New Warnings! Caution! Danger! Bumbo Alert! Meep! Meep!

Photo of a purple Bumbo seat. It's a solid molded piece of plastic that allows a baby to sit upright while snugly cradling his legs and back.

What could be crazier than parents placing their babies in strapless unsecured Bumbo seats on tables and kitchen counters in direct violation of the product’s safety instructions?

Easy answer. Doing the exact same thing in direct violation of Bumbo’s new and improved safety sticker! Brilliant!

Warning sticker reading: warning - prevent falls: never use on any elevated surface.

Okay, some of this is old news. The Bumbo was recalled last September because parents were ignoring safety warnings. You know, warnings on the box and in the printed instructions. They placed their babes on elevated surfaces, and then the babies crawled or tipped themselves out of the seat and hurt themselves.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission’s definition of “recall” is pretty broad these days. In this case, a recall means existing owners keep their Bumbo and can ask to be sent a warning sticker and informational leaflet.

The sticker reads, “Warning — Prevent falls: Never use on an elevated surface.” And I’ll admit, a sticker will help future parents who buy used Bumbo seats, so long as the sticker remains in good shape. Why not embed the warning, permanently engraving it into the plastic of the seat itself?

But no,the chosen solution is stickers. But what sticker, exactly? Check out these two below:

Two warning labels with the same yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle. The first one reads: warning, prevent falls; never use on any elevated surface. The second one reads: warning, prevent falls; never use on any elevated surface. Never use on a raised surface. Never use as a car seat or bath seat. Designed for floor level use only. Never leave your baby unattended as the seat is not designed to be totally restrictive and may not prevent release of your baby in the event of vigorous movement.

First, ask yourself, at what point does a sticker go from providing safety advice to mocking the user’s stupidity?

If I read Bumbo International’s recall page
correctly, it seems the company has opted to simply make a
bigger, wordier sticker. (The ones with red lettering above are intended for consumers who want to print their own at home.) The wordier one on the right is a new and improved version I
presume (it’s not clearly explained) will be included in new Bumbo shipments, or maybe it’s
available only online for overly cautious parents?

Updated Warning: What follows is an expressed viewpoint that probably runs counter to your own deeply held opinion, especially if you own a Bumbo. If you are not comfortable with reading dissenting viewpoints, stop reading now.

Personally, I’ll never use a Bumbo. During feeding, I want my baby held held. During non-feeding awake times, I want my baby held, or lying on his stomach on the floor. It’s called tummy time. It helps your baby work on his developmental milestones — lifting his head, turning over, doing baby push ups, crawling and sitting up unassisted. I can always use a play mat, or play pen if I want to stick my baby somewhere while I do some work next to him in clear view.

When I first saw the Bumbo, one question kept running through my mind…. “Why? Why on Earth would someone invent this thing? Why would it become popular? Sure, it makes for a cute photo or two, but my God, it seems so… unnatural.”

I invite Bumbo owners to share with me their thought process in buying and using a Bumbo and the perceived benefits it has brought. If I don’t respond to every comment, don’t read anything into it. My philosophy is that I’ve had my say in this article and the comment form is your chance to have your say.

Comments

37 Responses to “New Warnings! Caution! Danger! Bumbo Alert! Meep! Meep!”

1. Jennifer says:

I had the exact same thoughts as you the first time I saw this. This product will not see the inside of my home! A child should only be placed in a sitting position if he can get into it on his own. It’s doing more harm than good. I hold the philosophy of Madga Gerber: Don’t put a child into a position she can’t get into herself.

February 1st, 2008 at 9:54 pm

2. Nicole says:

I, personally, loved my Bumbo seat. My son is now 2 and still likes to sit in it just playing around. As an infant, it was a great, compact and lightweight seat to use to sit him in once he could hold his head up. We took it camping at 4mos old and he chilled in the Bumbo while we set up the campsite. It was great to sit him in on the bathroom floor with me while I got ready for work (instead of a larger bouncy seat etc), so that he could watch me and I could still talk to him. And when we started feeding him solids at 5.5 months old he still wasn’t stable enough to sit up in his booster seat (we had the kind that strap to the kitchen chair… we have a small house so a highchair was just too bulky) so the Bumbo seat was perfect to sit him in to feed him solid foods.

