34 and 6/7ths Week Ultrasound Update

Original title: Baby X is Growing Impatient

My wife and I had a conversation last night that went something like this:

"My water broke!"
"I’m sorry, no, you probably peed on yourself."
"Not uh!"

Another
late night visit to the hospital. Yay! There we received conflicting
results. One test said, "No way!" and the other test said, "Yes way!"

So we’ll be returning for an ultrasound this morning to check amniotic fluid levels. (Woo hoo! Another ultrasound picture I get to play with!) We could be induced and delivering in the next 24 hours, or continue to full-term on our due date (March 22).

If
he comes early, we’re told that although his lungs will be
underdeveloped, he won’t receive steroid treatments because at this
"late" stage they wouldn’t help much.

Fingers crossed.

And
regarding that other pesky question, no, we haven’t agreed upon a name.
I’m told we have seven days from birth and then an employee of the
Social Security Administration rips open a phone book and slams his
index finger down on a name, and there we go.

Update #1: We’re home and will be checking Mom’s temperature every two hours, but we’re probably in good shape. I’ll share a little more detail and an ultrasound after we’ve had a chance to eat lunch and loosen up.

Update #2 (Final?): Here is a recap and the rest of the story. Dear ol’ Mum felt a trickle last night and was certain her water was breaking. At the hospital, nitrazene strips indicated she was leaking amniotic fluid, but a visit by Mr. Speculum indicated everything was fine. We were sent home with an ultrasound scheduled the next morning. Sporadic leakage was confirmed by nitrazene strip at home through the night.

This morning, the weather inside was dry and balmy. The ultrasound revealed ample fluid in the amniotic sac. He is still a he and we learned his estimated current weight is 6.2lb (2800 grams).

So, the consensus is that we experienced a tiny leak and the hole has since sealed or is sealing itself. Mom will be monitoring her temperature. If a hole exists in the sac, there is a risk of infection to both mom and baby and an abnormal temperature would be an obvious warning sign.

But, unless something new crops up, we’re back on track for a March delivery. And now… some pictures…

An ultrasound profile of Baby X. His mouth looks a little funky because he is swishing his tongue.

An ultrasound image of Baby X's boy parts. The ultrasound tech labeled the image: I'm a boy! I added a label that reads: beautifully crafted uncircumsized manhood.

My wife crafted the text label on the second image.

Comments

30 Responses to “34 and 6/7ths Week Ultrasound Update”

1. thordora says:

wow! That early! Good luck!

February 14th, 2008 at 3:40 am

2. Paul says:

Best of luck! There’s a lot to see in this world and a wonderful family to meet so it’s no surprise that he’s impatient!

February 14th, 2008 at 4:15 am

3. addy says:

goodluck I hope everything turns out good…our babies were 4 1/2 lbs when born at 34 weeks… I had the lung developing shot pretty early…but none of of my babies needed oxygen or anything…the hospital’s can do alot with premature babies these days…

February 14th, 2008 at 5:43 am

4. Kathleen says:

Good luck…I’m sure everything will be fine…think positive :)

February 14th, 2008 at 6:17 am

5. Katie says:

I’m kind of jealous. My due date is TODAY and I’ve been having pre-labor for days and wish the baby would just come already!

Good luck and I hope the baby is nice and healthy.

February 14th, 2008 at 6:56 am

6. Christy says:

Good luck, AJ. My due date was Monday. If I don’t go into labor by Sunday then they are going to induce me. I have borderline gestational diabetes and I am not a big girl (5’1″) so they don’t want me to go past 41 weeks. I am pretty nervous an dscared because I wanted a more natural route. I don’t like that they are possibly taking away the excitement and spontaneity of the birth of my first child. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything goes smoothly and your little guy and wife are healthy.

February 14th, 2008 at 7:11 am

7. Erica says:

Congratulations! Although it’s exciting, I know it’s also a little nerve-wracking because this is early, so I pray everything’s healthy and goes smoothly whether he makes his appearance now or later. :o) And hey, maybe once you see him his name will pop into your head. If not, fill out the Social Security form for your wife while she’s drugged and pick one of your forbidden top eleven…

February 14th, 2008 at 7:26 am

8. Tara says:

good luck!

February 14th, 2008 at 7:48 am

9. Bree says:

Good luck! Can’t wait to see an update!

February 14th, 2008 at 8:46 am

10. lace says:

Good luck! Hopefully you get some good news that everything is fine and your baby can wait till his due date.

February 14th, 2008 at 8:51 am

11. Danielle S says:

So exciting! Sending “easy labor and delivery dust” your wife’s way!
    Good luck!
    dansan826 at yahoo.com

February 14th, 2008 at 8:56 am

12. JMo says:

Best wishes for your family.

YAY for us – we either get a new u/s picture or real baby pictures to enjoy.

