HOW TO: Convert a Baby Diaper to Cat or Dog Diaper

Dispense with the notion that changing dirty baby diapers is yucky or burdensome. Put to rest any lingering thoughts of caring diaper-changing men as something of a motherly enigma. We parents have it easy. Check out these three amazing videos from Ngo Thye Aun, a Malaysian blogger.

First, I saw him explaining in detail how to retrofit disposable baby diapers for use on cats and dogs. Interesting and strange, I thought.

Second, I saw him demonstrating how to put a diaper on a puppy and I laughed myself silly. Sure, I know pet diapers exist, but wow, it’s so much more work than baby diapers. The video’s captioning explains that he lives in an apartment and the dog has serious urinary problems — very sobering.

Third, I saw him changing a diaper on his paraplegic kitten, Alera. For the first time I saw diaper changing as an act of love. Imagine doing this day in and day out for Alera’s entire life.

Imagine the similar (but infinitely more complex and taxing) dedication required of parents of children who have severe disabilities. I don’t mean to demean or diminish, but that’s the parallel that pops into my mind. Wow. Strength I will never understand.

(A second similar cat diaper-changing video reminded me very much of a routine changing table experience.)

According to a scanned December 2007 article from Britain’s Your Cat magazine, Ngo Thye Aun — or “Thomas” — is an artist who spends his free time rescuing stray cats and dogs and helping a local animal shelter. He films the animals’ road to recovery to help raise awareness in his country, caring for (at least) three dogs and three kittens in his apartment.

His most recent news is that Alera is acclimating to her new cat wheelchair, there are three orphaned kittens (video) and his long-time dog Bobo’s health is failing. In some posts, Thomas alludes to a dire fate that stray animals face if rounded up by Malaysian authorities.

Want to help? He has a PayPal donation account open to help cover vet bills and basic animal care.

Thomas has three websites:

• Living Days on the Planet — his main blog, a chronicle of his pets (think baby blog with lots of doctor visits).
  • Living Days Live Multicam — Apparently streaming video from his apartment, though it was offline at the time of this writing.
  • Kittie Doggie — Miscellaneous videos of his and other peoples’ cats and dogs (no longer updated).

Comments

23 Responses to “HOW TO: Convert a Baby Diaper to Cat or Dog Diaper”

1. Rebecca says:

My sister just got a rabbit. Her children insist the rabbit hop around the house. She was thinking about attempting house training…I know a bit odd. I will refer her to these videos, hopefully she will reconsider and move to diapering. Much more sensible :)

April 22nd, 2008 at 12:07 pm

2. Lydia says:

That man is a saint.

April 22nd, 2008 at 3:20 pm

3. Karen says:

Hi – Actually, Rabbits can fairly easily be litterbox-trained just like cats. Check out the House Rabbit Society website at http://www.rabbit.org for great information on rabbit-proofing your house and litter box training. My beloved house rabbit took to using litter boxes immediately. Thank goodness, there is hardly anything more caustic and wood-stripping than rabbit urine – yikes.

April 22nd, 2008 at 3:49 pm

4. Cindi says:

Happy Earth Day! If I understood the video correctly, his animals are rescues and are disabled in some way. That is why they need the diapers?! I give that man a lot of credit. Thanks,Cindi

April 22nd, 2008 at 5:45 pm

5. MamaPeach says:

You know, my hubby and I just came to the decision to put down our 15-year old Dalmatian. She has had an incontinence issue for a while now (mostly bowel movements but now urine as well) and we dealt with it for over a year. MANY a time the thought went through my head ‘I wonder if I could use one of Miss Peach’s diapers’ – we had even tried the ones they sell at pet stores but they only made worse messes.

I couldn’t actually see the videos unfortunately, but kudos to this man. I know how it is to live with animals with no control. Unfortunately for us, accelerated blindness, doggie alzheimers, diminished hearing, and inability to get around the house anymore, all of which hit us within the last 6 months, have made us realize that the most heartbreaking decision we have had to make is the most kind and loving one we could make for our fur baby.

April 24th, 2008 at 3:21 pm

6. Kerri says:

If you’re like me and don’t have a lot of time on your hands, you can save yourself a lot of trouble if you just buy diapers for dogs at PetSmart. They’re just like Pampers (disposable) but for your Pup. Simple Solution makes some good ones.

April 28th, 2008 at 12:31 pm

7. Marie says:

The dog diapers at Petsmart are expensive. This website shows you how to use Little swimmers as dog diapers. Which are much cheaper!

September 8th, 2008 at 6:51 pm

8. Tonia says:

God bless this man. I hope we can all improve an animails life like he has. What a great person.

November 12th, 2008 at 8:07 am

9. Lynn says:

Chronic kidney stones confined our dear elderly cat to a single room away from the family, due to the incontinence it caused. . .And we were ALL miserable!

At $10 for 44 ct. Pampers per pkg. this man’s ingenious solution costs only $0.25 per diaper.

We can now allow our cat a few hours of freedom to wander the house wherever she pleases everyday, thanks to this great instructional video!

We are so very grateful! She has her old purrrrrrrr back now that she can explore the house again!

Hooray! :-) Thank you! Gracias! Mahalo!

November 30th, 2008 at 11:25 pm

10. Anita Louise says:

I have an older cat that cannot be inside because of peeing on everything and this seems just the thing I need to try. Thank you!