I guess for some, the Bumbo isn’t necessary. But I think it’s great for people who want other options when they can’t be holding their child all the time or don’t want to leave them in another room on the floor alone or have a small home and need more compact gear.

February 1st, 2008 at 10:20 pm

3. Caro says:

I got one for my first daughter and put her in it a few times for pictures but then it really never worked out. It was hard to get her chubby legs in and out of and, really, wasn’t the ideal place for her for many of the reasons you mentioned.

I think I bought a lot of crap when I had her….seemed like a good idea at the time. :)

February 1st, 2008 at 10:39 pm

4. Jill says:

I’m sort of amazed at your hatred of the Bumbo. It’s not a necessity by any stretch, but it’s certainly not an evil invention. “Tummy time” doesn’t have to be just laying on the tummy… it really can be anything that helps them develop their muscles to be able to lift their head and eventually sit up – the Bumbo helps with that in a way too. Some babies do not want to lay on their tummies. Mine hated it. But you know what? He still learned to roll over, sit up, crawl, and walk (by 10 1/2 months)…

Back to the evil Bumbo. It was a good little seat for him to sit and play and get a change of scenery. I will admit that we did put it on the table at dinner time before he could sit up quite well enough for the high chair. We didn’t leave him unattended. He liked joining us at the table though.

I could have taken the Bumbo or left it. It wasn’t a “must have” in our house. We got it as a gift. And we used it for a few months.

February 1st, 2008 at 11:18 pm

5. Tracy says:

My daughter couldn’t enjoy tummy time in the early days because she had minor reflux problems. We bought a Bumbo chair after our doctor advised us to keep her upright as much as possible, and it was a lifesaver. I couldn’t hold her every second of the day, so the Bumbo kept her upright and comfortable when I couldn’t hold her. I only used it until my daughter could sit up on her own, but it was well worth it in our situation.

February 2nd, 2008 at 3:42 am

6. Erin says:

I also loved my son’s Bumbo seat. My son was very chubby, and had a hard time keeping himself in a sitting position, even though he was able to by himself. The Bumbo let him be sitting up, in the middle of the action, when otherwise he’s be (unhappily) on his back. We got months use out of it and it was well worth the purchase price for us.

I understand this is your blog and your free to write whatever you want, but I was pretty surprised at your outright hatred for it. Especially the jabs at parents who DID and DO use it for whatever reason. I held my baby most of the time, gave him plenty of tummy time, but heaven forbid if I want to use an ingenious, cute and practical baby item to “stick” him in for a few minutes.

February 2nd, 2008 at 7:53 am

7. Ticia says:

We didn’t use a bumbo with our first two because it wasn’t neccessary. I got it on the advice of a friend who found it helpful when she had an older child and the infant wanted to be able to watch. So, our two month old was able to sit on the kitchen table with us while we ate dinner and participate when she wasn’t big enough to sit comfortable in a high chair, and this allowed her to be part of the meal. She sat in it as a 4-6 month old in the wagon when sitting by herself she would have lost her balance as I pulled it and this allowed her to come along and have fun as we went to the park. You may not personally like it, but it is very helpful when you are not able to hold your child all the time, and want your baby to be able to participate.

