Rocking Horses, Now with Added Water

Three photos, one of the Water Rocker, one of a Water Rocker schematic and one of a drawing depicting a child sitting on the Water Rocker as water shoots above the child.

Behold the Water Rocker, a plastic rocking seahorse that shoots water from its ears.

It’s meant to be a fun summertime toy. Jam a lawn hose up the horse’s you-know-what, plant your kid in the saddle, and each time he leans forward water sprays up and over him.

Alas, the Water Rocker is not on the market yet because its inventor is still seeking interest from a manufacturer.

He dares ask… “What parent could deny their tiny tot the gleeful fun of a water squirting rocking horse?” Hmmm.

What do you think?
Giddyup, let’s ride!
No thanks. We’ll stick with our garden hose.
Can you make it a floating water-spraying rocking seahorse for swimming pools?
My child is allergic to water.
I’ll wait for a Rocking Spitting Camel.

Free polls from Pollhost.com

It leads me to wonder. What other children’s toys could be improved with lawn sprinklers?

• A teeter-totter that squirts an arc of water over you and onto your mate each time you land with a thud.
  • A trampoline that blasts water horizontally upon all the people waiting for their turn to jump.
  • A swing set that uses your child’s motion to pump water up the
    frame and out onto the surrounding area. Added bonus: when you dismount
    the swing you land in a huge mud puddle.

Why stop there? Why not build a baby stroller that leaves a trail of soap bubbles in its wake?

Like it? Hate it? Have other ideas?

Comments

10 Responses to “Rocking Horses, Now with Added Water”

1. lindsey says:

I think it’s a cute idea. My toddler would love it.

May 6th, 2008 at 6:12 am

2. Tracy says:

It looks cool, and I bet the kids would love it. But you can’t beat running the hose down the slide to make your own water slide!

May 6th, 2008 at 7:15 am

3. Jennifer says:

Okay, I know it’s a silly water toy, but I have a secret obsession: water toys. I am a huge fan of water play and, if I could, I would play in the water all day no matter what the weather. So, I would probably buy this. SIlly, I know! Nothing beats a water hose…but I wouldn’t be able to resist.

May 6th, 2008 at 7:24 am

I’ve been officially put in my place. So, why do you suppose a water horse hasn’t come to market? I wouldn’t normally think of using a rocking horse outside.

May 6th, 2008 at 9:26 am

5. Kathleen says:

Personally, I would never buy this. My 3 year old son HATES the sprinkler and with this practically shooting water in his face, it would be more like a torture ride in this house. We’ll stick to our small wading pool….

May 6th, 2008 at 12:33 pm

6. Katie says:

When it’s stinking hot outside any way of playing in the water is great. I think this sounds like lots of fun, actually.

May 6th, 2008 at 1:02 pm

7. Jeff in NJ says:

shooting each other with the hose is still the best water sport. My boys and I do it any chance we can get, sometimes to mommy’s chagrin!

Besides, I can just see all the muddy indentations in the lawn from the rocking/sprinkling combo…

May 6th, 2008 at 6:07 pm

8. Cindi says:

Hi, Some of them do sound like perfectly good ideas. Of course, there has been so much green talk about conserving water, some of these would not be doing that. Thanks,Cindi

May 6th, 2008 at 6:49 pm

9. Angela says:

I don’t know. I don’t think I’d buy one. If he’s out playing in the water I think I’d rather him run around instead of sit. For what it would probably have to cost I’d stick with a sprinkler for him to run around in.

May 6th, 2008 at 7:42 pm

10. Holly says:

Just discovered your site, and I love your writing! This post made me snort, I love it! (The post, not hte water-squirting rocking horse)

May 7th, 2008 at 6:40 pm