Kid Nicknames: Who is to Blame?

Our family’s ordeal over choosing our second baby’s name sparked a serious question yesterday.

I have three brothers. None of the four of us grew up being called by our real first name. Each used a commonly shorter version (William/Bill, Robert/Bob — you get the idea). In fact, even my parents go by shortened versions of their name.

So, in addition to worrying about how classmates might tease a kid because of words his name rhymes with, I got to wondering about nicknames. I could rack my brain for hours devising a name we love, only to have it discarded when he enters school.

Or, maybe parents are to blame. My mother says she called us by nicknames from the start. I wonder if that is normal. Do some parents intentionally give a formal legal name and reserve a more popular name for everyday use?

How or why would Howard become Howie, Walter become Walt and Wilson become Will? Are you already doing it with your kid(s)?

Maybe it begins innocently with cutesy baby names such as Honey, Toodlebug, Sweat Pea and Monkey… but then the name grows too sugary by kindergarten or first grade, so you take his or her real name and twist and contort it into a diet confection that you can get away with using. No?

Did you go by a nickname as a child? How did it come about? Hey, call your parents and ask. Tell them some guy in California wants to know.

Comments

46 Responses to “Kid Nicknames: Who is to Blame?”

1. Carrie says:

Both my husband and I have names that are not commonly shortened (Kasey and Carrie), and specifically gave our boys names that can’t be logically shortened (Collin and Cade). Ironically, we did end up with all names starting with the same sound…that part wasn’t planned! It’s amazing how much thought, down to these details, we put into naming a child!!

March 7th, 2008 at 4:50 am

2. Barbara says:

I can’t stand any of the shortened versions of my name, and don’t use them. I think it’s an influence of parents. I was never anything but Barbara when I was little, unless I was in trouble then I was first and middle name.
    The girls name we have picked out we plan on using in it’s entirety, and the boys name shortened. I like the shorter version, but want to give him the full traditional name so he has choices as he grows up.

March 7th, 2008 at 6:46 am

3. Paul says:

We also deliberately chose names that could not be shortened (Robin, Noah). It’s hard to put into words, but I don’t like the clubby feel of “I let my friends call me X but everybody else calls me Y”.

March 7th, 2008 at 6:47 am

4. Julia says:

My kids have pretty random nicknames. Two of the three have names that can’t be shortened (the one who does uses the shortened version, too). But names like Pants, Kiwi and Ewok are distinctly theirs and very original!!

I was usually Jules or Jergie as a child-given by friends vs. family.

March 7th, 2008 at 6:54 am

5. Jennifer says:

I am a Jennifer in an era when that name was number 1 for years and years. So I became Jenn with two n’s. I’m not sure my parent’s were totally thrilled that it has become permanently shortened. I chose a name for my daughter that if shortened I would like the nick names of. Her name is Eden and if shortened it would be E or Edie. Although we’ve started calling her Goo for some reason. It might stick. When my sister was a baby we started calling her a name that morphed into Chank. Her name is Jacquelyn, but Chank stuck.

March 7th, 2008 at 6:56 am

6. Chimpo says:

Unlike the previous comments, I took the approach of only picking names that are longer and can be shortened. While I do all legal documentation and sign my name with Joseph, I cannot stand to have anyone call me that. I like the idea of giving the kid an option.

One day at school, I just started filling all my work out as Joe, and it stuck. Some people might say that is what a middle name is for, but in my opinion, the more options the better.

March 7th, 2008 at 6:59 am

7. Bob says:

I’m a Bob/Robert but named after my grandfather, and he was the same..
    My brother and dad are both Bill/William

I think it you stick to short names, you won’t have contortions of the name, although it still might get replaced altogether..
    Case in point, I usually call my son (Rush) booger, or bud, or big man and my wife calls him monkey, monster, mister, etc..

weird, I just realized that our pet names for him all start with the same letter… hmmm

March 7th, 2008 at 7:14 am

8. Erica says:

My name is Erica. It doesn’t rhyme with anything except America (and that’s a lame nickname) and can’t be shortened to anything cool. When I was a kid I was actually bummed about that because the cool kids had cool nicknames…and I was just Erica. My parents called my Ricky Rae (Rae is my middle name), which I liked, but that was just in the family. I guess what I’m saying is nicknames can be fun for kids, so don’t discount names just because there’s a nickname that goes with them; the kid might like it as long as it’s not mean.