February 2nd, 2008 at 8:45 am

8. addy says:

I love the Bumbo chairs they are a life saver…I have triplets and could put each one in a bumbo and they loved to look at each other for hours…can not hold them every minute…nor do I think that babies need held every minute…they got to a point at about 21/2- 3 months where they like to be upright most of the time but I can’t manage to hold them all upright for hours…also used it for feeding they would sit in a row and I would spoon feed them all at one time…highchairs were too bulky for our space…the bumbos also seemed to curb the reflux for my two that had reflux..also have you seen the cool utube videos of them…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRqMzSJMi64

how can you not love them?
    addy

February 2nd, 2008 at 9:07 am

9. Christy says:

Personally, I thought our Bumbo was fantastic for us. It allowed my daughter to interact with our family pets in a manner that I felt was safer than just laying on the floor. We also used it to start her on solids at 5.5mos, putting off the purchase of a larger feeding chair for several months. I was bummed that the didn’t come out with the feeding tray before we were done with it! We also used the seat for the obligatory photos…and they were adorable. She always seemed happy, alert and playful when we used the seat. She loved playing with her older cousin, who wasn’t quite as gentle with her when she was laying down on the floor.

Yes, we always supervised her VERY closely when we used the seat. No, we never had any problems with it either.

I’m a little surprised that you are so vehemently opposed to these foamy little wonders.

February 2nd, 2008 at 10:19 am

10. bombaygirl says:

I bought it for my daughter, and thought it was a great idea. She, however, disagreed, and would only last about 5 minutes in it. I sold it on craigslist shortly thereafter! Like any other baby product, use it if it works for you…right?

February 2nd, 2008 at 10:21 am

11. Sherri Edman says:

I’d like to make a positive, Bumbo-free suggestion for the parents who’d like to be able to hold their babies all the time but can’t manage it (and who can?): try babywearing. A good ring sling or wrap can be a lifesaver when you have a baby who needs to be held all the time. My two are 19 months apart, and my second was virtually always in a stretchy wrap or ring sling the first 6 months of his life. It made all the difference in the world– I was able to do things like mix up a batch of chocolate chip cookies while hands-free breastfeeding in the ring sling. Wearing my baby was, IMO, far superior to placing him in any kind of contraption– Bumbo, bouncy seat, swing, etc.

February 2nd, 2008 at 10:23 am

In response to Erin’s surprise at my hating the Bumbo, I’ll ask, “Aren’t there baby products you’ve seen that you think are absurd?” I’ve been critical of enough products to know there are exceptions to every rule, and the people who like the product will speak up. Thank you.

Incidentally, if you look at the Flickr photos, it seems a few parents put their babies in a Bumbo before the baby can sit upright on his own, or hold his head up, which sure doesn’t look good for posture.

Sherri’s comment about baby wearing reminded me that my wife used our Maya Wrap around our home as much as she did out-of-the-house. It liberated her to do anything in any room and the baby was simply happy. Whereas, I had our daughter on a play mat. For taking a shower, I used a bouncy chair thingie where I could secure her in the seat with straps.

February 2nd, 2008 at 12:05 pm

13. Deana says:

We used the Bumbo seat for our son in his physical therapy sessions. The kicker is though…if my son was a typical child, without his medical conditions and low body tone, I don’t see the use for the Bumbo. But for us, it was very helpful for a while, when he was still short enough to not flop over in it. It allowed us to sit in front of him and work on his upper body strength. (i.e. holding his head up by himself, bringing his hands to midline, and to his mouth.)

No it’s not for everyone, but for us, and other parents with children with severe disabilities, it really comes in handy.

I wish they made them bigger, with taller backs for special needs kids, just like I wish they made baby carriers (sling type) for taller disabled children, so it’s a bit easier for mobility.

February 2nd, 2008 at 4:27 pm

14. Jessica G. says:

I bought everything with my firstborn – including the bumbo. She was very colicky and fussy and I would try anything to keep her amused. At 4-5 months she would sit in it peacefully for a few moments, enjoying a new perspective. I used it as a prop for some photos (her long dresses billowed out over it – very cute). I – insert aghast shock noise here – would put it on the coffee table occasionally. Always supervised. Once she could sit up on her own, it was put away.

My second child was really chubby and her thighs did not fit in the seat well. That and she was more mobile – would actually try to escape the chair. We realized quickly it was not for her.

