Juice Boxes and Water: A Bad Idea or the Worst Idea?

Behold: water in a juice box.

Photos of Aqua2Go and Wateroos water juice boxes.

The idea behind boxed water is that juice boxes are convenient, but the juice itself is bad for kids. Juice is bad? Sort of, in some ways, you betcha. Consumed on a daily basis at school (pre, elementary, high, etc.), water is safer for teeth, body weight and so forth.

Aqua2Go, by Esgee Enterprises, comes in a plain white and baby blue box. If it appears kind of boring, maybe it’s because "Adults everywhere are discovering the convenience of the drink box" according to the company’s opening website text. Kids are thrown a brief one-word mention in the title graphic ("& Kids").

Meanwhile, Wateroos by Maddie’s Beverage Company, is all-kid with cartoon-laden imagery. The boxes come in original, apple, berry and grape flavors. "Original" is a fancy way of saying "plain water."

The flavored versions contain only two ingredients — water and natural flavors. Precisely what a "natural flavor" consists of is a bit ambiguous. Maddie’s description leads off with a broad US federal definition and follows with its own explanation which isn’t much better.

Vegsource.com states about natural flavors, "It’s basically impossible to tell from a label what is in natural flavors unless the company has specified it on the label." So, natural flavors it is. One mother has reviewed the flavors, finding that her kid only really likes the "original" flavor.

Now… why do fruit juices get a bad rap?

• At school, juice coats teeth in bacteria-loving sugar for hours. The bacteria then produce acid that attacks teeth and causes cavities. It’s a bad idea to feed a toddler with sweeteners every day if the sweeteners won’t be brushed away for hours to come.
  • Juice has a lot of calories, rivaling soda, contributing to childhood obesity.
  • Physical whole fruits and vegetables are more nutritious than juice.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has specific recommendations:

• Fruit juice should not be given to infants before 6 months of age.
  • After 6 months of age, infants should not get juice from bottles or cups that allow them to consume juice easily throughout the day.
  • Infants should not get fruit juice at bedtime. (It’s an issue known as baby bottle tooth decay.)
  • For children ages 1 to 6, intake of fruit juice should be limited to four to six ounces per day.
  • For children ages 7 to 18, juice intake should be between eight and 12 ounces a day.
  • All children should be encouraged to eat whole fruits.

As evil as juice can be when misused, boxed water is still a rotten idea. First, it creates needless waste for our landfills. The packaging can be recycled in some communities, but it’s still needless waste. If someone tried to talk up the recyclability of juice boxes, I’d say they are unclear on the concept of waste prevention. The Treehugger blog says it best with its blog article title, "Aqua2Go. To the Nearest Landfill."

Second, it’s damn expensive in comparison. Save yourself hundreds of dollars over preschool, elementary school and high school by buying a single stainless steel bottle and fill it at home. We use a Klean Kanteen that converts from 12 ounce sippy cup to sports bottle to traditional water bottle.

If the kids in our preschool are any measure, most Thinga-readers are probably pretty keen on juice. You may take it for granted that you’re doing right by your kids by feeding them nutritious juice.

My daughter is one of only three kids who bring water instead of juice to her preschool. Or rather, she has one of the three sets of parents who pack water for their preschoolers. So, hey, I’m just throwing the idea out there. Think about it.

Comments

38 Responses to “Juice Boxes and Water: A Bad Idea or the Worst Idea?”

1. Summer says:

Not sure if I like the idea… My daughter always spills those darn juice boxes because she squeezes them too tight.

But more interesting… my daughter does not like juice that much. She very rarely will drink it and only if there is no water or milk. She drinks water and milk throughout the day. Guess I’m just lucky she never took to juice.

I remember when she was just a little under 2 years old. We went for a play date at a friends house who also had a 2 year old. I was in total shock – the mother let her 2 year old drink coke! And not just one can but two! Is it me or is that crazy? No wonder we have so many problems with obesity. (The mother is obese and the daughter was on her way). More than anything I just felt bad for the little girl. Coke of all things not only has all that sugar and caffeine but horrible acid that could deteriorate her little kidneys.