Hmmm, did you guys plan this to increase blog traffic and comments? j/k

February 14th, 2008 at 9:31 am

13. Diana from Holes in my Shiny Veneer says:

Sending a prayer up for your family!

February 14th, 2008 at 9:33 am

Medicine can do marvelous things with preemies, but I am praying they will be able to keep your little one inside longer. Give you more time to properly think through all the names. Give him more time to grow in the best environment for that. Prevent him from having all the teasing of being born on Valentine’s Day! (though I’m sure April Fool’s Day is worse… I know! THink she can hold off until February 29? Then she’ll have a baby who only grows older 1/4 of the time as anyone else!)

February 14th, 2008 at 9:34 am

15. RobMonroe says:

Good luck! The name can wait. You would be surprised at how many medical records that crossed my desk with “BabyGirl” as the name because the parents did not decide on a name before they left the hospital.

February 14th, 2008 at 10:53 am

16. Allison (CodeCrafter) says:

My fingers are crossed for you! I will be anxiously checking back for updates to the blog.

As for the name, you plenty of time! We didn’t name our son until after he was born. We had a short list but I couldn’t pick one until I met him face to face. Even after we picked a name I spent the next few days wondering if it really fit him but now I am certain it was the right name for him.

February 14th, 2008 at 11:25 am

17. brettdl says:

Good luck, A.J.

February 14th, 2008 at 11:53 am

18. Samantha says:

Good luck!!! Hope everything goes well!

February 14th, 2008 at 12:22 pm

19. Jennifer says:

My twins threatened to be born at 31 weeks (they would have been “Easter bunnies!” : )), but fortunately held off until 36 weeks. I remember fearing the worst. Best of luck!–and I know this sounds trite, but try not to worry; I think my own worry made it worse.

February 14th, 2008 at 1:00 pm

20. complainypants says:

All the best! My 10 week old baby KIP was born at 34 2/7 weeks and was 5 lbs. 7oz (my water broke and it wasn’t a trickle!). He didn’t need any oxygen and was really healthy. We stayed in the Special Care Nursery for 2 weeks until he was feeding vigorously from me or the bottle, and now he is gaining a pound a week and weighs 11lbs8oz!!! All this just to say: baby boy will be fine and not to worry. Oh and also to say Kip is a GREAT name and we get so many good vibes back from people when we tell them his name!

February 14th, 2008 at 4:16 pm

21. Jenna Glatzer says:

Hey! That’s what happened to me! (The… um… slow leak thing.) I was lazy enough not to rush on over to the doctor, too, because I was sure it was no big deal.

“How long has this been happening?” they asked. At least 2 days. Oops.

They made me go off and give birth right then and there.

February 14th, 2008 at 4:40 pm

22. pinkbeary says:

wow! you baby is definitely impatient. congratulations on your baby! i hope and pray everything goes smoothly and well.

February 14th, 2008 at 5:30 pm

23. STL Mom says:

Good luck with everything.
    If you’re stuck for a name, Suburban Turmoil had a contest for the worst names last year:
    Just pick one at random. After all, one person’s worst name is another’s best name – what on earth is wrong with a kid named Linoleum?

February 14th, 2008 at 6:45 pm

24. Chief Family Officer says:

I hope baby stays put for another three weeks! Thanks for keeping us updated.

February 14th, 2008 at 8:36 pm

25. makakona says:

yep, names can wait! our youngest wasn’t named for a loooong time. insurance was our only blockade. she’ll be one next month and while we FINALLY have a birth certificate, she’s still ssn-less. need to get on that… tax return’s a-callin’ my name!

February 15th, 2008 at 12:39 am

26. Becca says:

Glat to hear the little unnamed guy isn’t coming so early. Good luck to both he and Mom.

February 16th, 2008 at 10:32 am

27. Cindi Hoppes says:

I only had one ultrasound and it was with my youngest son ( now 16 ) and he was yawning!
    He still likes to sleep. I love showing him his ultrasound picture! Cindi

February 16th, 2008 at 8:52 pm

28. ericafromamerica says:

hope your wife is doing well and there is no more amniotic fluid leakeage. are you all ready for the baby? can we see a picture of the nursery???

February 17th, 2008 at 8:16 pm

29. Dani says:

Good luck!!
    My water broke at 29 weeks and as a NICU veteran? 34 weeks is cake. :)
    Okay seriously? 34 weeks is late enough that your baby already has the suck reflex (develops at 32 weeks) will probably NOT have any lung issues as well as you have already bypassed most heart and brain issues. All of the 34 weekers in the NICU while we were there were “short timers”. They spent usually a week or two at most before being released. In comparasin, we were there for about three months.
    Good luck and hopefully you’ll make it a few more weeks!!!!

February 21st, 2008 at 9:23 am

30. JMo says:

Doesn’t this post seem like years ago? And now Baby Boy has made it all the way to his due date (or close enough anyway). YAY!! I hope this means no NICU time.

March 20th, 2008 at 9:02 am