On a side note, I am a big fan of holding and babywearing. My first did not take to a sling but my second loved it. I don’t think most parents are looking at the Bumbo as an alternative to holding or wearing. I think it is one of those novel things that grabs popular attention – the baby on the box looks soooo happy and we are so sleep deprived and eager to make our baby happy … Boom. You now own a Bumbo.

February 2nd, 2008 at 5:46 pm

15. Naomi Shapiro says:

Loved the Bumbo with my daughter and now my son is in it at six months. He’s not quite big enough to sit up in his high chair at mealtimes and he’s too recumbent in his bouncy, so we put him on the table with us and he gets to be at eye level with the family. He’s more wiggly than his sister was, and chubbier, so I doubt he will use it for as long as she did. It was actually one of my favorite baby products.

February 2nd, 2008 at 6:00 pm

16. Tanya says:

I purchased a Bumbo when my daughter was 3 months old. I also use a ring sling, a pouch and a wrap carrier inside the house as much as I do in public. I held my daughter so much that my mother was convinced that I was causing her to have developmental delays. My daughter never stayed in the Bumbo for long. She mainly sat in it while I loaded the dishwasher or washing machine because she loved to watch me.
    She is 13 months old now and she has used her Bumbo every day for the past 5 months. I keep it on the counter between the sinks in our bathroom. She sits in it while I get ready every morning. It allows us to have more time face to face and to do things together, like brushing our teeth. I know that it is “dangerous” to put her on the counter in the Bumbo, but I feel that it is safer than sitting her on the counter without it. I also realize that if she falls, it is my fault and no one can else should be blamed. I don’t understand why people want to blame injuries on the Bumbo instead of admitting that they made a poor choice when using it.

February 2nd, 2008 at 6:24 pm

17. Geena says:

I would just like to add that our family has loved our Bumbo. They were not around with our first child and have been a life saver with our second. It was great to use when our daughter was younger, she could “sit” with us when we played games, etc with our older child and be included. It is small and easy to bring from room to room. Our daughter is almost 2 now and she still uses it to sit in or to play with and put her babies in. I would highly recommend a Bumbo to any parent.

February 2nd, 2008 at 7:38 pm

18. Meira says:

I really liked the bumbo with my twins — we would break all the rules and put it on the table while we were eating, so the babes could be *in* the action. And when they were very small (2 mos or so), they were desperate to sit up and look around, I felt like it was really handy. Since they were in my arms nursing 8-10 times a day (each!) at that point, I didn’t feel like 20 minutes a day (broken into multiple sessions) was abandoning them to a baby bucket.

February 3rd, 2008 at 8:27 am

19. Stacey says:

We got two Bumbos when our twins were born. As soon as they could hold up their heads I would put them in the Bumbo for a few min. every day. Combined with Tummy time and time on the balance ball both of them developed great stomach and back support. Both of them crawled and walked a bit earlier than I thought they would (crawling at 6 months and walking at 10 months) I nursed both of them and they were never left in the Bumbos for more than the time it took to eat some solids. I found it really handy with the first solids, as the two of them were a bit too small for the high chairs.
    I also used the Bumbo when I needed to shower. I would sit the kids in the seats outside the shower and get in. I left the curtain part way open so they could see me and I could see them. I was cleaner and they were happy :o)

I think that the Bumbo is great for the parent with a brain. The use of any baby item requires precautions. You can’t just leave your child in a piece of equipment and walk away to do your thing. Be it a swing, playpen or bouncer.

February 3rd, 2008 at 10:39 am

20. Victoria says:

My daughter loved her bumbo and we used it regularly for about 5 months until she wasn’t interested in it anymore. My daughter didn’t like to be in wraps or slings etc..indoors. Out and about was fine.

Frankly, I don’t appreciate the insinuation that if you use or used the bumbo you are a slacker parent. I believe that every family is different and what is right for one family isn’t for another. Also, what works with one child doesn’t work with another. I have a friend who has triplets and the bumbo is a life saver for her. Is she a slacker parent because she can’t hold all three babies constantly? I think not.

You don’t have to like the bumbo or think it is a good thing for your family or child. What is unsettling is an opinion post that is so black and white. I enjoy thingamababy and this post seems out of character.

