Strobaby: A Stroller with an Integrated Changing Pad

Photo of a red baby stroller with its seat folded out to form a changing pad.

BabyDeck by Etadel, Inc. is an invention that embeds a diaper changing pad into the seat of a baby stroller.

StroBaby is a sister company of Etadel that looks to be preparing to sell strollers featuring the BabyDeck. The release date for one of the strollers is January 2008 with sales on Amazon.com in March.

The pad’s mechanics are simple.

1. Place the seat into a reclined position.
  2. Flip a switch on the frame to unlock the seat base.
  3. Unfold the seat to open the changing pad. If the baby is on the seat, lift her legs up first.
  4. Place the baby on the pad.

I’ll boil the major marketing claims, the ones that seem reasonable, down to:

Convenience – Restrooms aren’t always available or accessible in a timely fashion and changing tables aren’t always offered. BabyDeck is better than changing on the ground or in restrooms. Plus, a pad is one less thing to carry with you when you stroll.

AJ says: We survived quite nicely with our first daughter by changing in the
back of our car, or placing a pad on a park lawn. I’ll accept that
there are experiences quite different from ours, or that using a
stroller pad is better merely because you don’t have to sit on the
ground to change a diaper.

Health – Restroom changing tables are disgusting. You can wipe your BabyDeck clean after each use.

AJ says: Well, everything in a restroom is disgusting. We all get by somehow. I’m more worried about germs on the door handle than any other surface in a restroom.

There’s not much else to report. I didn’t find a description of the mechanics of the device, or how the changing pad supports itself so firmly as it hangs in the air.

The best specifications are on a gallery page showing the Abie G-305 BabyDeck stroller.

A number of questions come to mind. Maybe they’ll be answered as this product comes to market.

1. What length and weight infants are supported by the BabyDeck? Is it infant-only, or could an 18-month-old use it? The Abie G-305 supports kids up to 45lbs, but is that the stroller’s capacity, or the changing pad’s capacity, or both?

2. Does the pad use its own restraining belt, or the same one used when the seat is in its upright position? I presume it’s the same upright belt because it would be cumbersome to unlatch one and latch the other, and that process isn’t shown in the product video (see below).

3. Cost?

4. What’s up with this BabyDeck blog titled Smile with Your Baby? The writer also authored two articles about BabyDeck on a different website that Google News identifies as being news releases:

That second pseudo-news-marketing article mentions Greg Allen of DaddyTypes and his New York City men’s room changing table research, although it’s his film and writing career that are mentioned, not the blog. Somehow I doubt Greg I now know Greg did not consent to being referenced in the release-story-whatever-it-is.

The blog is also disappointing. Etadel has what might be a viable baby product, maybe a feature that will be found on every baby stroller 5 years from now. But, the company appears to have gone and dumped a bunch of marketing articles into a blog, or at least sat back while someone  else mysteriously did it for no good reason. I could speculate on several reasons why, but it all comes down to speaking in an inauthentic voice. Label the blog for what it is, or better yet, keep that stuff on your primary company web site.

And now, a brief video of the BabyDeck in action (it skips reclining the seat back, but all the other steps are shown).

Comments

6 Responses to “Strobaby: A Stroller with an Integrated Changing Pad”

1. Kaz says:

If you can wipe down your stroller after each changing, can’t you just wipe off the public changing table before using?

I don’t know what kind of changing pad they are using, but I don’t really find it inconvenient to carry one around with me.

I’d rather buy a really good stroller and carry around the pad than buy a mediocre stroller with a built-in changing pad so that I don’t have to carry one around.

Besides, my back hurts enough as it is. I can’t imagine bending down to use this…

October 11th, 2007 at 5:18 am

2. Deana says:

We change our son’s diaper in his stroller (baby jogger city series) with it reclined all the way back. Or in the back of the car.

As he gets bigger we may find this to be more of a challenge.

Our biggest struggle with diaper changes is on airplanes. There is just no easy way to do a diaper change with a disabled child on an airplane!

