Design Your Own Plush Monster

FAO Schwarz claims, "If you can draw it, we can make it!" That’s right, it’s a
Make-My-Own-Monster Custom Design Kit.

Photo of a boy standing holding a simple green plush creature that has dangling arms and legs and crude facial features. A magnified version of the child's monster drawing is visible in the background.

Step 1. Mom and Dad spend $250.

Step 2. Junior draws a monster on a sheet of paper with supplied colored pencils. Dad has him diagram out the monster 10 times on scratch paper first to guarantee perfection.

Step 3. Junior fills out a questionnaire about the monster.

Step 4. FAO Schwarz ships a plush version of his drawing made by the North American Bear Co. with an attached tag that tells the monster’s story.

Step 5. Grandma says, "Two-hundred-and-fifty-dollars? I would have sewn that sorry looking thing myself. The Price is Right ends at 11 a.m. What the hell do you think I’m doing with my time? "

The finished monster is approximately 18" L x 10" W x 21" H.  Color options are not explained, but a review of real monsters created by customers points to some combination of four colors that include black and white.

If I had a spare $500 laying around, I’d spend $250 on this kit, and $250 toward a professional artist’s drawing — just to see how the plush version turns out. But alas, FAO Schwarz will dash such dreams. A customer review on the site indicates complex drawings get rejected. Tell me again what I’m paying $250 for?

Save $232 by buying some other child’s monster. Seven are being sold on the website at $18 a pop. Four of the seven are the creation of 4-year-old Niko. In other words, Niko’s parents have spent at least $1,000 on stuff animals for their pampered little tyke.

Make-My-Own-Monster is a product of the North American Bear Company.

Comments

14 Responses to “Design Your Own Plush Monster”

1. Allison says:

Hey I know how to sew…but somehow I don’t think people would send ME $250 dollars to sew their kid’s monster.

This product makes me kind of sad. It’s taking something that could be a great bonding experience for a child and parent or grandparent or other loving adult in their life and commercializing it and turning it into a “See if I pay enough I can get exactly what I want.” experience.

Maybe I was just really luck to have crafty people in my life as a child who made me toys and costumes that I still cherish today.

I guess I should also thank FAO for giving me a great activity to do with my Son when he is a little older!

October 2nd, 2007 at 10:00 am

2. STL Mom says:

Ha! Right now my daughter and I are working together on making her own “rag doll” — inspired by reading the Little House books. So far I’ve spent 40 cents on two pieces of felt. We cut out a doll shape, and my daughter is sewing around the edges. I predict we can stuff it and dress it with materials we have around the house – but it not, we could buy stuffing and fabric for less than $5.
    But if people will pay $250 for this kind of thing, my daughter and I will have to start a little business!

October 3rd, 2007 at 8:12 pm

3. Lisa says:

OH what a GREAT idea!! I’m gonna run out to Jo~ann right now with my 40% coupon. WOOT WOO!!

I agree with Allison. Count on FAO to commercialize precious moments. ugh. If you made it yourself it’d be PRICELESS. You child won’t care if it’s not sewn well……

October 5th, 2007 at 6:31 pm

4. Jenny says:

I’m not sure why you guys are so upset about this?? I think it’s friggin’ great!! That is the coolest thing that I have seen in awhile!

I am a freelance designer and I wish I could have thought of this myself first… and I sure wish that I could sew and had the skills to do this, because I would so do it. I also feel the need to mention that I own a business doing custom artwork for people and there is nothing more special than having some material gift for yourself or someone else that is highly customized. It’s perfect. And people pay way more than that for custom art of themselves or family. I just don’t see the big deal.

In my opinion, this world is about making money anymore. I’m not saying that I agree with that, but it’s the truth. I’m not sure how one of your millions of scratchy kids drawings being turned into a cool pillow takes away the meaning and “preciousness” of their work and some bond between you and your kid? What bond was it that was created by them drawing some silly monster anyways?