February 3rd, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Victoria, I’m not sure where you picked up the slacker inference, but the examples I provided were based on my postulating why parents buy a product I feel (with rare, probably medical, exceptions) is a poor choice.

Rather than be insulted that I’m vocal in my distaste for a baby product, I hope you’ll see it as a reason to continue reading Thingamababy and continue thinking critically about your parenting choices. There aren’t many baby product blogs that will cast a critical eye on products. When seeking any analysis online, stick with the sources that provide a full spectrum of responses. I prefer to talk about good products I can recommend, but I’m not here to “Rah! Rah!” for manufacturers or to reinforce existing opinion, even when it’s the prevailing opinion. When I see the Bumbo on the shelf at Target stores, I accept that I’m a minority opinion.

February 3rd, 2008 at 3:18 pm

22. pickel says:

As an adoptive parent who has a son who was very developmentally delayed I can see why this would be good. He was past this developmental point when we adopted him but his upper body strength was lacking and if he came home earlier we probably would have used something like this to develop his neck muscles.

Like Stacey, I could also see the use in small bathrooms when saucers won’t fit and children won’t tolerate bouncers anymore. With supervision (and an attentive parent) a shower could be completed effectively.

February 3rd, 2008 at 6:51 pm

23. Paul says:

I never heard of the Bumbo until reading this blog – my wife and I used bouncy seats for securing our infant kids when we needed to shower or “corral” them for short periods. I certainly resepct the opinions of the “pro-Bumbo” crowd, but I wonder if there are any potential health concerns – is an infant’s body designed to support its own weight in a seated position?

I also watched the video provided – I think the featured parents’ main safety issue is not making sure to correctly place the warning label. Rather, the safety issue I see in their home is having a dog who shoots lasers and can telepathically transport itself and the infant child around the home.

February 4th, 2008 at 5:12 am

24. Tracie says:

I LOVED my bumbo. I got it for my second child and used it to help him sit and play with some of his toys and for his first solid food feedings. He did tummy time from the day he came home from the hospital and was on the floor a lot on his tummy or back, or he was held a lot, but he was a kid that HATED being held unless he was eating. He wanted to see things and explore and the bumbo gave him a little bit of freedom to play like his sister, sitting up. We never used it on an elevated surface, only the floor and never had any trouble with it at all. And we didn’t use it until he had great head control, at 3 months, but was too little for an exersaucer. We used it for very short periods of time too. I was never one to stick my kids anywhere for long periods, whether it was in their carseat (not in the car), an exersaucer, playmat, etc. I think my oldest enjoyed it the most. She would grab it and sit in it for kicks. And as for a sling. My oldest loved it and would happily have stayed in it all day if we let her. My youngest screamed every time we tried to use it. We did use a baby bjorn carrier with him, but he hated it until he was face forward. He didn’t like a lot of the things our first one did. And as we quickly learned, you do what works for each child because they are ALL DIFFERENT!

February 4th, 2008 at 11:26 am

25. anishka says:

Like many of the posts above, I found great use of my Bumbo for all of the previously listed reasons. No need to describe my personal experiences as they all are pretty much reflected in the posts of above. I would like to respond to your post for it’s harshness of tone, patronizing delivery, self-righteous indignation, lack of empathy and understanding of members of the population who live outside your enclave of homogeneousness. I’ve read your site for about 8 months now and of late, was unsure about whether or not to keep you on my RSS feed. We differ on many levels but whereas I found your opinion differed from my own from time to time, I very much appreciated that you kept your tone civilized and non-judgemental and your dialogue was motivated out of the need to educate and share. However, with this recent post on Bumbos, I am taking you off my RSS feed as your fundamental disregard for common courtesy, respect and the golden rule made me realize that I don’t perspective you in my daily readings.

February 5th, 2008 at 12:16 pm

26. Dutch says:

We liked ours for a few reasons, but it was only useful for a few short months, like many are saying here.

