The X-Y Collection: Mix-and-Match Attire for Pregnancy and Nursing

Fashion is the next to last thing this dad knows about. The last thing is nursing attire. But after three years blogging, I hope the following is worthy of mention.

Two modeling photos showing a pregnant and non-pregnant woman and a woman nursing her baby with one side of the garment pulled up.

The X-Y Collection by Derech is an array of stretchy cotton garment layers. It’s a mix-and-match deal where one piece covers half your chest and one boob, and the next piece is placed on top (or underneath) to wrap the rest of your chest.

See, that’s how mommy and daddy bloggers differ. My wife says "breast" and I say "boob." Hey, at least I didn’t say fun bag.

An illustration showing how two layers of the garment fit to become a tanktop. A second illustration shows the garment as a sleeveless shirt, short sleeve shirt and long sleeve shirt.

(Well, writing that last part at least made my wife laugh. It should; she said it.)

There are several Big Ideas here.

First, you buy a bunch of different colored pieces, then wear a new color combination each day.

Second, these are nursing garments because the stretchy fabric makes it easy to whip out your boob for a demanding baby.

The stretchiness appears also perfect for late term basketballs, and possibly even the scourge of old age. (A few of the gallery photos feature one, maybe two older women.)

Third, while the colors provide many variations, you can also get sleeved and sleeveless and can build a shirt, tunic or dress. The unifying factor is that they all appear to fit snugly on curvaceous bodies.

Oh, I knew there was a reason I don’t write fashion articles.

Photo of Andrea the android from Star Trek: The Original Series.

What really attracted me to the X-Y Collection was its passing similarity to the android Andrea in the Star Trek episode where her love for Captain Kirk breaks her little metal heart.

My wife’s take: The X-Y Collection looks comfortable and flexible with many styles, but tank tops don’t work for large breasts or colder weather. Don’t work for large breasts? Just look at Andrea!

The bad news is that the clothes are apparently only sold in shops in Israel. I e-mailed the company a few questions, but after plugging an automated response into an English-Hebrew translator one word at a time, it seems they are on vacation until August 1. If anyone reads Hebrew, maybe you can share additional details from the website.

Six photos of X-Y garments in different color combinations as short and long-sleeve shirts, tunics and dresses.

Comments

16 Responses to “The X-Y Collection: Mix-and-Match Attire for Pregnancy and Nursing”

1. MoJo says:

Interesting…but I don’t think I would wear these. My favorite nursing wear is a bravado tank under any shirt. I was really hesitant to spend $45+ on a tank top, but there is really nothing like them. I even tried generic brands, but the support offered in a bravado is better than most bras I have tried. When I wear one under a shirt, I can lift up my shirt to nurse without exposing my love handles, etc. And if I get really hot, I can take off my top shirt and am instantly cooler. I wonder how popular these outfits are in Israel?

July 29th, 2008 at 1:22 pm

2. Dani says:

It looks interesting, although I share your wife’s concern that it wouldn’t work for large breasted women.
    A few of the pictures in their gallery were a little odd to me though. The two women sort of dancing with one another? Not really sure what they were going for there? :)

July 29th, 2008 at 1:28 pm

3. Summer says:

I like these shirts – stylish, but I agree with your wife. Don’t think they would hold up big pregger jugs….nor plus size women. Andrea? really? I don’t think her “twins” are as big as most women breastfeeding. Its an optical illusion. lol

July 29th, 2008 at 1:55 pm

4. My Boaz's RUth says:

Dani: It is fairly common in Israel for women to dance with women and men with men. It doesn’t mean anything at all. A lot of this came because of not wanting to mix teh genders before marriage.

July 29th, 2008 at 2:45 pm

5. Sara says:

I would wear these based on their look, but the design seems to work best for one side only. If you wear the halter over the longer shirt, you can lift the halter side to nurse while your tummy stays covered. However, if you need to nurse on the other side, what do you do? Pull the v-neck down? Or lift the whole length of the longer shirt thus exposing your whole tummy while nursing. Either way, I think a nursing tank top is the way to go.

