Can You Outhink Disney’s Muppets?

Beaker: Ode To Joy

Disney’s Muppets are releasing viral videos online with individual Muppet characters having their own Youtube accounts. I make a point of calling them Disney’s Muppets because they haven’t been the same since Jim Henson’s death and their sale to Disney.

I wish Henson was around to do ‘em right. Disney is producing mostly mini musical acts that I’m sure play well on TV and for other commercial reusage.

Wouldn’t it be neater / better / more fun if the Muppet characters were creating informal homespun videos in the same style as what everyday people do on Youtube?

• Kermit’s vacation video of his return to his childhood bog.
  • Miss Piggy’s disgust as she returns to her childhood sty wearing a white dress and high heels.
  • Gonzo’s reel-to-reel footage from his first time being shot from his backyard cannon. When he speaks today we see the many broken windows in his neighborhood.
  • Animal’s series of videos as he learns how to use a camera, first
    close-ups of his face, then using the camera as a drum, and finally a
    full five minutes of his yabbering nonsensically to us like a Youtube pro — as if we are riveted by his presence.
  • Dr. Bunson Honeydew recalling fond memories from his high school chemistry class.
  • Beaker recalling not-so-fond memories from that same class as Bunson’s lab partner.
  • Scooter carrying a handycam around his house party. Rowlf playing an inappropriate song on the piano. Gonzo’s chickens eating unpopped popcorn. Miss Piggy embarrassed being caught pilfering the kitchen trash for slop-like food scraps. Statler and Waldorf asleep on the couch.

So far there seem to be videos for Beaker, The Great Gonzo, Sam the Eagle, and the Swedish Chef (all embedded below).

Gonzo the Great: Classical Chicken

Swedish Chef: Habanera

Sam the Eagle: Stars & Stripes Forever

Statler and Waldorf: Hrmph

Statler and Waldorf: Mmph

Statler and Waldorf: Blech

Statler and Waldorf: Meh

Hey, they are decently funny. Enjoy, and then post your ideas for better videos. We can play them out in our heads.
Here is a list of Muppet characters. Statler and Waldorf aside, what would YOU want to see the rest of the Muppets doing in their own personally shot videos?

Comments

8 Responses to “Can You Outhink Disney’s Muppets?”

1. cancan says:

Sweetums, reflecting on being raised by chihuahua’s.

July 18th, 2008 at 5:15 am

2. cancan says:

Whoa! Please forgive the above misplaced apostrophe. I hate it when people do that! I am sleep deprived, sorry.

July 18th, 2008 at 5:19 am

3. Kendra says:

I love the Muppets – thanks for pointing those out, I didn’t know they were out there. I thought your scenarios were pretty funny.

For some reason, I pictured Kermit & Miss Piggy living together. The footage would be more of a “Caught on Video” scene where Kermit snaps, finally sick of the Pig’s abuse.

July 18th, 2008 at 5:46 am

4. Allison (CodeCrafter) says:

For some reason I keep coming up with cross-over TV show ideas like:

Sam Eagle on the Colbert Report

Swedish Chef’s audition tape for Top Chef

Dr. Teeth and Electric Mayhem Behind the Music Style.

Other random ideas:

Bunsen practicing his speech for accepting an Ig Noble prize.

Sweetums trying to hid from the paparazzi

July 18th, 2008 at 7:23 am

5. Stephanie says:

I’d like to see Sam the Eagle, Rizzo the Rat, Janice, the Swedish Chef, and Beeker in a Real World like reality show. Then Rizzo would invite is hundreds of brothers and sisters over for a party and chaos would ensue.

I’d also like to see Miss Piggy on Project Runway, making fun of the skinny models.

The Muppets really haven’t done anything really cool in awhile, have they? Did they all retire?

Oh… one other thing… The Smithsonian is having a traveling exhibit on Jim Henson. It will be in DC until October and then it starts traveling. Here’s the link: http://www.sites.si.edu/henson/
    Since I work for Smithsonian, I figured I should plug our own exhibit.

July 18th, 2008 at 8:14 am

6. Ticia says:

First off, the videos have sadly now been removed from Youtube, so I’m glad you embedded them here.
    But, now having watched all of them, and being a huge fan of the muppet show, I’d say these are very representative of the show, which was after all a vaudvellian show (I don’t think that was a word).

Other ideas for Sam the American Eagle: he acts really well opposite other people as straight man, so a lot of duets would work, my all time favorite muppet skit is Sam talking to us “about nudity in the world today,” so a similar lecture could be hilarious.

There’s an audio somewhere of someone doing a Swedish Chef vs. Iron Chef parody. It’s really hilarious, and would be even better as a video. Swedish Chef vs. anyone would be fun to watch.

I like the Miss Piggy on Project Runway. Would make a great bit.

July 18th, 2008 at 2:22 pm

7. Ticia says:

And now it’s back. I’m so very confused.

July 18th, 2008 at 2:25 pm

One of the Statler and Waldorf videos was deleted today and replaced a duplicate at a new URL.

July 18th, 2008 at 2:29 pm