Three Pregnancy Updates: More Bumps in the Road

We have a baby due in March. To recap our saga thus far:

1. Baby brewed in a home conception kit.
  2. Mom catches Fifth Disease.
  3. Ultrasound rules out ectopic pregnancy related to an earlier medical problem.
  4. No ill effects seen from Fifth Disease in ultrasound.
  5. Another ultrasound reveals baby has dangly boy parts

Update #1, 23rd week

In the second week of November our 3-year-old daughter was running to hug my wife, but performed some sort of running knee-jab to her belly. She experienced pain and contractions that persisted all day, resulting in an evening at the hospital. There was external bruising, but no harm was seen in an ultrasound.

Update #2, 24th week

In the last week of November, we spent another evening at the hospital after my wife lost her mucus plug. She has had a tough pregnancy with back pain, tightening of the belly and contractions when she’s tired or stressed. This was the final straw, with a doctor’s order to stop working part-time and take it easy.

So, she has been home and taking some anti-contraction medication and not doing a whole lot because she easily gets wiped out. This is a sort of double financial whammy for us because she’s off work, and I work at home, and as the pregnancy progresses more of my time is devoted to family and home issues. If we only lived in Norway

Update #3, 27th week:

The week before Christmas my wife acquired a phlegm-filled cough that we thought was a chest cold. I had some lingering doubts that she might be catching pneumonia, so last night we stopped by the hospital to have her lungs listened to.

Did I mention she occasional has asthma attacks and was taking puffs of her medication all day yesterday? So at the hospital she was diagnosed as having asthma symptoms (inflamed lungs, etc.), with 88 percent oxygen saturation. That refers to how much oxygen is in her blood. Normal saturation is 98 percent or higher. They put her on a heavy-duty inhalant fed continuously through a mask to get her back to normal.

Dare I say it? I worry what effect everything to date may have on the baby. But with the latest ordeal, you kind of need to bite the bullet because, you know, a woman’s got to breathe. It’s 1:40 a.m. and we’re back home…

In other news, if you’re finished with the holiday rush, stop by my ill-conceived discussion launched on Christmas Eve about taking toddlers to movie theaters, and e-mail me about the best gifts you gave your children because the As Not Seen on Thingamababy Thinga-reader Gift List will be published tomorrow.

Comments

10 Responses to “Three Pregnancy Updates: More Bumps in the Road”

1. Chief Family Officer says:

Oh, no! I’m so sorry about all the extra stress and worry! And I pray that everything will be easy from here on out, and that you have a healthy baby to hold in about 10 weeks (13, if you’re hoping to make it all the way to 40).

December 26th, 2007 at 5:34 am

2. Priscilla says:

I will be thinking of you all during the rest of the pregnancy. I’m very sorry you’ve had all of these things to worry about.

December 26th, 2007 at 6:42 am

3. Julia says:

I’m sorry to hear of all your complications. If it makes you feel any better- I am on corticosteriods, antihistimines and albuterol for asthma (regular) and took all the drugs through all 3 of my pregnancies with no harm. Not the best situation, but it’s better to have oxygen. Take care and Merry Christmas!

December 26th, 2007 at 6:52 am

Thanks (all). Not to be completely dreary, I should have included an update on prepartum depression that we experienced with the first pregnancy. We have a therapist in the mix this time as a preventative measure, but have no problems so far despite all these bumps.

December 26th, 2007 at 8:32 am

5. adrienne says:

I am so sorry to hear you’re experiencing all this additional stress!

My friend was on bed rest and anti-contraction medications through much of her very difficult pregnancy with twins. If the drugs had any effects on her babies- they were all positive (think genius babies). On Christmas eve, her 2 year old daughter was reciting the pledge of allegiance (in total) for any attentive adult. Her son is equally brilliant.

We were diagnosed with gestational diabetes at about this point in Ranger’s pregnancy. Between crying spells that I’d already broken the baby and learning how to inject myself with insulin, it seemed so hopeless- like nothing was going to go right.

Ranger was then born with a giant head and our pediatrician had a fear of craniosynostosis. Under medical advice, I had to quit breastfeeding before the end of his first year. It felt like his future was slipping through our hands.

While at two- he can no more recite the Pledge of Allegiance than he can bust broncos, he’s still a smart, thriving child. He’s very tall for his age and is hitting all of his developmental milestones.

Jim and his brother were born with serious birth defects (a hole in the heart and Meckel’s diverticulum respectively) that had total resolution by adolescence (the only lingering effect is that both men are not eligible for the draft).

You both are working hard to give your baby the best chance possible. You can do no more than that- and that sincere effort is still a huge gift even in the face of multiple obstacles. In this post there’s a lot going wrong, but it’s easy for an outsider to see that you’re doing everything right despite tough circumstances.

adrienne

December 26th, 2007 at 1:00 pm

6. Dani says:

Sorry to hear that all is not progressing with perfection. We’re here hoping and praying that all will be well for all of you.
    If it’s any consolation, our son was born 11 weeks premature at 29 weeks and 0 days. He is now a healthy happy almost two year old. He still receives services from Early Intervention but is quickly surpassing their goals for him.
    May good luck and good fortune find you and your family.

December 26th, 2007 at 1:45 pm

7. Asha says:

Wishing you all well, AJ. Happy, restful, peaceful holidays to you.

December 26th, 2007 at 10:42 pm

8. Lindsay says:

What a tough time. Hang in there. The many ways that children stress us even before they are born. Maybe even more for you. I know what your wife may be thinking being a L&D nurse. I am a respiratory therapist in the NICU and also think by weeks but everything will be fine. Take it easy!

December 27th, 2007 at 10:32 am

9. Marge says:

CONGRATULATIONS on the boy! We have a girl and I would definitely have another baby if I knew it was going to be a boy (we’ll probably have another one either way but…). I am a huge sports nut and I know that my daugther could be one too but there is just something about having a boy. WAY TO GO!

December 27th, 2007 at 10:53 am

10. SB says:

Hi,

Sorry to hear about all the complications. I hope and pray that the new year greets you and your family with more health, wealth, joy and peace.

December 28th, 2007 at 12:48 am