March 7th, 2008 at 7:20 am

9. anastasiav says:

I think we took an extreme version of this. My son’s name is Joseph Evan Randolph [surname]. Joseph is his father’s name, but is also the first name of both his grandfathers and one great grandfather as well. We never use it. In daily life we call him “Evan” and everyone else does too. We named him this way knowing that he would be called Evan, but it was important to us that he have the same first name as the generations that came before him.

I think its flexible. When he’s older he can be Joseph E R [surname] if he wants, or J Evan [surname], or even J E Randoph [surname] or J E R [surname].

My husband’s given name is Joseph Shannon [surname], but he’s always been called Josh (JOseph SHannon).

March 7th, 2008 at 7:21 am

10. Jennifer says:

I love that my name has several choices of a nickname. I actually only consider names that can have a nickname because it will give my child the ability to choose their name as they get older. I went from Jennifer to Jen to Jenny back to Jen to Jennie then Jenni and back and forth until I was about 17. It was fun playing with my identity. Even now I find people in different places use a different name for me. My in-laws and brother all call my Jen, at work I am mostly Jenni, but my supervisors always seem to call me Jennifer. I don’t mind; I think it’s interesting how they decide what to call me.
    My parents gave me a nickname as a child that they still call me today: Sunshine. I went through the teenage phase of “oh that’s for babies”, but now I actually get hurt if they don’t use it. It’s a form of affection.
    I think nicknames come out of affection, and as long as the person doesn’t mind, it’s okay. My 10 year old goddaughter is still my angelbear…but she won’t let anyone else call her that!

March 7th, 2008 at 7:38 am

11. Sandy says:

We specifically chose names that can be shortened for our twins. We call Elizabeth Beth, and Michael is Mike. We use both the full name and the short version for both of them. It’s nice to have options.

March 7th, 2008 at 8:16 am

12. JMo says:

I love nicknames – as in shortened versions of your name for everyday use, not as in Poo Bear, etc. I think you need a name that has legs – a common version for casual conversation, nicknames, etc, and a formal version for work, signing documents, meeting the in-laws for the first time. In my opinion, the key is a name that can be shortened, but it’s clear that it’s not your official name. For example, my aunt Cathy says it’s a pain when she signs her name – Catherine is too formal and only used for official documents, but Cathy seems too casual and it isn’t her real name. That’s why you need a name like Jennifer or Jessica – you would never sign your name Jen or Jess. (I don’t know why her nickname isn’t Cath – it would solve this problem. BTW, she specifically gave her children names that she felt couldn’t be turned into nicknames: Brett & Lauren.)

Picking a name based on the nickname was our #1 consideration when we named our son. We wanted a name that would last through the various identities of his life. For example, “Jer” is the kid you cheer for at bat, the guy standing on his head doing the beer bong in college, the guy with a honey-do list after he buys his first house; while “Jeremy” is the CEO, the IT guy, the teacher, the police officer.

On your list, I think Wilson (Wil), Sefton (Seft) and Hollis (Hol) are all names with legs. You get into trouble when Howard becomes Howie – when do you make the switch to Howard? It’s hard b/c Howard is such a formal name. Do you want to yell “Go Howard” at the swim meet? Because he’ll crawl into a hole if he’s 12 and you yell out “Go Howie”.

What’s my kid’s name? Not saying – it’s too good of name and I know everyone will want to steal it. :-P

March 7th, 2008 at 8:57 am

13. Allison (CodeCrafter) says:

My name is typically shortened to Allie but that was far to girly for me as a child and any time some one called me that I would pitch a fit. Eventually when is was around 8 someone at school started calling me “Big Al”, which in this case was meant ironically since I was the smallest kid around. It eventually just turned into Al. I liked it and it stuck. Everyone I knew called me that well into college. My Mother still to this day calls me Al from time to time.