July 29th, 2008 at 6:24 pm

6. lindsey says:

These are actually kind of cute, although I don’t know how much I like the different color combinations. I guess I’m just not one to want to stick out in a crowd.

I’ve seen someone mention the Bravado in the comments? Are they really worth investing in? I saw them when I was nursing my first…and now I’m about to be nursing my second.

July 30th, 2008 at 6:07 am

7. Jennifer says:

This is some of the most unique-but-tasteful pregnancy attire I’ve ever seen. However, as I have more curves and bumps than the route of the Tour de France, I would never wear something so close fitting.

July 30th, 2008 at 7:31 am

8. MoJo says:

I have 3 kids and have some of my first nursing bras that were bravados. I have bought some new ones and the tanks and I wish I hadn’t wasted money on other brands in the begining. It is just my opinion, but after 3 nursers, I have really needed support. And all their products have been excellent in the support department.

July 30th, 2008 at 7:43 am

9. JMo says:

As if having basketball boobs isn’t bad enough, now we have to dress like clowns? No thanks.

July 30th, 2008 at 9:23 am

Hmm, I kind of like them. Some have bright colors, but many are muted. The problem I see is if the collection became very popular, pregnant and nursing women would stick out in a crowd, unless I suppose you wear solid colors.

July 30th, 2008 at 9:32 am

11. kelli says:

To jump on the Bravado bandwagon — I really like the tanks and bras. You should check out their “sale” on the bravado website. They have some discounted items that you can try and not feel like you’ve wasted a bunch of money if they don’t work well for you. If you like them, sign up for their email and you can get discount codes — which also apply to the sale items!

July 30th, 2008 at 9:32 am

12. bonnie says:

It seems to me that with even a limited amount of sewing skills you could purchase two american apparel shirts and create something like this. Although not terribly cost effective, you could also use the remaining material from the one cut off shirt to make a tiny shirt for baby. Also, although weird, it is usually cheaper to buy a t-shirt than make one.

July 30th, 2008 at 10:38 am

13. Sandy says:

Oh, I’m a mom and I say “boob” too!

July 30th, 2008 at 12:22 pm

14. Karen says:

I’ll never forget driving home from my in-laws’ house one night when my husband turned to me and said “You made my Mom say boobs.”

I tried nursing wear the first time around but honestly, I wear an XL top (size 14/16) and I could not find nursing wear that fit correctly.

Now I have a Hooter Hider (yes that is their brand name) for those rare times I feel the need to cover up while nursing. The last two times I used it were when I nursed in a busy hallway at an old-time railroad museum full of old men and when I nursed at an ordination ceremony for a catholic priest.

July 30th, 2008 at 11:27 pm

15. Mary says:

Being a plus-size mom, with another one on the way (due this October), I’m not sure if I could wear something like this. When you mentioned that: “the unifying factor is that they all appear to fit snugly on curvaceous bodies”, my first thought was ‘no’. Being a plus-size mom, I have extra ‘rolls’ and I just don’t feel comfortable wearing something so snug that everyone around could count the number of rolls I have. Although, with much determination this pregnancy, I, thus far, have successfully stayed within my doctor’s suggested weight gain. At 30 weeks, I’ve only gained about 5 pounds. My doctor doesn’t want me to gain over 15 pounds. I plan to nurse so the pounds may come off even after giving birth.

Also, if you are nursing, what about leakage and support? It looks like you are supposed to wear this without a bra. If that is the case, I’d find it hard to believe that this top offers enough support, especially for women with larger, heavier breasts. And how much would a nursing pad show through this snug garment, so as to absorb leaks? Honestly, I don’t mind nursing and not having to cover up. My son would sweat from being covered, so I just gave up. I’d rather my child not be fussy and irritable while nursing.

August 2nd, 2008 at 9:12 am

16. Rachel says:

They basically sell out of one store in Israel. You can order directly from them but it is all for local orders assuming you know what size you are and what colors you want. You have most of the information already.

August 7th, 2008 at 4:12 pm