Two Toys to Occupy your Toddler to the End of Time

Here are two ball-track toys from Kiddie’s Paradise, Inc., a Taiwanese children’s toy manufacturer with no appreciation of math, or perhaps science or science fiction.

Or at least, they are very bad at thinking up product names…

Forever Up-Down is a 6″ x 6″ x 12″ hunk of plastic you flip over every which way to
move a ball along an embedded track that loops back upon itself. Two balls that move at different
speeds are included to provide two skill levels, intended for ages 4
and up. I’d call it a Möbius Strip, or maybe Deep Thought. Your toddler can hone her manual dexterity while pondering the meaning of life for seven and a half million years.

Forever Up-Down is sold at Munchkin Field and Hot Toads.

Tai-Chi Ball is also a sort of mobius strip encased in a clear plastic sphere so that you never lose the track ball. Look at the expression on the kid’s face. When you stare into the sphere, the universe opens itself up for a few seconds to show you what’s possible, or maybe you see how you’re gonna die.

The toy comes in small and large sizes.

You could incorporate the ball into an actual Tai Chi routine, you know, the martial art turned mind and body exercise craze. Except, I have trouble envisioning the quiet, fluid movements of Tai Chi being accompanied by a rolling, rattling sound.

An age range isn’t specified, but the small one looks appropriate for the hands of a 2-year-old. I’d call the toy the Infinite Improbability Drive, or maybe just Cat Toy.

I didn’t locate a US retailer for the small Tai-Chi Ball, though it is sold in Europe. A large Tai-Chi Ball can be found at Munchkin Field. (I’m not sure, but you might be able to buy direct from the manufacturer. I’m not clear on whether it’s offering wholesale or retail sales.)

When drafting this article I initially titled it, “Name these SciFi Baby Toys.” Is it just me? Are these toys not screaming out for really cool names? Any ideas?

Comments

8 Responses to “Two Toys to Occupy your Toddler to the End of Time”

1. Jeremiah says:

These are both cool, but the first one looks truly amazing. Thanks.

November 6th, 2007 at 6:13 am

2. JMo says:

I thought the first toy was a bedpan, and this was one of those “items around the house (??) are more entertaining than expensive toys” posts.

November 6th, 2007 at 9:09 am

3. Bee says:

For your other uk readers, you can get the Forever Up and Down from SpecialDirect.com. (It’s listed under Resources>Motor Skills>Hand-Eye Coordination)

November 7th, 2007 at 1:20 am

4. Sara says:

I agree with JMo, for a second I thought the first toy was a bedpan! Perhaps in Taiwanese the names sound much cooler or make sense but don’t translate to English very well…common with many Asian to English translations. But cool toys anyway. I personally like your Douglas Adams inspired names.

November 7th, 2007 at 6:22 am

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Bedpan?

November 7th, 2007 at 9:51 am

6. Jessica G says:

I want one! Not the bedpan. The cool ball that is unavailable in the US. I always want what it just out of reach…

November 14th, 2007 at 7:51 pm

7. Jamie B. says:

Ha! This is pretty funny!! I am looking into selling these blah blah named items! Maybe we could introduce them as the latest bedpan and newspaper combo! If all goes well, I will let you know…yes, I’m in the USA!

November 19th, 2007 at 5:51 pm

8. Rachel White says:

I don’t see why most of you guys should be bashing these toys, especially the author at making fun of the company and their products. As a teacher who works with children with special needs. I find these products are great hand eye coordintation and development toys for childrens. The names of the product correlate with the purpose of the toy. The owners of this small company are teachers as well, and work with kids with special needs, many of their products are designed with a purpose in mind. Maybe you should do a little more research before bashing a company when you know nothing about them! These toys are sensory toys, not educational toys.

November 4th, 2008 at 8:16 pm