My husband has a name that can’t be shortened but his family calls a nickname derived from his middle name. It came about because his Mother, who wanted his middle name to be his first name, always called him by his middle name and a younger cousin had trouble pronouncing it. The short version the cousin said instead was what eventually stuck with his family.

We picked a name for our Son that can’t be shortened but didn’t really put much thought into it, we just liked the name. All of the nicknames we call him now are longer then his actual name and I doubt any of them will stick since the are more terms of affections. Our favorite two right now are either adding an -ums or a -kins to the end of his name.

One more story, my Grandfather’s name is Howard but he has always gone by Pete. I never got why Pete is a nickname for Howard but I have heard of other cases of this.

March 7th, 2008 at 9:12 am

14. K G S says:

Choosing a name solely because of its nickname can be a double-edged sword.

A friend of mine told me her parents wanted to name her Brandy (I know, it was the ’70s) but her grandmother insisted she have a “formal” name for which Brandy could be a nickname. They picked Brandeis, never intending to use it. At a young age she began insisting on going by Brandeis (which she does to this day). Her parents didn’t get to call her by the name they wanted for long. On the other hand, she ended up with a name she herself vastly preferred.

March 7th, 2008 at 9:14 am

15. Angela says:

Very interesting on the opinions folks have on this!

We chose a name that could be formal but had nickname possibilities. For some reason it was important to me that he have a nickname that ended in an “ie” sound for when he was small. Nicholas worked perfectly. He’s usually a Nicky now, and later he can choose to be a Nick or a Nicholas.

We knew that Nick had some rhyme potential, but most names do and we’ll just have to help him deal with that if it comes.

March 7th, 2008 at 9:41 am

16. May says:

I have an unusual phonetically ambigous name, Marah. I have to spell it and then tell people how to pronounce it (Marah like Sarah). And people still get it wrong. It’s a pain. I got a nickname (May) thanks to an older sister with a speech impediment.

Our theory for naming the kids was that the name has to be cute for a three year old and appropriate for a president. Hence, the nickname route. Kathleen is Katie now and can go to Kate at some point or back to Kathleen. John is Jack for now. Or boogers but hopefully that name goes when cold season goes.

March 7th, 2008 at 9:58 am

17. Elizabeth says:

As a kid I loved that my name had so many possible nicknames (thanks to Queens Elizabeth I&II and all the people who named their kids after them). Eliza, Liz, Beth, Liza, Zibby, Liza, Tina… and I can go on. It gave me a chance to feel out who I was, and practically name myself.

March 7th, 2008 at 10:07 am

18. Marge Wheeler says:

I have my grandmother’s name, Marjorie, and when I was growing up to avoid confusion when together with family I was MargIe and my grandma was Marge. I didn’t really like the formality of my full name so my friends all called me Marge. I hae grown to love my formal name (I couldn’t part with any of my names so get this Marjorie Louise Caputo Wheeler).

I have a 16 month old daugther – my first – and her name is Elizabeth Marjorie Wheeler and we had a really hard time picking a name because we didn’t want her to have the same name as anyone else in our family. Everyone asks us what we call her and we say Elizabeth. If we wanted to call her Beth or Lizzy or Eliza we would have named her that.

Just my feelings, I know when she gets older her friends might call her a nickname but this is what we are doing for now.

March 7th, 2008 at 10:55 am

19. Jen says:

Our first kid is due in two months and we are having the same issue. The husband wants a name that can be shortened and I’d rather my child’s given name be what is used.

That being said my name is Jennifer. My family calls me Jenny. I suppose my mom thought it was cute when I was little and unfortunately it stuck. When I entered kindergarten I insisted my name was Jennifer and it stayed that way all the way through high school. Then I got to college and it seemed my name had too many syllables for higher learners and everyone started calling me Jen. So I go by all three – at work I’m Jennifer, to my family Jenny, and to my husband’s family Jen.