I think if you all had the talent to be able to do something like this, and the creative idea to pull it off, you would be doing it for $250 a pop too.

All I’m trying to say is that if I were rich, I’d have one made for each of my kids. What a fun and creative way to bring their creativity to life. Haven’t you ever wanted a toy doll of yourself or anything? Ever dreamed about what it would be like to see your creations as some real product? Just understand what that means to some cute kid and how special they would feel the day it arrived on their front porch.

November 4th, 2007 at 6:21 pm

5. Deanna says:

I have been making handmade stuffed monsters for over a year now…My business is called “missing monsters!” Here’s how it works: Your child pretends that his or her monster is missing, they describe it to me using words, (think mad lib style) and I go out and “find” it for them and return it to them in a box mailed to the house that says “handle with care” “monster inside.” I provide a 4×6 photo of where the monster is found and a hand written note about what the monster was up to when I found it sealed in a “confidential” envelope. All this for $35 plus shipping! check out my website at http://www.missingmonsters.com *(sorry, I just couldn’t read all these posts and not let you know I exist!)

November 28th, 2007 at 8:34 am

6. nicky says:

Dude… I could totaly make that myself. $15 max! Seriously. Hancock fabrics usualy has a 40 or 50% off sale on their fleece. So you could pay about 2 bucks a yard so for 4 dollars plus tax you can make your kid sibling or child a plushie.

Seriously, I am so sorry that FAO is such a ripped off garbage maker.

July 2nd, 2008 at 8:49 am

7. Jesse says:

This woman does the exact same thing for way way way cheaper.

July 9th, 2008 at 7:02 am

8. jackie says:

WHAT????? I COULD MAKE THAT FOR LIKE 15 DOLLARS!!!!!!! YOU GUYS R NUTS!

July 18th, 2008 at 4:31 pm

9. Icharus says:

I don’t know why you guys are so against this. Really, I think it’s a great idea. Everyone needs to make money somehow. Best to remember is that this product isn’t for everyone. If someone has $250 to waste on their kid, great. I’ve had some parents tell me about how they spent over $500 getting a piece of art their kid made framed whereas I would just stick it to the fridge with some tape. But I don’t make comments on ‘damn those art framers, stealing money from the public.’ If you have the cash, spend it. Hell, it’s better than buying little Johnny a $600 Playstation 3 and tons of games that don’t encourage imagination or creativity. However, I would encourage people who are willing to spend $250 on this to perhaps try commissioning an independent artist who is struggling to make a go at a career in design. And don’t do it cause it’s cheaper, do it to help a small business off the ground.

August 13th, 2008 at 2:30 pm

10. Zzbeadz says:

$250 for a custom plush monster is crazy!

If you’re looking for affordable handmade monster toys or one of a kind collectable creatures try my shop http://www.Zzbeads.Etsy.com . Waaaaay cheaper than FAO…all custom creations are cheerfully attempted!

August 27th, 2008 at 1:26 pm

11. Annie says:

Thanks for the referral Jesse – I didn’t know FAO was doing this – wow, maybe I should raise my prices! ;)

September 30th, 2008 at 11:41 am

12. Stranger says:

Well i am just a kid but i would really want to make my own monster. i have been looking around but i think this is super cool.
    i am trying to get my parents to let me make one.

October 4th, 2009 at 4:53 pm

13. Julia says:

I also like Stinkincuties.com They are based in Oak Park, IL and you can buy one they’ve made or have them make you one custom. They are made out of recycled socks. So cute!

December 27th, 2009 at 5:49 pm

14. Annonymous says:

I’m a kid and I was like, “oh, that’s so cool! I want one!” Then I saw the price…..$250! That’s outrageous!!! Who in the right mind, would pay that for some garbage??? And the only reason someone would like to do this is either they like to waste money, or they are rich, VERY wealthy! Or maybe their child just won the Nobel Prize or something! Like, really?

July 31st, 2010 at 7:26 am