Friday, July 18th, 2008
Can You Outhink Disney’s Muppets?
Beaker: Ode To Joy
Disney’s Muppets are releasing viral videos online with individual Muppet characters having their own Youtube accounts. I make a point of calling them Disney’s Muppets because they haven’t been the same since Jim Henson’s death and their sale to Disney.
I wish Henson was around to do ‘em right. Disney is producing mostly mini musical acts that I’m sure play well on TV and for other commercial reusage.
Wouldn’t it be neater / better / more fun if the Muppet characters were creating informal homespun videos in the same style as what everyday people do on Youtube?
- Kermit’s vacation video of his return to his childhood bog.
- Miss Piggy’s disgust as she returns to her childhood sty wearing a white dress and high heels.
- Gonzo’s reel-to-reel footage from his first time being shot from his backyard cannon. When he speaks today we see the many broken windows in his neighborhood.
- Animal’s series of videos as he learns how to use a camera, first
close-ups of his face, then using the camera as a drum, and finally a
full five minutes of his yabbering nonsensically to us like a Youtube pro â€” as if we are riveted by his presence.
- Dr. Bunson Honeydew recalling fond memories from his high school chemistry class.
- Beaker recalling not-so-fond memories from that same class as Bunson’s lab partner.
- Scooter carrying a handycam around his house party. Rowlf playing an inappropriate song on the piano. Gonzo’s chickens eating unpopped popcorn. Miss Piggy embarrassed being caught pilfering the kitchen trash for slop-like food scraps. Statler and Waldorf asleep on the couch.
Gonzo the Great: Classical Chicken
Swedish Chef: Habanera
Sam the Eagle: Stars & Stripes Forever
Statler and Waldorf: Hrmph
Statler and Waldorf: Mmph
Statler and Waldorf: Blech
Statler and Waldorf: Meh
Hey, they are decently funny. Enjoy, and then post your ideas for better videos. We can play them out in our heads.
Here is a list of Muppet characters. Statler and Waldorf aside, what would YOU want to see the rest of the Muppets doing in their own personally shot videos?