My daughter still likes it, though, because she can carry it around and she knows it’s hers. Now it’s a toy.

One thing I do want to clear up – ours was in the recall and the warning **IS** molded into the foam. It’s clearly right there. It’s just the same color as the foam and done in relief. I suspect the sticker is just to draw more attention to it with color.

February 5th, 2008 at 2:09 pm

anishka, I hope the type of parent attracted to my blog enjoys my writings most of the time, and the rest of the time is willing to express their differing viewpoint and not be offended by the marketplace of ideas.

It’s impossible for me to be all things to all parents, unless I only express warm fuzzy opinions about products (there are enough parent product blogs already like that).

My feelings about the Bumbo are just that, about the Bumbo. Unless you invented the Bumbo, I hope you won’t take great offense. Nonetheless, I have added a cautionary warning to the middle of the article.

February 5th, 2008 at 3:07 pm

28. adrienne says:

AJ-

I own a Bumbo, and it worked well in helping our developmentallly normal son gain the core strength to sit up (he also LOVED his high chair).

That being said, you’ve written the funniest disclaimer ever!

Many parent blogs are losing relevance because they are simply repeating messages direct from manufacturers and marketers. I can’t tell you how disheartening it is to see a mediocre press release for a lame product in my email box reappear hydra-like on three or four MAJOR parent blogs.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions (even if we don’t always agree).

February 6th, 2008 at 8:15 am

29. Dani says:

We used the Bumbo on the recommendation of our PT. Jeffrey had some motor issues and we were able to work on his midline skills as well as help his core strength to sit up.
    We also bought one for his daycare. His PT told us definitely NOT to use walkers and he would get tired of the bouncers and whatnot. Anyway, we really like ours but I agree that babies should be given plenty of tummy time and being held.

February 9th, 2008 at 8:25 pm

30. twinsanity says:

I’m an Attachment Parenting, babywearing mom of twins. My husband and I own several different babywearing carriers and our girls spent lots of time being held, worn, and on the floor. We still LOVED our bumbos. The girls really liked being able to sit upright and interact with us and each other. Being home by myself all day with 2 infants made it nearly impossible to actually hold them all day and letting one sit up on the floor in her bumbo observing her sister’s feedings, diaper changes, etc. was so helpful if only for a few minutes at a time.

They also make great feeding seats for traveling by car. We used them to spoon feed the girls solids on road trips. Rest stops and picnic areas don’t generally come stocked with high chairs and its not like one parent can hold the baby while the other feeds the baby when you’ve got two babies screaming to be fed.

Do you also dislike swings and bouncy seats?

February 10th, 2008 at 4:39 pm

31. brint says:

We dig Bumbo. A little. Kind of like the Potsy Webber of our child-distraction aresenal. Attachment Parenting doesn’t meet our needs as parents, unfortunately, and you gotta put the kids somewhere. Plus, if they always lay flat they’ll get the “flathead” and have to wear a helmet.

Another bonus is Bumbo helps them fart, poop and burp, don’t know why, but it is similar to Daddy’s favorite pooping position.

February 11th, 2008 at 1:51 pm

32. Alicia says:

I agree with your thoughts on the Bumbo seat however it was recommended by my son’s PT to help strengthen his muscles. According to both the PT and Ped, this helps ensure everything is aligned while I do his prescribed neck exercises at home. So I guess in the end it does have some legitimate benefits to a baby who ACTUALLY needs it. But I agree, I have four children and wouldn’t have given this thing a second thought if it weren’t for doctor recommendations for my son’s particular health issue. Can’t imagine why anyone would use this as a booster seat or put it on a high surface – but then again, some new parents may not know better.

March 2nd, 2008 at 9:36 am

33. Alisha says:

Ah, commenting on an old post. Just wanted to remark that, as my son has pretty severe reflux, we have to limit his tummy time. He has to stay upright after feedings for at least an hour, and since we feed on demand and he is a super-growing boy (he’s as “tall” as the neighbor’s baby who is a year older and not small himself), he eats pretty often! I wear him around in the Maya wrap pretty often, but that seems to wear him out, and he doesn’t have enough control yet to sit up properly in his high chair for the solid foods we’re just now trying, so I got it for that. It’s nice for short periods. Like anything else, I would never leave him alone and unattended in it, but the seat itself — just like a playpen or anything else — is hardly evil.

