A Dinnertime Conversation with Our 3-Year-Old:

Daughter: "I want to be a grown-up."

Mom: "Why? It’s so much better to be a kid."

Daughter: "Grown-ups can do more things."

Mom: "That’s not true. We can’t go to the Bounce-A-Rama by ourselves."

[Bounce-A-Rama is an indoor inflatable play area at our mall. An adult must be accompanied by a child under 12-years-old and cannot partake in the fun without said child.]

Papa: "That’s why we had you. We wanted to be able to go to Bounce-A-Rama."

Daughter: "Noooo, that’s not why. You had me so Papa could play with my toys."

Mama: [stifling laughter] "If that’s true, why are we having another baby?"

Daughter: "Because when I grow up, Papa will play with Little Brother’s toys."

In her mind, she’ll be a grown-up any day now.

[Late addition... My daughter woke up at 12:30 a.m. and yelled out for Papa because she realized her socks were no longer on her feet, and really isn't that what Papa's are for? Dads excel at pitch dark sock fishing.

Anyhow, my wife happened to be snoring in a most conspicuous manner, audible throughout the house. I talked up how comforting it was to hear Mom's snoring because you know she's right there in the next room if there's ever a problem. My daughter's response? "I think it sounds like she's singing."

And now for a limited time, listen to the Thingamababy Lullaby. Limited meaning, until a certain someone gets around to reading the blog.]

Thingamababy Lullaby (MP3)

Update: Yay! She hit me in the arm and that’s it. She said she has a sense of humor and it’s not like I recorded her farting.

Hmmm. That has to be like a symphony to a 3-year-old.

Comments

16 Responses to “A Dinnertime Conversation with Our 3-Year-Old:”

1. Azca says:

Your wife is going to kick your butt!

March 7th, 2008 at 1:38 am

2. John says:

Dead Man Blogging

March 7th, 2008 at 3:49 am

3. Summer says:

That is hilarious! So funny! My husband says I snore and I don’t believe him…. once he actually recorded me with his cell phone and made it his ringtone! LOL

March 7th, 2008 at 6:27 am

4. addy says:

you should be arrested by the decency police….making a tape of a poor pregnant woman’s snoring should be illegal…that is just cruel…although a tad funny…at least now that I am not pregnant and snoring anymore…If she kills you for posting this I am sure the jury would acquit her…in a blink of an eye…

March 7th, 2008 at 7:05 am

5. Erica says:

If I were your wife the only thing that would keep me from killing you is that I don’t want to go sock fishing all by myself for the next eighteen years. But you would definitely be doing some very kind (slave-like) things for me for the next few weeks…and possibly be sleeping under the bed (the couch is too comfy).

March 7th, 2008 at 7:15 am

6. Jennifer says:

So do you have your will made out? Your wife just might kill you!

March 7th, 2008 at 7:40 am

7. JMo says:

I can’t believe I just listened to that. Your poor wife. This will be a good lesson for your daughter re: how just because you can do something, it doesn’t mean you should.

Hugs to your wife!

March 7th, 2008 at 9:05 am

8. Laura says:

Wow! You are a very brave soul. I’m glad I got to hear that before you are forced to remove it from the site.

If you let us know what hospital you will be recovering in, I’m sure your readers will be happy to send you flowers.

March 7th, 2008 at 11:01 am

9. Chief Family Officer says:

You’re so evil!

And your daughter is too funny!

March 7th, 2008 at 11:42 am

10. Cindi Hoppes says:

This blog made me laugh out loud! My husband has threatened to tape my snoring. I swear that I don’t snore! That was kind of you to fetch your daughter’s socks! Now, treat your wife the same way…..Cindi

March 7th, 2008 at 12:04 pm

11. K says:

That’s so mean, good thing for you she has a sense of humor about it.

Baby Bear has been talking about being a grown-up a lot lately too. I told him that grown-ups didn’t get to sleep in there mama’s beds and that they had to sleep in there own grown-up bed. He changed his tune veryn quickly.
    This from the kid who sobbed himself to sleep on his 3rd birthday insisting that he was not 3 and he did not want to be 3, not ever.

March 7th, 2008 at 12:10 pm

12. Mama Peach says:

OMG that was brilliant!! That’s pregnancy for you!

March 7th, 2008 at 2:27 pm

13. Mark says:

Hilarious! I am on the laptop in bed with my son sleeping behind me, so I got stereo snorage. Way to go for you on capturing it, and also to your wife for having a good sense of humor.

March 7th, 2008 at 4:03 pm

14. Taryn S says:

This is really funny!

March 7th, 2008 at 5:54 pm

15. Diana (Holes In My Shiny Veneer) says:

I love what your daughter said about her toys! I read it to my son to ask him if he thought that was why we had him and he said, “No Mama. You had me so Papa could BUY toys.”

March 11th, 2008 at 2:13 pm

16. MaryBeth says:

I love the funny way that the 3 year old brain works… I have a 3 year old daughter too. Oh, and she practically WILL be a grown up in a matter of days… at least I feel like the years are certainly shorter now that I have lots of little people in my life!

March 12th, 2008 at 7:27 pm