Aminals Huggable Soft Dolls

Aminals by Dreaming Lion LLC are huggable soft “dolls” (think stuffed or plush style characters) made from organic cotton.

They feature child-like crayon-style black line drawings with physical forms contoured to the shapes implied by the drawings.

The doll characters offered are a blue dad, purple mom, gold lion, tan dog, gray elephant, and a green dinosaur (who could double as a lizard).

Aminals appear to be child-inspired rather than child-drawn, as the company states they are “inspired by the creative lives of children and created for the future world that they are going to inherit.”

That’s probably a good thing considering that competitor FAO Schwarz’s examples of dolls genuinely based upon child-made drawings (Make My Own Monster Kit) are a bit pathetic looking. Meanwhile, Missing Monsters is another competitor that is based upon pre-supplied child preferences, rather than drawings.

Aminals are slated to enter the market this spring. So here are the big questions… If the price was right, would you buy one? Why or why not?

Update: I’m told the suggested retail price is $28.

Comments

19 Responses to “Aminals Huggable Soft Dolls”

1. Bunny B says:

I’d buy one cos they’re cute!!

March 26th, 2008 at 2:24 am

2. PsychMamma says:

I would buy them if the price was right because: I think the bright colors and expressions would appeal to kids, they’d be a fun, quirky addition to a nursery or kids room, they’re made from organic cotton, and I’m assuming they’re washable. Cute!

March 26th, 2008 at 5:04 am

3. Christina says:

My daughter would love one because she’d have a new “puppet,” which is anything she can make talk. It would definitely depend on the price.

March 26th, 2008 at 6:22 am

4. Jennifer says:

I wouldn’t buy one; but I wouldn’t be opposed to someone buying one as a gift for my child. There are so many other things I could spend/waste my money on.

March 26th, 2008 at 7:30 am

5. RubiaLala says:

They aren’t my style, I wouldn’t buy them.

March 26th, 2008 at 8:09 am

6. Allison (CodeCrafter) says:

I wouldn’t buy one. We got a ton of stuffed animals as gifts and my son isn’t even really interested in them and I’m not sure they will ever be favorite toys of his so right now I’m not buying any stuffed animals. I also don’t see anything particularly special about these, they aren’t really kids drawings and they aren’t particularly creative or imaginative pretty much the only thing I can see going for them is that they are organic.

March 26th, 2008 at 8:31 am

7. Carrie says:

Who needs more stuffed animals? Or aminals, in this case?

A couple of weeks ago, we had friends over and they made a game of pelting the kids with them and saying “Think fast.” It was the first time I’d ever seen most of the stuffed animals used!

March 26th, 2008 at 8:59 am

8. Lisa says:

I can’t stand gimmicks (how ‘green’ are these, honestly?) and I agree with Jennifer. So many other things to waste my money on. I’d waste my money on materials to make stuffed figures based on my own children’s scribble scrabble animals rather than someone else’s. No amount of money should be spent on something teaching my child how to spell ANIMALS incorrectly. “AMINALS” isn’t even cute.

March 26th, 2008 at 12:46 pm

9. Sara says:

Besides a few tried-and-true favorites that accompany him to bed, the majority of my 2yo son’s stuffed animals are stored away in the closet. I wouldn’t buy him any more. We get some as gifts, but really, he doesn’t play with them. Even if they were really cheap. Of the 3 similar-type things you featured, I think “missing monsters” is the best, and very creative, but since I know how to sew, I would purchase things and let my little one help me create his own monster, when he is older.

March 26th, 2008 at 1:08 pm

10. Erica says:

I don’t generally buy my kids stuffed animals because, as many people already stated, they get a ton as gifts anyway. I do like the idea, however, and I especially like that the parents are blue and purple. Although my whole family is practically albino so it’s no problem finding dolls that look like my kids, I appreciate when companies make dolls that are either multi-racial or completely non-racial like blue dad(sorry to all of you smurfs out there if that was offensive). It makes playing more imaginative and user-friendly to everyone, no matter who’s over playing at your house.

March 26th, 2008 at 1:22 pm

11. Cindi says:

They have something similar to this concept at DisneyWorld. My boys created their own toys and then later you would pick them up. A very young child, like 1-3, I would probably purchase one for. Other than that, no. Cindi

March 26th, 2008 at 1:52 pm

12. Eric says:

No, I don’t think so. The next stuffed creature I want to get my daughter is a “Missing Monster” that just looks incredibly cool. Everything else kind of pales by comparison.

March 26th, 2008 at 2:08 pm

13. Ashley says:

$28 seems a bit pricey to me. I guess I’m just a die hard DIY-er but I think with some rudimentary sewing skills you could make something similar without a lot of trouble.

March 26th, 2008 at 5:05 pm

14. jeff in nj says:

I wouldn’t buy it.

My wife could make one easily enough.

March 26th, 2008 at 5:33 pm

15. Stacey says:

Eh.

They are not as cute as something my kids and I could come up with and make.

Nope, would not buy one.

March 26th, 2008 at 5:50 pm

16. lisa says:

Would have bought one before having kids. Now? Not so much.

March 26th, 2008 at 7:48 pm

17. Lydia says:

No, I would not buy one. I think they are too two-dimensional. Kind-of boring when you explore past the cute artwork.

March 27th, 2008 at 5:47 am

18. Mama Peach says:

I wouldn’t buy one. I think the ‘Missing Monster’ is one of the coolest child-interactive ideas I have seen in a long time. I will be buying one with my daughter when she is old enough, but the scribbly stuffies, while neat, don’t really do anything for me (although I can’t speak for my daughter). If you want a pre-fab weird stuffy, I recommend an Ugly Doll, one resides on my desk at work and I find him to be a great comfort. :)

March 28th, 2008 at 3:44 pm

19. jenny says:

nope! i wouldn’t buy one.
    There are so many other cute dolls..
    those are little ugly and scary I would say..

March 16th, 2009 at 11:42 am