October 11th, 2007 at 9:17 am

3. SuperMom says:

============================
    wow! I like the idea!
    For some ppls, esp me, wiping of public changing station is like wiping off the toilet bowl on every use. You still feel ‘yucky’ thinking someone elses poop/bacteria is still sticking there.
    Well, you may attempt carry diaper pad along with other stuffs anywhere, but, I bet, one day, at the most odd location, most critical moment, you may just find your beloved diaper pad no where around (forgot?)… ==> crying Baby and worst, No Diaper Changing Station around! By then, you best $499 stroller just sitting there, smiling at you… lol!
    I believe, this product could be the solution to the *problem ( I have to actual use it before I can give you better review) . Based oncommon sense, If we can adjust and recline the seat, then shoundn’t having any problem to change the diaper on the same setting. In addition, I saw many parents use diaper pad on the floor, it hurts more back this way!!!
    lol..

October 11th, 2007 at 5:46 pm

4. Lisa says:

I actually LIKE this idea, too! It’s just about as handy as……hmmm….let’s see….the invention of portable changing pads (which we do forget to carry with us from time to time, let’s not lie) !

Though i wouldn’t appreciate another mom changing her child in the middle of the food court simply because having this stroller would be a more convenient alternative to actually getting up and getting to the bathroom, I do recall instances in which this feature would have come in handy. Let’s suppose your Honda Odyssey is jam packed with all your goods from Costco and there’s just no room in the trunk? I can see this becoming so popular (as popular as, you might say, a portable changing pad was once back in the dawn of baby inventions…) that I won’t be surprised to see it as a standard feature on most decent quality strollers someday. I might say as standard as a canopy or a foot rest, even.

I’m curious to see the many generations of models this will go through until they’ve perfected it and how it will address those practical issues, some of which AJ has mentioned like the weight issue. THough as far as the weight issue, the part that clicks up looks like it only needs to support an infant’s/toddler’s legs. The actual stroller seat should support the majority of the weight.

Their marketing tactics seem very cheesy but a good product is a good product. FAR LESS practical gimicky baby doodads have done well, unfortunately (like that baby fruit in the net pacifier looking thing. ew.)

I can tell you that if the better, european (or US!) stroller manufacturers start incorporating something like this onto their strollers, the general population will be all over it. Wait a little longer after that and it will be standard.

October 11th, 2007 at 9:35 pm

5. adrienne says:

I watched the video repeatedly this morning because I am just that lame and obsessive.

It appears that the deck portion simply rests on the hinge. I can imagine our little acrobat, mid-tantrum planting his feet and arching his back enough to deform, if not break, this otherwise unsupported hinge.

It looks like a standard stroller harness, too. So the passenger’s shoulders are tucked in but not secured once the poetically-named crotch strap is removed.

From the cursory overview of the blog, it looks like they’re working to create FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) in parents about the wisdom of using a normal changing pad:
    “The ideal of a comfortable travel with a baby is often foiled by a sudden need to change the baby’s diaper. This is especially annoying for tourist couples, most of them young and inexperienced. While traveling with their baby (or babies) to a resort on vacation, tourist couples frequently confront the lack of any restroom facility. Baby changing tables, of course, are out of questions at these spots. As a result, parents have to lay their child on the ground, in the open, and change his/her diaper. Annoyance and risk of infection go hand in hand!”

Classy, let’s stigmatize popular methods and add even more doubt to the lives of “young and inexperienced” parents.

I’ll stick with a changing pad. If you have trouble remembering them just buy a package of 3 of the washable ones (I like the embossed fuzzy sheep) and leave one in your stroller basket until you exchange it with another.

October 12th, 2007 at 6:21 am

6. varrie 4 kids says:

unsupported hinge?
    Strange, I have two strollers (one Graco, another peg perego brand) both of them come with footboard or footrest. These footrests also on unsupported hinges, and they’re quite strong enough to support legs.
    Based on the video, I thought it’s based on the same principle with strollers which come with footboard/footrests.

I read the your meaning of “FUD”, well it did presenting realistic facts to me, not something out of thin air.
    We have a incident happens to us (related) in Hawaii 2003. We did carry the diaper pad but it got mess up with split sticky juices @#$

My 2 cents.