March 7th, 2008 at 11:14 am

20. Cindi Hoppes says:

In my family, we went with the shortened version of our names. I would kill anyone who would call me Cynthia! My brother was Donald and we called him Donny. My sister is Carol and we call her Carol. My in-laws call their sons Jonathan and Christopher because that is their names. I think my mother-in-law still cringes when I call my husband Jon. My youngest son is Alexander and we call him Alex for the most part. He questions why we just didn’t name him Alex?! Our other son is Spencer, and gets called Spence a lot. Go figure…..Cindi

March 7th, 2008 at 12:07 pm

21. Marie says:

Our daughter (1 year) is named in the Guam tradition – two first names, my maiden name for her middle name and her father’s last name. So, her first name is officially Priscilla Louise. We never intended to call her Priscilla, and always planned on Lou. Lou is a family name on my side.

We have also been using Lilla at times. It will be intersting to see what happens as she gets older.

March 7th, 2008 at 12:30 pm

22. Nancy says:

In my limited experience, people either deliberately choose names that have options for nicknames, or names that cannot be shortened at all. We went with the latter, wanting our kids to choose their own nicknames if they wanted to.

My husband is Jonathan, he answers to either Jon or Jonathan. His family and those who’ve known him his whole life tend to call him Jonathan, and he uses it for work, but he’ll also introduce himself as Jon. It’s not like certain names are reserved for the cool kids, call him what you like and he’ll answer. Nancy doesn’t have many nickname options, you can call me Nance but never Nan. Always hated Nan.

My 4 yo is Alexander, we call him Alex most of the time, occasionally Alexander. I don’t think he realizes yet that there are other possible names from Alexander, but as long as he doesn’t want to be called Al (shudder), I’m ok with them.

The baby is Zachary, and we do tend to call him Zachary more than Zach but we use both names for him as well. Actually sometimes we call him Zachariah too, even though that’s actually longer than his given name.

March 7th, 2008 at 1:16 pm

23. Jessamyn says:

We liked the name Genna (or Jenna) but my husband says you can’t name a kid a nickname (when I liked Jack he said Jackson, Charlie:Charles, Max:Maximus or Maximillian) so we have a Genevieve. Which, as it turns out, is actually a family name. We called her Genna almost exclusively until we had an Annabelle (and can’t agree on a nickname). Now we use Genevieve a lot more often so she doesn’t feel neglected since her sister has a longer name.

March 7th, 2008 at 1:22 pm

24. Mama Peach says:

My mother actually avoided certain names that she loved the full version of but despised the shortened form for. She wanted to name me Catherine but was afraid I would get ‘Cathy’ which she did not like. Funnily enough my best friend’s name is Cathy, and appears as such on her birth certificate.

I have no problems with ‘pet names’ – my daughter goes by Miss Peach quite frequently. But if I liked the shortened version of a name, that is the legal name I would give my child (i.e. Jen instead of Jennifer).

March 7th, 2008 at 2:24 pm

25. Beth says:

My parents never called me Elizabeth, it has always been Beth. Well, unless I was in trouble, then I got the full first and middle name!

March 7th, 2008 at 2:47 pm

26. ericafromamerica says:

hmmm. i wish to be polite. america is not a “lame” nickname for erica. also there are lots of cool nicknames for erica; erie, eureeka, erotica, ricka, rickie, err, sisssss. so, erica is a cool, nicknamable name.
    i named my daughter sophia intending to call her sophie with the option of using sophia for her as an adult. my husband william (aka bill) did not understand why i would name her one thing and then call her something else (yes, I named her – he hated the name and yes, i pointed out that his name is william but everyone calls him bill – this quieted him down about the nickname). in the end, i never call my baby sophie, just sophia. go figure. oh, and now bill loves the name sophia! :)

March 7th, 2008 at 6:07 pm

27. Amber says:

I always said I would never name my child something then call her something else, but I have done just that. Her name is Allison and I usually call her Alli or Alli-cat. I never had a nickname (I guess there’s no good nickname for Amber though). I don’t see anything wrong with it. Whatever floats your boat!

