Dove Onslaught Commercial

Dove Evolution Commercial

Body Image Commercial

Third Runner-Up for Miss Teen USA 2007

Paris Hilton on the Late Show with David Letterman

500 Years of Women in Western Art (also as still images)

Comments

7 Responses to “Six Seemingly Unrelated Viral Videos that Maybe are Related for Parents of Young Girls Who are Thinking about their Children’s Future”

What makes a girl beautiful?
    What qualities should a girl have?
    What are we teaching our kids (boys too)?

October 3rd, 2007 at 2:30 am

2. Leslie says:

Thank you for reminding me why my kids don’t watch TV. Messages come from many sources, but TV is an unchecked floodgate in our homes… not just TV programs (which can be filtered somewhat), but the commercials for mature minds that run at all hours of the day.

October 3rd, 2007 at 9:01 am

3. Amy says:

I really enjoyed these pieces, except for Paris Hilton. Really…what did that have to do with self-image? I agree that Paris Hilton is not a good role model for our young girls, but I missed the point, I think. Thanks – I love this blog!

October 3rd, 2007 at 1:03 pm

Amy, good question. I debated whether to frame the discussion (what discussion? folks are quiet today) by posting my own opinion. These videos got me thinking about many issues. But, I’ll take a stab at one part.

Paris Hilton is one of many female celebrities placed on a pedestal by media corporations as a rich, glamorous, beautiful woman. In keeping with the other video examples, she dresses provocatively, has been known to act provocatively *cough*, and Dave introduced her as a film star and recording artist. She was on the show to promote her perfume.

At one point Dave even said facetiously, “A person in your position could serve now as an exemplary role model for youngsters.”

She is not a proper a role model, and should not receive the attention she does. We got to see Dave knock her off her pedestal because of one of her previous misdeeds.

Meanwhile, in the preceding video, the third runner-up for Miss Teen USA knocked herself off her own pedestal. It’s a wakeup call moment. She is being presented to us on national TV as one of our nation’s best young ladies, and then we realize the superficiality of our perception.

I concluded with the 500 years of art video merely to show the many interpretations of beauty, though I think you’ll notice some common themes in the type of women depicted (and I’m not even talking about the whole only-white-women-are-beautiful thing that has obviously been with us for centuries).

October 3rd, 2007 at 3:56 pm

5. AJ [a different AJ] says:

You were right on in including the Hilton clip. If she had only said all that Letterman said (about being a role model, learning her lesson, etc.) this could have been a very redemptive moment. But . . . we still have the “actress,” “artist,” and the “perfumer.” That stinks!

October 3rd, 2007 at 5:11 pm

6. Amy says:

Thanks for your answer, AJ. I totally agree with the Paris clip that it was an opportunity for her persona to be knocked off, or at least chipped, as I completely agree she is not a good role model for our kids. And the MIss Teen USA was just bad!

October 4th, 2007 at 5:17 am

7. Caroline says:

Very poignant videos. Reading your comments about the theme of ‘only-white-women-are-beautiful’, I would point out that the video mainly used art from Europe between 1400-1960, during which time there was less immigration between continents, and even urban environments were relatively homogenous when compared to our multi-cultural cities today. The solution would be to use a more global and modern set of art.

October 20th, 2007 at 8:36 am