Thursday, September 6th, 2007
Three Unusual Baby and Toddler Products, Volume 6
1. Baby Doll Playground Set by BabyDoll Playground LLC.
Buy a swing set and merry-go-round… for dolls. Sorry, the teeter-totter has been discontinued.
That’s right, instead of taking a favorite doll with you to a real playground and getting sunshine and exercise, sit in your backyard and push your dolls around a miniature playground set.
The company’s web site contains a comparison page explaining how its playground is superior to the competition.
Wait, what? There are more? I didn’t have the wherewithal to google for the competition.
2. Baby Cologne by Nenuco.
This cologne hails from Spain. No, it’s not baby powder. The linked import company states that “many Spaniards associate Nenuco with childhood
because so many babies are splashed with this cologne that is mild
enough for their sensitive skin.”
Your reaction is probably something along the lines of… “I don’t believe it! If your baby stinks, give him a bath!” BZZZT. Not in Spain. The importer also states, “It is a popular after bath cologne for all ages.”
Lest you think Spaniards are insane, maybe you haven’t seen Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Cologne. This cologne has a “gentle, fresh fragrance with a pleasant combination of floral and citrus hints. It leaves your baby smelling clean and fresh.”
Huh? What? Babies already have a zesty fresh-from-the-womb smell. They don’t need to be slathered in water, Polysorbate 20, Trideceth-9, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, fragrance, sodium benzoate, phenoxyethanol, citric acid, propylene glycol, tetrasodium EDTA, simethicone, Ext. Violet 2 and Blue 1.
3. Cradle Me Receiving Blanket by BabyBoo
This receiving blanket comes with a removable foam insert that “provides crucial neck support and allows loved-ones to hold and pass newborns with safety and ease.” There are also apparently Velcro straps that ensure the baby stays in the blanket.
Ignoring for a moment that skin-to-skin contact between mom and her newborn is important, since when do we need products that substitute for our most basic assets, like, you know, arms?
See related: Baby sleeves, pillows and padding for parents (where I’m taken to task for my skin-to-skin views).
See also: Three Unusual Baby and Toddler Products:
- Volume 1: High Leg chair extender, nursing bracelet, Clever Coverz.
- Volume 2: PlatePal, Mama Snot Pluck, Tubsider parent seat.
- Volume 3: The Zoo animal storage, Sneeze Sleeve, The Potty Song.
- Volume 4: Yellow pages booster seat, My First Zamboni, Solar System Travel Bag.
- Volume 5 Japanese edition: shampoo hat, nursing bottle scissors, Pooh bedpan.
- Volume 6: Doll playground, baby cologne, foam receiving blanket.
- Volume 7: Horse chariot, leather-like baby gear, Babywunder Deluxe.
- Volume 8: Fropper, safety tattoos, Snow Bear sled.
- Volume 9: Birthday Suit Bear, Wooden Train Chandelier, Pink Lego Bucket.