub, he might not JUST MISS his soft spot. *shudder*

August 7th, 2008 at 5:33 am

3. Stephanie says:

Fame! I was so terrified trying to pick up my squirmy little baby, my husband actually does bath time. I’d definitely buy this for safety and sanity.

August 7th, 2008 at 5:44 am

Fame: If it works. Because babies are REALLY slippery. This doesn’t hurt the baby, but could prevent some really serious accidents.

August 7th, 2008 at 6:29 am

5. Andie says:

Fame-this is a brilliant idea! Particularly when you have decided that your raisin-skinned toddler needs to get out of the tub and stop splashing the water all over the bathroom and s/he wants to hear nothing about it!

August 7th, 2008 at 8:11 am

6. mominPEI says:

Fame – as a mom with arthritis bath time can be very tricky. My husband usually pulls her out of tub, but now that she is older she will start climbing out before he is there. Any additional grip would help.

August 7th, 2008 at 10:30 am

7. Sandy says:

Fame – since they’re terry cloth, they can also double as wash mitts!

August 7th, 2008 at 10:40 am

8. kristina says:

Well… fame, I guess, but for later on when they are 8-12 months old and you want to take a quick shower with them. I only made that mistake once when my son was a baby.

August 7th, 2008 at 6:09 pm

9. Charity says:

Fame. I can see this becoming a “must” on registry lists. And soon there will knock offs! Just wish I’d thought of it.

August 7th, 2008 at 7:40 pm

10. Janis says:

Fame for sure, great for the tub, for soaping up, and for the shower – i’ve showered with my little guys lots and these would have been great to have!

August 8th, 2008 at 7:19 am

11. ATC says:

Fame, because the shame of using Dad’s gym socks with a couple of holes cut for her fingers and thumbs would send any righteous mother into fits of hysteria. Must. Buy. Marketed. Product.

August 11th, 2008 at 8:48 am

12. LiteralDan says:

This doesn’t meet a need I’ve ever had, but it’s not any worse than other products out there. So I’ll pick Fame over Shame, but really I’d vote for whatever synonym for Mediocrity ends with -ame.

August 11th, 2008 at 10:32 pm

13. Karen says:

Shame. In a sense is usable but if you think about it there’s cleanliness issues. “Put on before bathing your babies” .I like to wash my baby butt’s first before anything else. If i do that and use this, I will be using the same glove when I wash the body and face….just doesn’t work for me

August 13th, 2008 at 1:35 pm

14. Rebekah C says:

Fame because this looks like a product any new mom (or dad if it came in something other than pink) could really benefit from when they’re still getting used to handling a slippery, soapy baby.

August 16th, 2008 at 5:08 pm

15. tawni says:

FAME FAME FAME!
    Anything to keep my little ones from swooping out of my hands and onto the floor like those slippery, water filled tube toys (? WHAT were those things, anyway ?!) we all had when we were younger.
    I’ve got to order a pair for myself and a few for new moms to be that I know!!
    OHhh.and I cannot help myself….Karen? You wash your babies butt first? I always start with the face and end w/ their stinky little butts. In the end, honestly, they ARE sitting in butt water, so what’s the difference really? Unless you’re draining the tub and filling it w/ new water once you’ve washed your babies butt. ?? Hmm. Has me wondering now.
    Sorry..ranting. :) I will blame sleep deprivation. Again. But, really, I have been a blame shifter since way back, even before my sleep was ever threatened. lol

August 27th, 2008 at 7:29 pm

16. Macy says:

Hey! I’ve actuallu used these and FYI they work amazingly well. Super-easy to use and great for the shower too.

September 14th, 2008 at 6:30 pm

17. Miranda says:

Shame shame shame because you can just buy plain old cotton gloves at a drug store in the first aid aisle and they would serve the same purpose for (I’m guessing) at least half the price.

June 23rd, 2009 at 8:54 pm