Anyways my daughter loves water and drinks out of regular water bottles perfectly. Whenever I stop at a gas station she always asks me to get her a ‘quirt bottle of water. :-)

April 2nd, 2008 at 5:38 am

2. lindsey says:

Ugh. Just another high priced convenience item that parents are willing to buy.

My son is 21 months and rarely drinks juice. We tried juice boxes, and they turned out to be a mess (like they do for almost every kid). I ended up buying one of those little plastic holders for juice boxes so he can’t squeeze it. He prefers his sippy cup with water though. He knows where the water pitcher in the fridge is, and when he’s empty….he gives you his cup and leads you to the kitchen.

My father in law gave him some of his root beer that he was drinking…Calvin drank some and then promptly spit it out. He’s not a fan of carbonation. Thank god.

Like Summer, we too have a friend that gives their two year old soda. The result? A 43 lb. 2 year old who outgrew every size of diapers available and now has to wear adult diapers.

April 2nd, 2008 at 7:35 am

3. Christina Holland says:

At my daughter’s day care (she’s under 2), I have to specifically mark her chart and tell the teacher “no juice.” I tell them whole milk and water only. She is the only one, out of about 10.

She gets “juice” (actually pedialyte) only when she’s sick and can’t have milk. She loves water and whole fruit.

But yeah, water boxes. Dumb. Cool at first glance maybe, but why not just pack a bottle of water (we refill the same one over and over from out faucet filter) and a, oh what’s the word? Oh yeah, a CUP.

April 2nd, 2008 at 9:50 am

4. dadshouse says:

What ever happened to water fountains? I agree too much juice is bad for kids’ teeth.

A funny post about bottled water is at Stuff White People Like (I’m not part of that site, I simply find it funny on occasion, and I’m white, so I guess it’s PC for me to poke fun at me…)

April 2nd, 2008 at 10:26 am

5. Cindi says:

Hi, As soon as I began reading your article, I thought about the boxes going into the environment. My two sons have take various drinks in their lunches. They have never eaten school food! They refused. Now, they both take water, but in plastic bottles. I have been reading about chemicals that get in the bottled water from the plastic. Some of this could drive me crazy! Thanks for your information. Cindi

April 2nd, 2008 at 10:42 am

6. Jessica G. says:

I hate the idea. I mean, the convenience is nice but I agree you could fill a Kleen Kanteen with water just as easily. It is scary how much landfill fodder floats around in the packaging world.

I have never thought about sending my kid to school with water though!

I watched juice consumption like a hawk with my firstborn. Water and milk only. And she was (and is) the most constipated child EVER. The doctors had me put her on pear and prune juices just to get her system working again. Turns out her sister is the same way. A little juice each day and regularity is not an issue. I would never put it in sippy cups though.

My 3.5 yo still uses a sippy cup at night in her room – water only. She has a little juice once a day. I would NEVER consider giving a wee one soda! That posting about the mom giving her child cokes just boggles my mind, but I am sure it happens more often than not. It gives me the same mother bear response I get when I see pregnant women smoking.

April 2nd, 2008 at 11:35 am

7. danielle says:

This looks cute, but Why would I pay for it, when I can just give my son a sippy cup. I can refill it and it’s spill proof.

April 2nd, 2008 at 12:24 pm

8. Jennifer says:

I could see this being handy on some special occasions. I fin water bottles too heavy to pack sometimes, so I could see maybe putting it in a lunch on a feild trip day or something; but not for an everyday use.
    I, too, see parents giving their children coke as soon as they can drink out of a cup. I don’t like it; it’s a huge pet peeve of mine. I don’t even by soda to have in my house. For us, soda is only a special treat on the very rare occasion we go out to eat or (maybe) if we go to a movie. This is a growing problem; so bad that a study I read shows that soda consumption in children has surpased milk consumption.

April 2nd, 2008 at 12:55 pm

9. LIsa says:

I wholeheartedly appreciated and agree with this post and all the replies following. My son (3yo), regularly drinks water and milk and only at special events (like a birthday party) will get a tiny sippy box of juicy juice. Regarding this product, the juice box may be convenient (so is a sippy cup) but it’s also a huge mess. Summer time and wet. Kids love that combo. Wasted drink/environment/energy. Selling water in a juice box is just ridiculous. Did these companies even have a focus group? And if they did, who the heck were they?