January 20th, 2009 at 6:19 pm

11. shari says:

You don’t have to alter the disposable baby diaper! Just turn it sideways! Put the diaper under the male dog, pull the diaper over the back and paste the tabs. Don’t wrap around the tail, unless you have a really big diaper instead. It will fall down. All this does is protect the carpet, but you still have the rare dump to pick up, but all the urine mess is over. My dogs sleep in their diapers, and they love them. There are female dog diapers on the market, and you can buy male wrap arounds on the internet, but if you want to just avoid the whole thing, get a box of regular baby diapers.

February 4th, 2009 at 12:52 pm

12. Tober says:

Wow, amazing. This is very helpful for me, definitely. My kitty has a problem peeing on stuff, and my parents are threatening to get rid of her if I don’t do something about it…I think I will try this. :D

February 16th, 2009 at 9:54 am

13. Alexis says:

People like him give me hope for humanity and good in this world.

February 17th, 2009 at 7:23 pm

14. Scarlet says:

The world should have more like this fellow. He is so gentle with the kitten and kisses him, too. Thank you for this instructional video, it is excellent and a great help for my elderly cat who is now senile and forgets he is supposed to use the litterbox.

March 1st, 2009 at 11:46 am

15. Anonymous says:

I love this guy. What a man that can be so gentle and caring with a defenceless animal.

I have a very old cat who has lost control of his spicther (spelling) muscle. This will be very helpful in easeing him into his golden years.

June 8th, 2009 at 3:00 pm

16. XyzzyMagicat says:

Thanks for posting this! One of the cats I took in as part of a litter of wild kittens never quite caught on that one *always* urinates in the litterbox, so this could save my sanity.

You might be very surprised at how “parents” of disabled pets or children feel about their task. :) We suffer along with our little loved ones deep inside, but also experience profound joy at things that most parents never notice & aren’t disturbed (or might even be happy) at things that would irritate them. Past that, it’s all a matter of the obstacles being different and putting one foot in front of the other like anyone else.

(Writing that both as the “parent” of cats with various long-term terminal disorders, and as the guide for many parents whose children were born with the same disabilities I was.)

June 8th, 2009 at 8:18 pm

17. Sandy says:

Thanks for the great idea! I have a beloved male Main Coon cat who just turned 20. He is also becoming incontinent. It is annoying, smelly and messy…but we deal with it because we love him sooo much. This just may turn out to be the perfect solution for our predicament!

Thanks again, Ngo Thye Aun! Great “how to” videos…

June 14th, 2009 at 10:44 am

18. Glorianna says:

I have a 16 year old kitty named Diva. She has diabetes and just became incontinent. In the last 2 days we have tried everything that we can think of to help her, hoping this will get better. I dont want to put her in a cage for the last days of her life. I thank you for posting this video. You have demonstrated how we can have a solution. Tomorrow I will get the diapers and give this method a try. Bless you for loving and caring for these animals and helping others to do the same.

August 25th, 2009 at 12:52 am

19. Danielle says:

like Anita Louise, I have an older cat that is starting to just pee wherever it’s convenient for him. I live in an apartment and so it’s not possible to make him stay outside, but he’s otherwise happy (pain free and still eating) and healthy. This is a great solution…thanks!

September 12th, 2009 at 11:35 am

20. Annette says:

I have a 15 year old diabetic kitty named Jackson. He is a manx, so no tail to deal with. I have had him in diapers for a little over a year now. He has free run of the house because I keep the diaper on him 24 hours a day. I keep a harness/halter on him so that I can loop an elastic strap through it and attach to the diaper sort of like suspenders. We change the diaper 2 or 3 times per day. As long as his insulin and blood sugar are under control he only urinates about 2 times per day in the diaper. Since I keep him in it all of the time we do give him a bath weekly so that he doesn’t get urine burns. This routine has made our life, and his, so much better. We use Huggies Size 2 diapers because they fit a little better than the newborn size.

October 17th, 2009 at 8:22 pm

21. Marsha says:

I agree with the one reader who said this man is a saint — it’s taken our 12 yr old daughter a couple weeks to come to grips with the fact that we’re going to have to euthanize our 8 mth old cat who has neurological problems and now can’t walk and is incontinent. She made the diapers and has nursed her along to the point where she now understands responsible pet ownership and can deal with the next step. THANKS for sharing this wonderful idea and video.

January 21st, 2011 at 9:09 am

22. J B says:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 6th, 2011 at 5:25 pm

23. Maria says:

Thanks heavens for this caring man. My 16 yr cat has kidney failure and thyroid problems. She started to pee in her sleep a few months ago. My sofas get soaked. Now I will not have to keep her in the kitchen.

FOUR PAWS make an INDUSTRIAL SUPER STRENGTH STAIN & ODOR REMOVER. They say it ‘works like magic. It is guaranteed to remove pet urine, stain and odors or your money back. It cost me abour £6 for 32 fl ounces in UK but its an American brand and the company is in New York. I can highly recommend it. No more odour in my home and now my ‘little girl’ can still roam the hour. Will be buying nappies tomorrow.

Thank you again Thomas for making my old cat happier at the end of her life. Maria x

April 6th, 2011 at 9:51 am