Photo of three Baby Alive dolls stylized and sold as Hispanic, Caucasian and African-American.

Baby Alive by Hasbro is a doll that "eats" special food and "drinks" from a bottle and "pees" in her diaper and falls "asleep." She speaks fun electronic phrases such as "Mmm…good!" and "Uh-oh, I made a stinky!" All of this is possible through the magic of 4 AA batteries.

Check out a 1980s commercial or the 2008 commercial for Baby Alive.

A Wets & Wiggles edition of Baby Alive drinks water and then wriggles and cries because her diaper is soiled. Afterward, squeeze her bracelet to make her coo.

A Sip ‘N Slurp edition of Baby Alive drinks "juice" from a straw.
Step 1. Insert straw in mouth.
Step 2. Squeeze her belly with all your might.
Step 3. Watch the doll simultaneously drink and pee.
Step 4. Change diaper and wait for police to arrive.

I know every reader of Thingamababy loves electronic toys, and especially electronic dolls. Well, actually I don’t. This might bring out the Hatfield or McCoy in each of us. But, I must ask. I must.

Please, complete this sentence: I want to buy an electronic Baby Alive infant simulator for my child because…

Comments

19 Responses to “Complete this Sentence: I want to buy an electronic Baby Alive infant simulator for my child because…”

…Baby Dead isn’t nearly as much fun.

June 26th, 2008 at 12:31 am

2. thordora says:

because creeping the crap out of my mother is a skill easy to learn.

June 26th, 2008 at 5:12 am

3. adrienne says:

…it’s a kinder, gentler way to meet our robot overlords.

June 26th, 2008 at 6:46 am

4. jennifer says:

…I had one when i was little! I had the 1980′s one though. The sip ‘n slurp one creeps me out though. May be not for her now (she is 3) but in a couple years.

June 26th, 2008 at 7:09 am

5. Jennifer says:

…teen pregnancy is on the rise, the early they learn how difficult it is to take care of a baby the better; in other words: this is like that horrible NBC show show younger children.

June 26th, 2008 at 7:21 am

I had one of those as a kid! (Well, my sister did)

I don’t remember the electronic parts of her getting played with as much as just a doll.

June 26th, 2008 at 8:44 am

PS We did love the little juice bottles that “disappeared” as they were held upside down. As if the baby was really drinking. We used those a LOT.

June 26th, 2008 at 8:45 am

8. JMo says:

It’s never too soon to drive home the dangers of unprotected sex.

June 26th, 2008 at 8:58 am

9. Sunny says:

…we need more soiled diapers in our house! (NOT!!!)

June 26th, 2008 at 9:08 am

10. addy says:

I got this for my 4 year old daughter so she could practice for when her new sisters arrived…now I can leave her to babysit them and she knows how to change and feed them…it was good practice…I had a hard time getting the hispanic version…I tried to order it from walmart but was appalled that hispanic baby alive was 50 dollars and the white version was only 40…I told walmart that I could buy a real hispanic child cheaper…I got a call back a few days later saying that it was a mistake for the hispanic version to be more expensive…side note is that the hispanic one is bi-lingual.

June 26th, 2008 at 6:59 pm

11. Heather Mullen says:

…start teaching them young to raise their siblings.

June 27th, 2008 at 6:15 am

12. summer says:

My niece got one of these… those diapers are expensive to replace and that thing pooped alot! I don’t think I’d buy one for my daughter….

June 27th, 2008 at 6:18 am

13. addy says:

as for summer’s post and the diapers being expensive…it helped teach my little girl to be a proper welfare mom…she says “mommy if I only feed her once a day then she only poops once a day so when I am low on diapers I just don’t feed her that day…she eventually stops her complaining…”I was like she is just soooo nurturing…also she now has discovered that her baby alive is potty trained if you feed her over the toilet…HAHA the joy of this toy is endless…surprise any mama would deny it to their offspring…LOL

June 27th, 2008 at 10:22 am

14. Stephanie says:

she goes to Gloucester High School in Massachusetts.

June 27th, 2008 at 5:23 pm

15. Colette says:

why would I want my child to use their imagination during play, when the toy can itself can suck up all of the creativity and poop it right out?

June 27th, 2008 at 9:34 pm

16. LiteralDan says:

…because I want her to know precisely what a pain in the a** those lovely bundles of joy can be. There’s nothing like an informed decision.

June 30th, 2008 at 11:47 pm

17. Patti says:

… because I don’t already change enough diapers around here. Come on… I feed the cats… I walk the dog… of *course* I’m gonna be the one changing the electronic doll diapers. That’s a given.

July 4th, 2008 at 11:52 am

18. tawni says:

… oh no I don’t… I think I will wait on the one that will get the poop out of it’s play diaper and smear it all over her play bassinett while screaming louder than two roaring jets. I’m sure that will be next. OH, and I hear the next big thing will be “Snot-Nosed Suzy”; yep, she gets a fever, runny nose, eye-ooze, throws up AND has explosive diarreah! ALL AT ONCE!WHAT FUN your little girl will have taking care of Snot Nosed Suzy! *once activated does not turn off*

WHO is coming up w/ these things?! Really!?
    I did, though, get my daughter the baby doll that gets a fever and cries..lol… yeah, fun… she cries and cries til you make her feel better by giving her “medicine” w/ this magnetic spoon…. NOW IF YOU LOSE the spoon like we did you just freak out thinking the thing will NEVER stop crying! (it does eventually stop)

I SO recommend buying any of these toys for your neices and nephews, though!! :)

August 26th, 2008 at 6:00 pm

19. ana says:

gostei muito dessa boneca, vou ganhar uma de natal! hoje é dia 17/12/2009- o natal esta perto!!

AJ’s note: Google translate says: “I really enjoyed this doll, I won one for Christmas! today is day 17/12/2009- Christmas is near!”

December 17th, 2009 at 2:19 pm