April 2nd, 2008 at 12:58 pm

So what I hear you guys telling me is that some company could really cash in by selling soda pop in juice boxes.

April 2nd, 2008 at 1:04 pm

11. Erica says:

I can only guess that the reason for the water-in-a-box is to make the kids think it’s just as cool and novel as drinking a juice box, but I’m pretty sure my kid’s not dumb enough to fall for that after the first sip. Ours gets juice MAYBE once a day, and extremely watered down when she does get it. She drinks water or milk all the time, and she’s fine with it. Other parents sometimes seem shocked that she’ll drink water all day long. Call me a meanie, but I’m really annoyed with parents who let their children dictate what they eat and drink. She’ll drink water because that’s what I tell her she can drink. She eats vegetables and whatever I serve for her meals and (shocker!) even likes them because she doesn’t have much choice. I know that some kids are more difficult than others, but I also know that they’ll eat a healthy meal if that’s what’s on the table and they’re hungry enough. Giving your kids juice all day and french fries and nuggets because “that’s all he’ll eat” is a cop-out to me. The kid might skip a meal, but the next meal or the one after that he’ll be starving and he’ll eat whatever healthy thing you put out. Sorry for ranting…this stuff just bugs me.

April 2nd, 2008 at 1:10 pm

12. Katy says:

Bad idea – just more waste and expense! Plus it tells kids that it’s fine to use something once then toss it into the trash. What’s wrong with carrying one of those super cool new water bottles from SIGG?

April 2nd, 2008 at 1:13 pm

13. Mama Peach says:

My daughter who is 2 and a half does not drink juice. We have never offered it and she doesn’t get it at her pre-school. That said, for some reason as soon as she sees one of those tetra packs of juice she wants one. I suspect it’s the pretty child-sized box with the nifty straw. But I wouldn’t buy these.

The only plus I could see is that it may make parents more inclined to toss one of these in their child’s lunches as opposed to a juice box.

And while I personally love the stainless water bottles, I see far too many parents bringing in refilled one-time use water bottles, you know the kind you can get at any grocery or corner store (Evian, Dassani, etc). These plastics are not meant to be used as a refillable bottle, yet they often are, posing a danger as the plastics break down very quickly in these bottles.

It’s a shame that water needs to be pre-packaged in a truly disposable container to be ‘convenient’ enough to put in a child’s lunch.

April 2nd, 2008 at 3:15 pm

At our work we’re just trying to phase out the water bottles, using water from the tap instead.

But in defense of parents and what they put in their childrens’ lunch boxes: They may want to put as little as possible in the lunch box that they might lose. I know I didn’t pack Tupperware in my husband’s lunches (before he became the SAHD with our son) because I didn’t want to get upset when he left it behind at work. Instead I packed Ziploc or something that was reusable, but no great loss if it was left behind either.

I imagine with kids one would do the same thing.

April 2nd, 2008 at 3:38 pm

PS Mr. AJ — How does the diameter of the Kleen Kanteen compare to a typical bottle? I’ve been carting around a old Coke bottle for carrying formula for my baby’s bottle and given the chiding from another comment here think that replacing it with something like that may be wise. (I try to fill the bottle from taps and drinking fountains as much as possible, but have found it is not always possible to wait to make a bottle until a water source can be found. So I carry water with me)

April 2nd, 2008 at 3:48 pm

On the Klean Kanteen, the diameter from outer edge to outer edge is 2 inches. The diameter from inner edge to inner edge (e.g., the diameter of the hole) is 1 3/4″.

April 2nd, 2008 at 4:18 pm

17. Lori says:

As long as the recommendations are followed, I don’t have a huge issue with juice. I never gave it to my daughter until well after her 1st bday, and I only buy 100% juice products without any high fructose corn syrup. I wouldn’t send it to school, because I like juice cold! My daughter and I can both tolerate water that isn’t ice cold, but not juice. We both call it “icky juice” if it gets even the slightest bit warm. Like most things for kids these days, juice is now bad because it is overused, and children are overindulged. “Treats” have become “snacks”. As far as giving kids any kind of soda…that’s just plain idiocy. There is enough news in the media to warn you that any kind of soda will ruin your child’s metabolism. High fructose corn syrup should never enter a child’s diet. I see these fat kids, and I think…WHAT in God’s name could make a toddler fat?! My child runs 1000 miles per hour! Water in a box?! Only in America.

