The Last on The Last Lecture

Here’s an update for a guy mentioned a couple times here and on numerous other blogs you probably read. He’s worth noting again, with a couple new videos.

Randy Pausch died today. He is the 47-year-old Carnegie Mellon professor with terminal cancer who gave a ‘last lecture,’ titled Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams, in September 2007. It was really a message to his three young children. Randy had 3 to 6 months to live, and lasted 11.

Here again is his original Last Lecture to his kids (1 hour, 16 minutes)…
The Last Lecture is also available in book form at Amazon.

Here is Randy’s commencement speech given just two months ago on How to Live Your Life Well (6 minutes, 30 seconds).

And here’s an unusual one… a lecture on time management from someone without much time… oriented toward students and professionals, but really applicable to everyone (1 hour, 16 minutes). The end is especially good, starting at 1:11:30.

And last… Ten questions for Randy Pausch (Time Magazine)

Comments

8 Responses to “The Last on The Last Lecture”

1. Tara says:

I think I heard about his lecture and book here. I ordered his book at Amazon and loved it. I was so inspired by it and have recommended it to so many of my friends. I’m so sad that he passed on today. His children and wife were lucky to have such a man in their lives. They have my prayers and sympathies.

July 25th, 2008 at 4:21 pm

2. Stephanie says:

I saw him on Oprah when I was home sick one day, and the way he handled such difficult and tragic news was amazing. He was inspirational to so many people. My sympathies go out to his family, his colleagues and his students. They were so fortunate to have him in their lives.

July 25th, 2008 at 5:48 pm

3. Lee says:

Thanks for posting this…I should be watching the Sox/Yankees game, but instead I’m sitting on my bed crying because I can hug and smell and kiss and tickle my children, but Randy can’t do the same with his.

It might help you to know that the 1h 16m video above cuts off the end of the lecture (the real lecture is around 1h 25m).

Here’s a link:

July 25th, 2008 at 6:07 pm

4. Diana says:

What a loss! Thanks for posting the video links. I had seen parts on Primetime Live, I think, but I’ll definitely check the others out…

July 26th, 2008 at 10:58 am

5. Vanessa says:

Many thanks for this post.
    One week ago I was told I didn´t have cancer. I´d spent a whole month terrified and it was such a relief. I have many more years to enjoy my sweet children and I was thinking today how lucky I am to be able to achieve all the things I wish for. Not necessarily with my work but with myself as a Mother and person. I was travelling back from Germany after visiting family last Friday. The children were tired and the journey was long, plus the doggy was eager to get back home. Thank God that I can have even those stressfull moments with my family. Cancer, or even the threat of it, seems to put life a little more into perspective. Dissatissfaction in life can be very relative. Thank you for one more reminder of this.

July 27th, 2008 at 11:13 am

6. Allie says:

Thank you for sharing this info & the links. I didn’t know he had passed. They say, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” He really did. He left a mark on this world that I hope isn’t forgotten. His “Last Lecture” should be required viewing at high schools and colleges. I hope his family knows how much of an impression he made on everyone. I bet he was a great instructor. I would’ve liked to be in one of his classes.

July 27th, 2008 at 1:40 pm

7. Paul says:

AJ, I know you are not a fan of network TV, but I just ran across this notice on the local newspaper’s website, and I thought you might make an exception in this case:

“The Last Lecture: A Celebration of Life” (10 p.m. on Channel 10): An ABC “Primetime” special about Carnegie Mellon professor Randy Pausch, who died last week from pancreatic cancer, and whose life-affirming talk became a massive Internet sensation.

Hope all is well with Little Miss and Little Mister. :)

July 28th, 2008 at 8:45 am

Paul, you vastly underestimate my ability to be cynical of the mainstream media. Is an hour news program going to tell me anything of substance not covered by watching the original 1 hour, 16 minute lecture?

He entered the mainstream media to spread his message, and if his book sales help his kids go to college, great. But the media now is idolizing the man for its own sickening profit. From its inception, this story was a two-parter for the media with the big payoff being his death. They confuse the man with his message.

That said, thanks for letting me / us know about the program. Some folks I’m sure will enjoy it and I never want to discourage people from sharing information. (I know I kind of did that just now, but I also have to be honest.)

July 28th, 2008 at 9:34 am