Tools and Tricks to Keep Socks On Baby Feet

“Most manufacturers say that ‘their’ baby socks stay on and most are liars.” —”Bridget” in a random parenting forum.

So, it’s cold and the baby socks keep coming off. What to do?

Here are two devious inventions that take gravity head on in a battle to the death. Or, well, you get the idea.

Photos of two products: Baby Socks Appeal and Snapdragon Baby Socks.

Snapdragon Baby Socks have a loop on the end that hooks around a pant leg snap. Your baby must wear an outfit that has legs that open with snaps. You can adjust tension on the sock by hooking the loop around the second or third snap instead of the one on the end of the pant leg.

Baby Socks Appeal aren’t socks. They’re fabric anklets placed over socks to hold the socks in place. The link goes to an early mom-inventor website that is currently short on details, but one online source references the anklets has being secured with Velcro.

Here are a few tricks I used on my daughter’s feet…

The Shoe Trick enjoyed moderate success. That’s where you stick on a pair of Robeez slippers over the socks. The point is for the shoes to grip the ankle just enough to secure the socks. It worked best while she was an infant being carried. There’s nothing I hate more than losing socks in a store.

The Double Size Trick helped when she began crawling. I bought socks a size or two larger than appropriate and pulled them up to her knees. They would still slide, but could be pulled back up before they came off.

Other times, there were socks with elastic so tight they gripped well, but left a mark on her leg, or socks with cuffs you roll down to better grip the leg. No one solution quite worked for us. How about you?

Here’s a Baby Socks Appeal video to demonstrate the sock slide problem… except, it takes 37 minutes for their demonstration baby to kick off a single sock. My daughter was much more efficient.

Comments

18 Responses to “Tools and Tricks to Keep Socks On Baby Feet”

1. Julia says:

I made my son hand knitted socks that can be custom fitted to his feet. They stayed on great- while they were his size. Then they slid off a bit, but still stayed on better than the store bought versions did. They are quick and easy to make, too, if one can knit…

February 5th, 2008 at 5:09 am

2. Amanda says:

We always put Robeez on our son too – it was the only way to keep socks on him! Plus, Robeez are cute :)

February 5th, 2008 at 7:13 am

3. Deana says:

robeez..or duct tape. ;)

February 5th, 2008 at 7:45 am

4. Nancy says:

Another Robeez user. Once the Robeez come off, he immediately pulls his socks off.

February 5th, 2008 at 8:47 am

5. kim says:

I used the small elastic hair scrunchies and put them around my daughter’s ankles. They come in two sizes and I stretched them out a little so they were not too tight. Never lost a sock!

February 5th, 2008 at 9:25 am

6. scurvyann says:

Aaaaaghh – I remember those days. The only socks that actually stayed on our baby’s feet were made by Trumpette. They’re really great! We got the stripey kind, in all different colors. Our first batch was given to us by friends who swore by them.

February 5th, 2008 at 11:00 am

7. bob says:

i used these with my son when he was small and they were fantastic. i can’t see any stockists in the US though

February 5th, 2008 at 4:18 pm

8. susan says:

trumpette for me too! well, for my daughter… never ever lost one! :)

February 5th, 2008 at 4:36 pm

9. Eliz says:

I fell in love with Old Navy athletic ankle crew socks. They are thick, warm and never came off. Once I found these I never had a problem with missing socks. Our DD is almost 3 now and I still buy them for her!

February 6th, 2008 at 10:15 am

10. Debbie says:

We had great results with the hanna andersson socks. They’re super expensive, but since small babies don’t walk, you don’t need many.

Gap’s triple roll socks stayed on pretty well too & they’re just $2 per pair!

February 6th, 2008 at 4:48 pm

11. Heather says:

I also used Robeez with all three of my kids but my 3rd is my first girl and when she goes through a phase of pulling off her socks I just put tights on under her pants. Right now its winter and this is a convenient double layer as well. This could be done with plain white tights that would look just like socks under pants for a little boy.
    Heather

February 7th, 2008 at 4:44 pm

12. Taryn S says:

We just use robeez here too. I’ve also found the trifold socks harder for even my toddler to get off :)

February 15th, 2008 at 11:17 am

13. tessa says:

I like the baby legs. They go over the socks and help keep everything in place.

I just bought ankle socks today and hopefully they will be decent. I often opt for no socks and keep them covered with her blanket.

the robeez sounds like a good idea.

February 18th, 2008 at 9:41 pm

14. kate brotherson says:

Stay Put Socks! is a device that keeps babies socks on their feet. You simply slip the device over your babies socks and on to the smallest part of his/her ankle. The socks stay on all day and won’t fall off. Yeah! they work!! You can order them online at http://www.stayputsocks.net for only 4.99 a pair and they come in sizes newborn to 18 months.

May 2nd, 2008 at 1:18 pm

15. sara brotherson says:

I agree, Stay Put Socks work. It is a clear little ring that goes over your babies socks and keeps them from falling off. I got them online at stayputsocks.com. They were 4.99 or you can get an “all size” package that has every size you little on will need from the time he is born until he is 18 months old.

August 6th, 2008 at 10:40 pm

16. Reagan says:

A clear ring? That sounds like a potential choking hazzard.

December 14th, 2008 at 12:22 am

17. Jacqueline says:

When my daughter was born I was given a gift of a 6 pack of white cotton socks that advertised “socks that don’t slip off”. I didn’t believe it but they actually work 90% of the time. My daughter is 9 mo’s old and they are the only socks that stay on. I found this site in attempt to try and find them online. If anyone has more info for me, let me know!

December 19th, 2009 at 8:19 pm

18. Jacqueline says:

Ok, I found them! They are Trimfit infant booties. They seem to be quite difficult to find. Here is the only website where I found them: http://www.newbabyproducts.net. I’ve had so much luck with them I literally just ordered 20 pairs of them!

December 19th, 2009 at 9:00 pm