April 2nd, 2008 at 5:16 pm

18. Meadow says:

We are big fans of the milk in a box at our house. I don’t know if it is a regional thing but we get shelf-stable milk from Gossner Dairy and keep it in the car, diaper bag, etc. I don’t think warm milk is all the delicious but my daughter drinks it right up. We do have the occassional squeeze-the-box issue, but it is makes me feel like I am giving her something healthier than juice or less indulgently-wasteful than water (!) in a box. Also, we all have Sigg bottles. (LOVE them)

April 2nd, 2008 at 6:36 pm

19. STL Mom says:

Well, maybe the water box could help you wean your child off juice boxes if you’d already gone down that path?
    I let my kids have juice about once a day, and an occasional Sprite at a birthday party (never Coke, and my kids are 5 & 8!). I do buy juice boxes once in a while because my kids love them and they are convenient, but our usual travel drink is water in a Sigg aluminum bottle with sport top. We keep water in a Brita filter dispenser in the fridge so it is cold, and in summer I hunt down the bottles and wash them every night so we are ready to dash out the next day. The kids and I each have our own color or pattern. In two years we haven’t lost one yet (knock on wood) so my investment has more than paid off.
    One thing I love about my son’s Montessori preschool is that parents are discouraged from sending juice, encouraged to use reusable containers, and Lunchables are not allowed. Oh, and the food scraps are composted!

April 2nd, 2008 at 7:02 pm

20. Colette says:

Another negative about these boxes of H2O (in addition to most other bottled water on the market) is that if this is a child’s primary source of water, they’re missing out on the benefits of the fluoride they receive by drinking tap water. Dentists site this as one of the reasons they think they’ve seen a rise in tooth decay.

That said, my first born was not a water drinker when he was a toddler. I had to infuse his water with juice to get him to drink it. I still dilute his juice (one time a day) with 50-70% water. I am so grateful that my 15 month old twins LOVE straight water! They’ve only had juice mixed into their oatmeal when they needed a little digestive help when they were infants.

Although, most of the time I bring along sippy cups, (largely because I’m the cheapest person on the face of the earth) I am a mom who does occasionally like the convenience and size of a juice box when we’re on the go to the zoo/park, etc. (MOTTS makes a juice box that’s half water, half 100% juice.) We primarily use these juice/water boxes when we host playgroups and use the balance when we want the convenience.

Reading all your posts though, reminds me to consider the environmental impact, even if I do recycle the boxes most of the time. I love the insight and wisdom I gain from Thinga-Dad and Thinga-readers, by frequenting this blog!

April 2nd, 2008 at 7:58 pm

21. gertie says:

My 17 month old daughter can take my Sigg water bottle out of my bag, unscrew the top, take a drink, put the top back on, and put the water bottle back in my bag. Sometimes she even does it without spilling all over herself (an in all seriousness, her skills improve daily).

At meals she drinks juice out of a little plastic cup (no sippy top) and does fine.

We do have a plastic straw cup that we keep accessible to her for whenever she wants water during the day, and she drinks one or two of those a day. We’re planning on getting her her own Kleen Kanteen or Sigg.

Once she starts school she’ll have drinking fountains every 50 feet.

What’s with the juice box obsession among parents? And if you really want your kid to have disposable water, why not a regular water bottle? Maybe for preschool?

I don’t know. I’m sure it will fit into somebody’s lifestyle, but not ours.

April 2nd, 2008 at 9:11 pm

22. gertie says:

My husband just had a different take on this. He saw the article and said “So your kid won’t be left out?”

I hadn’t thought about it from the peer pressure point of view. I’m a teacher and I could see how a sensitive first grader would not want to be the only kid without some sort of drink box (six year olds cry about this sort of thing). And now that I think about it, kids are not allowed (at my school) to get up during lunch, so if your kid wants to drink and eat at the same time, they need to bring their own liquid.

I guess if your kid is entrenched in the juice box world this might be a small step in a more healthy direction.

Still seems silly.