March 7th, 2008 at 7:01 pm

28. Kidlet says:

I grew up with a kid named Michael Hunt… I kid you not. I didn’t realize how unfortunate this was until I was much older.

March 7th, 2008 at 9:44 pm

29. Sarah says:

Good point! My first name is Sarah but I went by Gus/ Gussie/ or Gussiebutt by my parents and siblings. Why? Have you ever heard the phrase “Gussie up” ? Apparently I had a very cute butt as a baby and it was always “gussied” up. I dunno…

My nephew Cade’s nickname was an interesting one. It morphed from Cade to Tade to Taterbug to Tatertot over the years.

My nephew Tell (that’s his first name legally) goes by William (named after William Tell) and Telly Belly, Belly, Belden, etc.

My brother Sean’s name was interesting. He is NOT a junior (isn’t Sean Jr.) but he was called Junior, JJ, etc. by my parents.

My sister Jennifer was always called Ginger and Ginger Lee. She was supposed to be named Ginger but the neighbors down the street stole her name lol.

March 8th, 2008 at 1:13 am

30. Tara says:

I am most definitely not a fan of shortened names. My brother is David and my mother (and later, he) never allowed anyone to call him Dave or Davy. My name is Tara and my husband’s is Ryan so those names don’t really lend themselves to being shortened. We named our daughter, Aidan, which can’t really be shortened either. Now nicknames, that’s a totally different story. My mother gives everyone in her family a nickname, it’s how she she lets them know she loves them. I’m Waa (because my brother couldn’t pronounce Tara when he was little and called me “Waa-Waa”), my husband is “Rynnie” and Aidan is was “Punkin-Tater” and now she’s “Poodle-toodle”. I have no idea where she got those names. ;)

March 8th, 2008 at 7:29 pm

31. adrienne says:

I don’t know that there’s a right or wrong to nicknames, but I do think you should consider if there is one you loathed attached to a name you choose.

Victor is a great name, but do we not want a Vic running about. Howard is another classic, but Howie- no thanks. Plus there’s the whole Ho-Jo thing with our last name.

March 9th, 2008 at 6:00 pm

32. SarraJK says:

My name isn’t conducive to a nickname, but my mom was adamant when she named my brother Robert that it not be shortened. He goes by Bob now (he’s 20).

My husband goes by the shortened version of his middle name (Alex), and has since he was born. Sometimes his friends even shorten it further to Al.

We chose my son’s name (Arlington) and nickname (Link) on the same day. Some people have suggested the nickname Arlie, but I think we’ve headed that off by calling him Link from day 1. (And yes we know Linky is stinky, but even if there was no way to make fun of his name, they’d think of something else.)

March 10th, 2008 at 6:13 am

My parents deliberately chosen names for my sister and I that were not easy to nickname (Sarah and Rachel). and they never called us by nicknames, so we pretty much didn’t have them. I’m still iffy on nicknames. My husband, OTOH, still goes by the nickname that his parents chose his name in order to be able to call him.

March 10th, 2008 at 6:48 am

34. Joy says:

I grew up with a short name and people actually lengthened my name for a “nickname.” My parents always called me by my full name and we do the same with our son. My husband’s family uses nicknames as terms of endearment. So my husband, Caleb, goes by Cabe. Our son, Roman, now goes by Roe. I think to some it just feels more affectionate to call someone by a nickname.

March 10th, 2008 at 5:42 pm

35. Diana (Holes In My Shiny Veneer) says:

My parents gave all of us names that they thought couldn’t be shortened– I understand their thinking on Diana and Bryan, but Jennifer? My poor sister was always telling people her name wasn’t Jenny and now legally goes by Jen! We did have family nicknames like Di and Bry, but I only let those closest to me call me Di as it’s a term of endearment…

As for our kids, we purposely gave them names that couldn’t be shortened in any way. My husband goes by a shortened version of his name and people are always asking him what his given name is. We didn’t want there to be any confusion for our kiddos.