Different babies and different parents need different solutions. We have a couple of different chairs for him, since he has to spend so much time upright. I give him as much tummy time as possible, but it really makes him hurt, so it’s not like I can exactly just dump him on the floor and let him wriggle while I handle something if I can’t get into the baby sling right then. You know?

June 16th, 2008 at 2:11 am

34. G.Ausburn says:

I purchased a Bumbo for my granddaughter who lives with her mother at home still, I have to say the purchase was a tremendous success for all involved.
    The little one at 3 1/2 months is so independent already it will make your head spin. Also a suffered of severe reflux having to be dependent on others makes her extremely tempermental and irritable.

My daughter tried a body carrier with her once and after finally calming her down after her fit it’s much easier to use her preferred method of letting her dangle over our arm as we carry her.

Tummy time has to be closely montiored since it tends to increase the reflux, but using the Bumbo seems to have decreased the episodes some what while giving her the independence she thrives on.

Laying down became a big no-no not only after the reflux became severe but also after she realized the world looked differently while being held upright! She’s now able to be surrounded with a large fluffly blanket that holds small toys elevated to her level that she can pick which looks the most appealing instead of us offering her each one until she decides…lol

Our family pets are also able to interact with her much more calmly since “the authority figures” of the house are not holding her. Nose kisses from a Shitzu seem to make her giggle (only after my daughter realized dog kisses don’t warrant immediate baths and ER visits…lol) and our large dog calmly lays with his nose where her toes can reach him and it thrills them both!

Every child and situation is different, for some the Bumbo can be a life ane mental mind saver while for others it’s a bizarre looking contraption that seems like a abstract piece of artwork.

For me the who did her mothering in a time where there wasn’t such a word as “tummy time” we spimply placed our kids on the floor on a blanket so we could manage to get things done, and our kids learned that playing with dust bunnies was an everyday occurance the Bumbo is both… definately a life saver! And also an unusual abstract piece of art.

August 27th, 2008 at 6:57 am

35. Lori says:

Nothing to do with the Bumbo, but I’m surprised at some of the reactions from readers. All you say is why. You mention it seems unnatural. Just your opinion. Personally, I thought the thing was a toddler booster seat until I realized a toddler couldn’t fit in it.

Incidentally, I read on another site about a father’s curiosity with the country’s obsession with the Bugaboo stroller. He claimed it seemed so strange and unsafe-looking. I agree; it looks … odd. Plus, for $800+, the thing should change my kid’s diaper or have armor plating on it. Marketing works, I guess.

Now a Bumbo story, though not mine: My former gym trainer purchased one for his (relatively) petite wife. Poor thing. Gave birth vaginally to an 11-pound baby. The kid weighed almost 20 pounds by 3 months. No disorder. No overeating. Just a big kid. She claimed the Bumbo saved her life … or at least her arm muscles. To each, his own …

February 22nd, 2009 at 3:35 am

36. Leigh says:

Sam loves the bumbo. My back that has issues with carrying the baby all the time loves the bumbo. In fact, we all love the bumbo.

And we even use this product knowing what tummy time is. I know it may sounds strange, but we do both. Bumbo. Tummy time every day. Weird eh? And we carry him too. And we feed him in our arms. And come to think of it, we also have him on his back on a mat almost every day.

March 7th, 2009 at 5:00 am

37. Bri says:

I may just be the worst parent in the world…My three month old son uses his bumbo in the bathtub. We also set it on restaurant chairs (who wants to hold a baby while trying to eat chinese?) He LOVES it. It’s also great to set the baby in while one is using the bathroom, because common sense tells us that an infant should NEVER be left alone.

March 29th, 2009 at 3:18 pm