April 2nd, 2008 at 9:22 pm

23. Sandra says:

My son has always drunk milk or water, and I only recently added OJ (watered down) to his reportoire for daycare, since his doctor said that he shouldn’t be drinking more than 24 oz. of milk a day – he prefer water, and I had gotten these sport bottle tops that you can screw onto regular water bottles called Lil Toppers that are great! Even if I don’t have his sippy cup, we can screw the Lil Topper onto a regular water bottle, and he can drink without spilling.

April 3rd, 2008 at 3:54 am

24. Nancy says:

Like many others above, my 4.5 yo only drinks juice on special occasions like parties, and then he is limited to one juice box. He actually takes milk in a straw cup to daycare, we put a freezer pack in his insulated lunch bag and it is still cold by lunch time. We’re not sure what to do when he’s in K next year, but I guess sending water instead will work.

I could count on one hand the number of times my 16 mo has had juice. He too drinks only water and milk.

My older son had Coke for the first (and only) time courtesy of my father, when I was in the hospital after having his brother – he was 3.5. I flipped out when I found out about it. He’s had cream soda or Sprite a handful of times, but only a sip or two from my drink. We are not big soda drinkers in our house, so when he wants what we’re drinking, it’s almost always water.

Oh yeah and I think water in a box is a bad idea.

April 3rd, 2008 at 5:51 am

25. Christy says:

We fly on commercial airplanes with our 2.5 year-old. Our trips have increased in frequency since we have moved cross country from our family. We have found that while security won’t allow us to take a water bottle (full reuseable or full disposable) through the screening area, they will allow us pretty much anything that looks like it’s for our daughter.

We empty her sippy cup (or water bottle or whatever she wants that day) and take it in dry. Then we can also take one “juice box” of either milk or water to use in the terminal. I have noticed that airport water is NASTY. I have never found a bottle of water that does not taste horribly of plastic. I won’t drink it, so I don’t expect my daughter to. Most commercial flights have water on board, so we can use that to refill the cup in flight. I can see where the juice-box-water would be convenient for that purpose. (I usually take Horizon or Earth’s Best Milk that does not require refrigeration, however.)

On a side note, she mainly gets milk and water with minimal juice. I caught my MIL giving her FULL cups of Sprite the last time we were in town. I took the cup and poured it out as soon as I found out what she was drinking. She was a tad bit sick and my MIL said that she was just “pushing fluids” (she’s an RN). I told her that she just needed water.

April 3rd, 2008 at 11:00 am

26. Kerstin says:

There are parents out there who do not and will not care about environmental issues if it is inconvenient for them, an for those parents I think this product would be a step in the right direction. If they are going to pack disposable drinks in their kids lunches anyway then I say it was as well be this, rather than sodas of sugary water. There are kids out there whose parents have let them dictate what’s “cool” to bring to school (I’m a teacher, so I’m very aware of this phenomenon), and sometimes a bottle of water just won’t hack it in the social scene. Yes, it’s sad that parents don’t just put their collective foot down on these and other issues, but it’s a reality, and sometimes we have to see the positive in the “lesser of two evils”….

April 4th, 2008 at 8:47 am

27. Mama Peach says:

For the labelling of water bottles in a school or daycare environment, I have to recommend Mabel’s Labels:

a fabulous Canadian company that makes labels for just about everything. The labels are dishwasher safe. I recommend the Camp/School Combo Pack. Comes with shoe dots, bag tags, iron-on labels, and the bottle/cutlery labels. You can customize them with your child’s name and a little icon for recognition purposes. GREAT food allergy warning labels too if your child has allergies of any kind!

April 4th, 2008 at 2:40 pm

28. Joe says:

Water is more expensive than oil when purchased in this manner. It is a complete absurdity, but a wise man once said “There’s a sucker born every minute”.

April 5th, 2008 at 2:56 pm

29. Jennifer says:

I just got back from a conference and they had emergency kits with boxes of water in them. They really fit much better in the kit than a bottle of water. This is what they would be good for. They have a long shelf life, are more compact, and I could see them coming in handy for this purpose.

April 5th, 2008 at 7:59 pm

30. agl says:

It is crazy all the new baby products that are continually being released – even as people start talking more about keeping it simple. I suppose that water boxes could have their use on trips (in airports, as was mentioned earlier), but it would be difficult to justify the purchase. Just imagine the creators of this… it’s hard not to think that they are laughing on their way to the bank.