However, they do have their Internet alter-egos of Mugger and Bug!

March 11th, 2008 at 2:17 pm

36. leslie says:

Our 3 year old’s name is Nathan and that’s what we call him (not Nate). I like the way Nathan sounds better than Nate but obviously, if he chooses to go by Nate later in life, that’s fine with us.

Our 6 month old’s name is Katherine but we call her Kate (not Katie, that’s too cutesie). We gave her the longer formal name to give her the option of using it later in life, if she chooses to be fancy like that.

After Kate was born (and named), my sister pointed out that we now had a Kate and a Nate. The rhyming names didn’t occur to me because I never think of Nathan as a Nate, but there you have it. I tried to avoid cutesie names at all costs and I ended up with a pair of rhyming sibling names. You can’t get any more cutesie than that.

March 11th, 2008 at 11:08 pm

37. Jen says:

I am yet another Jennifer; Jen with one ‘n’. But there are so many Jen and Jenn and Jennifer-types at work than I have to go by my last name.

My 10-month-old daughter Elizabeth goes by Liz…..or Lizard. I think I call her Lizard more often than I call her Liz! I’ve caught myself singing the “Lizard is a Grumpy Butt” song a few times in Target and getting some strange looks.

March 12th, 2008 at 3:27 am

38. Darby says:

Nicknames, to me, are family or friend-tagged names that have more to do with the person’s personality, ie: Rooster, Flash, Bean, Deisel, etc.

In my opinion, names that can be shortened are just names that can be shortened, not nicknames. That is why I do not favor them, and intentionally named my children names that cannot be shortened (Summer and Eli.)

However, I do know people who were named typically shortened names such as James and Thomas, who have successfully kept the full version of their names in tact. It took a lot of diligence by their parents to make sure no one was calling James “Jimmy” and Thomas “Tommy”, but their hard work paid off and their children have always only been known by their full names. Kudos to them.

March 13th, 2008 at 6:52 am

39. Jessica G. says:

I love nicknames. My husband is Alan but goes by Al or Alley Cat to those who know him. His rubgy team calls him Preacher, due to his profession.

I am Jessica and went by Jessie as a child. At some point I dropped it and now only my husband or old friends / family know me as Jessie. I go by Jess for a lot of people. My brother called me Sooka (Jessooka) and that stuck.

I have Parker (a girl) She has already been called “Parkie” and “PeeGee” (after her initials P & G) by her friends and teachers. Gotta admit, I am not thrilled with Parkie. We call her P-Liddy on occasion (Parker Lindsay).

My one year old is Paige. She has been regularly called “Paigie” and “GiGi.”

My grandmother was raised in a southern household that gave all the children pet names and they were never called by their “Christian” names. The three sisters were called: Wee, Tad & Sis.

March 13th, 2008 at 12:10 pm

40. Kit says:

Names give people identity, and sometimes the names we give children are not names with which they identify. I knew a kid all through school who so hated being “Matt” that he refused to respond to anyone who didn’t call him Gavin. I have also struggled with having several names, my given name, my preferred name and, as a writer, my pen name.

I go by a name that has nothing to do with the name my parents gave me when I was born. I was never comfortable with my given name and always felt like people were talking to or about someone else. In my case, I was the first daughter and I had a pretty, feminine, oldest daughter name, but I wasn’t that sort of a girl. I often get odd looks from professors, doctors and employers for the discrepancy between my given name and the one by which I go. I get many awkward questions and in the end I really wish there had been some way to shorten or personalize my given name rather than going by another name entirely. There is also the trouble of being disrespectful to my parents who, a quarter century ago thought long and hard about what to name their baby girl.

So, when we considered names for our triplets and any future children, we considered the nicknames. Tobias Raffaele could be Tobias, Toby, Tory, Raffe or T.R. amongst friends but still have a proper name to put on his wedding invitations, while Claudia Emlyn could be Claudia, Emlyn, Emme, Lynn, Cloudy or Cece but her diploma would have a proper, more professional name on it.

I think it’s good to provide options, if only because we never really know who our kids will to turn out to be.

