Game: Guess the Purpose of this Item, Take Two

This contest has two stages and several winners.

Photo of a clump of green something. Multiple shades of green filaments or blades or strings or who knows what are amassed in this monstrosity.

Stage 1: [concluded] Can you guess the purpose of this item?

The Rules: Post questions in the comment form below that I can answer with a "yes" or a "no" (ala Twenty Questions). If you’re making a formal guess, ask it in the form of, "Is it a…" or "Is it for…"

The Prize: The winner receives glory. That’s all, but isn’t glory enough?

One Hint: I was going to include this item in an article titled Three Baby Products for a Fanatically Deranged Baseball-Obsessed
Parent
. Although, knowing me, hints aren’t always meant to help
(see the previous contest that lasted to 25 questions).

Update: Oh, snap! Glory goes to Meg and Kate who were the first to correctly identify this green clump as a baby hat. Yes, indeed, it is Kate’s Moss by Zooni. I saw one in person last week and was duly, umm,
intrigued. There really is truth in advertising. The kid looked like he
was wearing a clump of moss on his head.

Some product blogs call this hat hip and cute. I love the more
carefully worded descriptions of "creative" and "turning heads
everywhere." You got that right.

Stage 2 [concluded, sort of]: Suggest a new, more inventive purpose for this item. It need not be parenting-related, but there’s extra glory if you manage it.

The Rules: Simply tell us an alternate idea or use for the item. So, what is it?

Update: Glory plaudits go to:

• Christy for guessing a hand warmer for when watching baseball games.
  • Chelsea for guessing a baseball purse… because that guess makes absolutely no sense at all.
  • Mega glory to Jodi for suggesting a new style of Pee Pee Tee Pee. I’ve seen too many parents who let their kids (boys and girls) pee into the grass at the park.

My guess would have been… Sigmund from Sigmund and the Sea Monsters.

Please don’t stop… Do continue suggesting alternate uses…

Comments

27 Responses to “Game: Guess the Purpose of this Item, Take Two”

1. Brian says:

Is that the blown-up bits of the Bartman ball?

April 17th, 2008 at 2:44 am

2. Meg says:

Is it a baby hat made from an old Philadelphia Phillies mascot costume?

Whatever it is, it’s bizarre looking!

April 17th, 2008 at 4:56 am

3. Kathleen says:

Is it the inside “Guts” of a softball???

April 17th, 2008 at 5:30 am

4. Kate says:

Is it a hat? A….. turf hat?

April 17th, 2008 at 6:10 am

5. Amanda says:

yeah, I was going with hat also. alternately, maybe the leavings from a Muppet haircut?

April 17th, 2008 at 6:23 am

6. Christy says:

Is it a hand warmer – something a Fanatically Deranged Baseball-Obsessed Parent would use to keep their kids hands warm at an extremely cold baseball game?

April 17th, 2008 at 6:36 am

7. Allison (CodeCrafter) says:

I too think it looks like a hat. I’m going to go a little further and guess it is a hand knit hat!

April 17th, 2008 at 7:02 am

8. Katie says:

Is it a bunch of that fake grass you use in floral arrangements, or possibly in an Easter basket?

April 17th, 2008 at 7:16 am

That’s it. It’s a baby hat. You folks got it much faster than my wife who considered things such as… food for a pony?

Now, continue with the alternate ideas…

April 17th, 2008 at 7:27 am

10. summer says:

Looks like it would make a good mop to me? Either that or our new bunny we got on easter would probably love to eat it!

Perhaps baked Seaweed casserole?

Or is it green and whole grain spaghetti noodles tossed with bean sprouts?

No I got it – thats what my husband just pulled out of our drain! No wonder it wasn’t working!

April 17th, 2008 at 7:37 am

11. Jennifer says:

It could be used as camouflage. Don’t want to cut that waist high grass? Put on the hat and sit down. No one will notice!

April 17th, 2008 at 8:00 am

12. Allison (CodeCrafter) says:

It’s just begging to be made into a puppet.

I bet it would also do well at dusting or polishing.

Could be great for practical jokes too. I’m thinking hide it up your sleeve and then pretend to sneeze while pulling it out!

Or you could pretend you found it in the bathtub drain while cleaning.

Or just leave it on some unsuspecting persons seat.

Or put it on your plate at a restaurant and then complain to the wait-staff there is a monster hair ball in your food.

April 17th, 2008 at 8:11 am

13. Christina says:

Heh. My first guess was “geocache” (because I’ve made one that looked much like this), but then I remembered I was reading a parenting blog.

April 17th, 2008 at 8:17 am

14. Chelsea says:

Is it a holder for a baseball? A baseball purse?

April 17th, 2008 at 8:50 am

15. Cindi says:

I would turn it over and plant a flower in it. I could also line a pot with it and then plant. It might make a decorative bird’s nest! Also, I could just display in my home as a decoration and see how many people have the nerve to ask me what it is.
    Thanks,Cindi

April 17th, 2008 at 9:56 am

16. addy says:

I think it is the scariest hat I have ever seen…

alternative use…when your child is bad you can make her wear it as punishment…

or could paint your child green and she can be an asparagus for halloween…you know the asparagus song from ALF? asparagus asparagus makes you feel more able….probably not I am just lame and old…

I could put them on my triplets and then even more people will stare….

April 17th, 2008 at 10:56 am

17. Jodi says:

Is it a pee pee tee pee?

April 17th, 2008 at 12:07 pm

18. Jed G says:

I’m not sure I’d want my kid wearing such a camouflage hat – it’s hard enough to keep track of him already. It does seem that it might invite bird attacks, especially in the spring – great nesting material!

It could be a way of hiding unsightly objects in the yard. Or, if they came in different colors (yellow, red) you could spike it with hairspray for a really neat effect.

April 17th, 2008 at 1:39 pm

19. Kate says:

I think it would make a great rock cozy.

April 17th, 2008 at 2:27 pm

20. Jenn says:

My cat would sure love to use that to scratch her claws.

April 17th, 2008 at 7:18 pm

21. bombaygirl says:

my son saw the picture and said: “The penguin is in the bush!!” So there.

April 17th, 2008 at 7:52 pm

22. HappyMom says:

No one yet, said Chia Pet!

April 18th, 2008 at 11:58 am

Oh, that’s good! Double plus glory plaudits to HappyMom. Well played.

April 18th, 2008 at 12:04 pm

24. Jenna says:

It looks as if it encourages birds to nest….although I have seen a few hairdos like that too…..

April 19th, 2008 at 8:08 pm

25. Noreen says:

It is a knitted hat but if you filled it with dirt you could use it as a hanging plant basket

April 20th, 2008 at 12:22 am

26. ChristinA says:

You could use it as a key hider, though that wouldn’t work so well in an urban environment…

Make a stand for it and decorate it at Christmas: minitree!

April 27th, 2008 at 3:28 pm

27. tawni says:

too FUNNY! Nothing to do with our babies…But, our DOGS! You know, for those days you’re just to lazy to pick up the poo from one of your neighbors yards during a walk. Yep! Just toss this over the pile and walk on..Yep, walk on!

August 27th, 2008 at 7:46 pm