April 7th, 2008 at 12:01 pm

31. Jen says:

the only reason I would consider buying those, is that since I don’t give my daughters juice boxes… if they are somewhere that other kids are having juice boxes… they want one bad! So that would be a sneaky way to give them a “juice” box, you know?
    I pack the Mott’s for tot’s (which is half 100% juice/half water) in case of emergencies like those. :-P But rarely do I break them out.
    My girls do love water, but I don’t know what will happen when they are having lunch at school… probably try trading it. haha!!!

April 7th, 2008 at 5:23 pm

32. Aunt T says:

I’m not sure if this was mentioned, but if you do use drink boxs and worry about spills, try a dwink box holder http://www.dwinkbox.com.

I like the idea of using the water box when hiking because the kids always seem to misplace their water bottles. These are easy to gather and dispose of when we return home. For everyday use, I agree that regular filtered tap water in a reusable bottle is better.

April 15th, 2008 at 10:46 am

33. jessica says:

love the idea but if i could only make my tot drink water that would be great he wont drink it all its only juice or milk but i always mix his juice with water so it wont be too sweet

May 2nd, 2008 at 5:07 pm

34. alexa says:

i dont think water juice boxes are a good idea.. havent you people ever heard of a cup, or water bottle! these juice boxes are for lazy people who dont care enough about there kids to pack a water bottle and reuse it by filling it up at a water fountin or sink. If your gonna use a cup, try not to use styrofoam, it doesnt decompose. you should be ashamed that poeple spent there time thinking of something for you lazy people that buy this!

October 20th, 2008 at 6:13 am

35. Judy says:

I think some of you are missing the point here. What about those times where you need a portable beverage and want to serve water instead of sugary, sticky juices. For example, we just had my son’s birthday party and had 15 kids at our house. I served the Wateroos penguin water boxes. The kids loved them and so did the parents. Isn’t throwing a water box into the soccer cooler or birthday party cooler better than offering Capri Sun?

We don’t drink Wateroos at home – we can use water in a cup for that. But it is a great option for those times when you want a water drink for on-the-go and a water bottle from home just isn’t practical.

November 6th, 2008 at 3:56 pm

36. Andy says:

Drinking water in a box is NOT a bad idea. For limited purposes where convenience and sanitation are overriding factors, its a great idea. The list of evils of juice are entirely avoided by putting water in a box instead of juice. There are many situations where sippy cups are not a viable alternative–there may not be an adult to fill the cup, there may not be a convenient source of good water, or any number of reasons. The environmental concern with the packaging is secondary in these situations, and more kids should be drinking pure water not sugary juices.

April 10th, 2010 at 6:30 pm

37. anjii says:

I can see the points of Judy and Andy. While I normally use refillable sippies/sportsbottles for the diaper bag, there are some times, like beach, park parties, or simply LONG days out, where a cooler of these would be FAR more compact than a cooler of sippies with water from home. It can also be hard to find refill sources on the go. Last weekend I took my boys to our local AHL hockey game, in our town’s 1 year old Sports/Entertainment arena. I was dying of thirst and didn’t want to drink my kids drinks all up, but the place didn’t have a SINGLE water fountain! I had to buy a bottle of Dasani for a ridiculous price instead. And then, there’s also the issue with most tap water being flouridated and chlorinated, so I’m hesitant to refill my kids drinks with that, unless absolutely necessary. At home we have a whole-home water filter that leaves us simply with pure water, so I’d rather bring water from home if possible.

April 10th, 2010 at 9:14 pm

38. Sam says:

While I myself use reusable water bottle from time to time, I dont think that this is that bad of an idea. There are some times that there is no place to refill a sippy cup or water bottle. Juice boxes are less expensive to make, it doesn’t need need to be kept refrigerated when being transported so it saves money there. More can be compacted in a cooler and other bags. Sure that a kid can make a mess by squeezing it to hard but quite frankly kids can make a mess out of anything. It is a better alternative to drinking juice and a child wont feel weird being the only kid with a water bottle while everyone else in the class has cool looking juice boxes. Not only is the boxed water healthier than the juice but it doesn’t have the down side of making the child feel left out.

September 30th, 2010 at 9:47 am