Thursday, May 22nd, 2008
Baby Link Roundup #5,438
1. How do I say in English that today is my birthday? â€” A very old and very nice story from a grandmother’s first grade birthday. There’s a long introduction, but it’s worth it. Find more stories in the Mormor Stories section. Mormor means maternal grandmother in Swedish. Bonus for me: the stories are set in my neck of the woods.
2. Top 100 American baby names in 2007 â€” From the Social Security Administration via the Babies & Toddlers blog at About.com.
3. Beans Around the World â€” Do you need an excuse for a toddler adventure this weekend? Buy or print a can of S&W Black Beans, then photograph said toddler with said beans at a popular local spot. Because! [link via Neatorama]
4. Historical infant feeding devices â€” Few details, but lots of odd photos. Look Ma, no plastic! We survived as a people somehow.
5. Giving up TV â€” Or why Badass Dad hates Dora the Marketing Tool.
6. Paper airplane in New York â€” A simple video I enjoyed watching with my daughter. (Did I already link this?) A little explanation was required because she’s never been to a big city.
7. Welcome back Nested â€” Hey, after a new baby, the blog went silent last October. It’s back.
8. Congratulations to Shooting the Kids (a photography blog) â€” After a 2-month hiatus, they have something new and small and smelly and noisy and cute to document.
9. The future of pudding caps: A flexible substance called D30 reacts like a hard surface when hit at high speed. It’s in some skiing caps today to provide head protection. Might it convert toddler hats into pudding caps without the ghastly ugliness of looking like a helmet? The D30 folks say there are no plans yet, but just you wait. The Thinga-Predictor 3000 says we’ll have them within five years.
10. Ringbo Air Robot: The worst ride-on toy in existence. I’m sure it will be a big hit. After the first 10 seconds of the video, you’ve seen it all. It goes forward and reverse, but mostly in circles, apparently. [Link via DaddyTypes.]
11. Last week’s photo of Brett’s kids (DadTalk) falling stoically off a storage shelf now has video goodness. Ooh, not stoic. More like sacks of wet cement.
Use the coupon code TMB-MAY-8 to grab 25% off shoes at www.VincentShoeStore.us through May 31, 2008, except for shoes in the Closeout Cubby. Seriously, check out the closeout sale because shoes are 50% to 75% off.