March 13th, 2008 at 10:43 pm

41. allison says:

Heh. My parents went the opposite route – both of my parents have very short names that aren’t easily nicknamed. My mom would love a nickname! So, they gave long names to all three of their daughters that could be shortened.

Natalie, Melisa, and Allison became, inside the family, Nat, Missy and Ally.

And, of course, all three of us insist on being called by our full names.

With my kiddo, we discussed nicknames, but we’re trying to avoid or obtain. We named our son Griffin – and aside from making faces when someone calls him “Griff,” call him by his full name. Mostly, we call him “Buddy.”

March 15th, 2008 at 9:26 am

42. Kerstin says:

I gave myself the nickname Kika when I was about 1 1/2 because I couldn’t say Kerstin (Keer-stin), and that stuck throughout most of my childhood, until about high school, with most of my family and friends.
    My husband is Thomas Rees Davis IV, but has always gone by Tim, and when we had a son he bacame Thomas Rees Davis V, but we planned on calling him by Rees since I was about 4 months pregnant. When he grows up he can go by Thomas or Tom or whatever he wants, but I LOVE the name Rees.
    On a side note, by sister’s name is Melissa, she went by Missy Magoo when she was very little, but then ended up going by Magoo exclusively through high school–it was weird. At the end of high school she forced everyone to start calling her Missy,a nd that’s what she goes by today except with my son, who calls her Aunt Goo (and she loves it).
    I personally think it’s fun to have options, as long as people respect the right of the individual to request a change when they’re ready!

March 30th, 2008 at 8:25 am

43. Tess says:

My name’s Tess…and there’s not much you can do with that name. My little sister’s name is Tristyn, and she was the one with all the nicknames. Tris, Triscuit, Biscuit, even Biscuit-Eater is one of them. But mine suck…my dad felt find of bad and called me Tess Marker (I think it’s from some movie???) and then somehow he got Tess Farquar (wtf???), and anyway, I never had a cool nickname. The best I had was Tessie, and that’s to kiddish for me (although I have a childhood friend who I’ve known forever call me TessieBear…) Anyway, I finally decided to try to come up with a nickname for myself when my sister and I were bored and trying to think of names that really describe us. Finally, I thought of Taco. It has nothing to do with the mexican food. It stands for “Totally and Completely Obsessive,” which I am! I love it, and I’m so excited that I finally have a nickname!

August 21st, 2008 at 10:27 pm

44. Alix says:

My parents have given me and my siblings either nicknames or just shortend our real names. My fist name is Alixandra but i prefer alix, but my parents choose to call me Al. sometimes i’ll get the odd ally cat from my mom and ally from my dad.
    My younger sister was dubbed shorty by my dad. & my mom just calls her Erin(another way to spell Aaron). Now one of my brothers they only call Dev which of course is short for Devon. & my youngest brother Damon, they call Bud, Buds or Buddy which sounds more like Buddah. So apart from having funny spelt name, we’ve got all these nicknames… Atleast i’ll know when i’m in trouble.

October 23rd, 2008 at 12:12 pm

45. Erica says:

My name is Erica and growing up, i really didn’t have a nickname. it was always Erica for me. My mother named me after Erica Cane from All My Children and on that show, i don’t think she had a nickname either. Anyways, my friends have always tried to come up with a nickname and the ones that worked were America, Rica, Erie, Eric, Ca, Baby E (that one has nothing to do with Erica) and so on. My favorite was Erie. but with Erica, there isn’t much of a variety. So just be creative and expand your variety and have fun with coming up with nicknames. Even if they don’t connect with your actual name.

July 23rd, 2009 at 8:47 pm

46. Morgan says:

im morgan, and i have all sorts of nicknames like mo, mo-mo, morgie,morg and my friend erica cant find a good nickname and she wants something like mine, but all i can find is E. hmm what to do? i’ve looked on baby sites and everything…. still nothing, a nickname is something that describes you, and with her name its hard to find a good nickname!!!

December 22nd, 2009 at 2:00 pm