Yeehar Doggy Saddle for Wild Baby-Canine Rides

A photo of a baby and a photo of a toddler sitting on saddles on top of large dogs.

The Yeehar Doggy Saddle allows your baby to ride the family dog just about anywhere. It comes in multiple sizes and colors to fit just about any dog, sold through the Babyoka website.

Concerned? No worries. Dog rides are “a safe and fun way for babies to gain spatial awareness, develop coordination and begin to negotiate conscious control of their limbs.”

But is this thing real? I sent an e-mail to the company and will gladly publish its response, if I receive one.

I can forgive the idea. Just yesterday a local newspaper ran photos of toddlers riding sheep. Granted, it was a rodeo and the kids wore helmets in anticipation of being thrown head first into the ground, but okay. Baby product inventors often have unwise moments of inspiration.

A close-up image zoomed to show fuzzy or blurriness where the saddle meets the dog and other unnatural appearances.

I can forgive the obviously doctored product images showing the saddle and babies digitally placed onto dogs.

Last Halloween I found many retailers selling infant costumes with baby faces digitally added.

If babies won’t smile using your product, fake it.

Photo of a baby's face sticks out a full body green Christmas tree costume with six branches and a yellow star above the face. When I say full-body I mean there are no openings for hands or feet.

I can forgive this saddle being listed as sold in “a range of sizes” while the order page has no option for selecting the size. Maybe the size adjusts with Velcro, Safety Elastic or Fast Drying Animal Epoxy.

I can forgive the retailer’s product description claiming the saddle meets the rigorous safety standards of the Little Infants Educational Society, an organization that only shows up online in references to this saddle when I googled it. Maybe the Society believes babies should not be exposed to electronic media, and thus has refused to operate its own website.

I can forgive this press release submitted by “Leapfrogg” which may or may not be this Internet marketing firm. I’m sure this isn’t a parody stunt designed to coax a bunch of bloggers into talking up this product, linking to the retailer and increasing the retailer’s page rank in search results. So please forgive me if I use a page rank busting no-follow tag in my links in this article.

What I cannot forgive is this glorious product being listed as out-of-stock.

And I cannot forgive the giveaway name “Yeehar” as in “har har.” Spoofs aren’t effective unless they fool a decent number of people.

And I cannot forgive the retailer not having a video demonstration of the saddle. Come on!

And I cannot forgive the babies depicted in the product photos failing to wear safety helmets, let alone not having rear-facing safety seats.

And most of all, I cannot forgive someone coming up with such an unusual idea without using it to make a socio-political statement. Why not invent an infant activity mat with dangling TV video cubes? Or a Hummer ride-on toy? Or infant high heel shoes? Well, 2 out of 3 isn’t bad.

I very much wanted to make this article a “Complete this sentence” game for… “I want to buy a dog saddle for my baby because…”

But can we parody a parody? Feel free to discuss, or tell us why you want to buy this awesomely fun, old fashioned toy that promotes bonding with animals.

Also see previously profiled real saddle-related products:

Comments

12 Responses to “Yeehar Doggy Saddle for Wild Baby-Canine Rides”

1. Jennifer says:

Wow. Just… wow. I’m constantly amazed at the just plain wierd stuff you come up with that someone thought it was a good idea to make for children.

As much as we joke about having the kids, particularly our 5 month old, ride around on our “puppies” (The 2 yr old is 70+, the 1 yr old is 60+), I would never dream of doing something like this. Well, ok, perhaps for a photo opp, with the calm puppy. He would just stand there & take it.

The most idiotic part of the website for me is the saddle on the basset hound. Granted, as this saddle is closest to the ground, it might be the safest ride for baby, but it’d have to be a preemie – any larger child would break the dog’s back!

July 14th, 2008 at 3:29 am

2. Jenni says:

Well, considering the innumerable times that I have seen children riding their dogs, I would have to say I’m not suprised…and I’m not kidding.

I know, the torture of for the dogs! But, the dogs are usually pretty good troopers and if they aren’t, you just redirect the child to something else!

July 14th, 2008 at 7:37 am

3. Mary says:

I agree with Jennifer that most dogs’ backs aren’t equipped to handle a child’s weight (which would mostly depend on the dog’s breed and size, and, of course, the child’s size and weight). Some large breed dogs actually have a tendency to have bad backs or be prone to them. Great Danes are a good example of this.

When I checked out the site, what I found funny is that they put the saddle under the car seat category. I don’t think this item would qualify as a car seat, but what would it be categorized as?

This is something I don’t think I’ll ever put my child on (he’s two years old and pretty hefty, at that). And, if I had a dog, I wouldn’t subject it to that kind of torture. My children can wait a while to try the real deal (pony or horse).

Oh, as far as the sheep riding thing…
    It is called Mutton Busting. I believe the age limit is 4 – 7, or under 50lbs. Same concept as bullriding – stay on as long as you can. The kids do wear helmets, but it does frighten me to think they could get hurt. My husband said he’s seen one when the kid falls off, he got back-kicked by the sheep. Good thing he was wearing a helmet, but still…

July 14th, 2008 at 12:00 pm

4. Sara says:

I’m glad we’re concerned with infant safety, but what about the dog’s safety. What a horrendous thing to do to a dog. Dogs are not built for this!!

Perhaps I should say that I want a doggy saddle for my kid so I can run the risk of hurting my child and my dog all at the same time!!

July 14th, 2008 at 12:15 pm

5. Dor says:

Poor dogs! The hairy one is an Afghan hound and they’re not a recommended dog for children never mind to be rode on by one. Yes, quite obviously doctored photos at any rate. Crazy!

I won a mutton busting competition as a young sprat. I stuck to that poor sheep like a burr. :D

July 14th, 2008 at 2:12 pm

6. Rebekah says:

This has to be a joke. Between the bad photo shopping and the ridiculous product, it is definately a joke. But I love it and it makes me laugh like crazy.

July 14th, 2008 at 6:55 pm

7. Kendra says:

Do you think they make one to ride my cockapoo?

July 14th, 2008 at 7:05 pm

8. Marcy says:

This seems like an animal-rights argument waiting to happen. But you can market just about anything to parents these days. Saddle for a dog? Weird, probably inhumane. Then again, there are saddles for dads. Tell me that isnt weirder?
    (http://www.findgift.com/gift-ideas/pid-55232/)

July 14th, 2008 at 7:13 pm

9. Kelly says:

Well, gosh, with gas prices rising the way they are who wouldn’t want one of these? This way I can hook the baby up to the dog, hook the dog up to the bicycle http://www.dog-training.com/springer.htm and I’m off to the store no gas needed. Hooray for the Little Infants Educational Society in their obviously unflagging efforts to promote infant safety. =)

July 17th, 2008 at 12:40 am

10. Ramsey says:

I’d also like to point out, as a professional Graphic Designer AND equine enthusiast (I own 5 horses and have ridden all my life), that not only was this a bad photo shop job with the saddles, but those are REAL saddles that the person obviously stole from somewhere and photo shopped onto the dogs. No way would they really fit a dog (such as the basset). So then it begs the question: what are you really getting for your $49 (or whatever the Pound to Dollar conversion would make it..)

Great blog tho, gave me just the laugh I needed today!

July 17th, 2008 at 10:54 am

11. Maiden says:

“Little Infants Educational Society” = L.I.E.S.

haha… not a trustworthy acronym!

July 17th, 2008 at 6:26 pm

12. melanie says:

I would sooooo love to have one of these.

September 15th, 2008 at 6:40 pm