Pacifier Place: Crib Storage Rack for Pacifiers

Pacifier Place is a plastic teddy bear-shaped holder for two pacifiers. It attaches to the slats of a crib using adjustable straps.

This product was inspired by the inventor’s baby who would drop her pacifier onto the ground, or otherwise lose it in the crib. What parent wants to turn on a room light in the middle of the night to hunt for a binkie?

Close-up photo of the Pacifier Place pacifier holder attached to a crib, and one showing a toddler reaching for a stored pacifier from within the crib.

The Big Idea is to stash two pacifiers on the crib-mounted holder so that a pacifier can always be found.

The Whopper Idea is that when junior turns 6-months-old and he cries out, you can lead his hand to the hanging pacifiers and train him to self-medicate by grabbing a pacifier on his own.

My daughter slept in a hammock, so I’m not one to judge. I do recall occasionally hunting for the pacifier in darkness and finding it wedged under her. In those situations she was already crying, so lifting her up wasn’t a big deal.

It’s daunting for a small independent inventor to bring a product to market, and a bit scary when you realize $20,000 has gone into this little thing. The holder retails for $12.99 online and $10 in stores.

Is Pacifier Place an indispensable bit of crib gear? Do or did you have a similar or different experience with pacifiers in the crib? Should a baby be able to go get a pacifier on his own?

Comments

6 Responses to “Pacifier Place: Crib Storage Rack for Pacifiers”

1. Tanya says:

I just ordered 3 of these. I have been trying to find a way to keep a pacifier within reach of my 8 month old at night. I can’t wait to try this.

September 14th, 2007 at 7:43 am

2. Jessica G says:

OMG. This would have been SO fantastic with my firstborn. Drove us nuts how she would have a complete meltdown if she lost her “nuk-nuk” at night. We would put her to bed with 5 of them at a time! Our newest addition is more interested in her thumb — which fortunately is attached and does not need a $12.99 holder.

September 14th, 2007 at 8:12 am

3. Beckie says:

Well, as a mom who’s kids never used pacifiers, I can’t say I would buy it, but I think it’s a great invention, and I hope the inventor does well with it! I know lots of people who have kids who freak out if they lose their binkies at night, and this would be a life saver.

Or you could just not give them a binky in the first place ;)

September 14th, 2007 at 9:20 am

4. Jennifer says:

As someone who doesn’t use pacifiers, I wouldn’t use this. However, as a friends to MANY parents who do use pacifiers, I do think this is a lifesaver. I know that friends have tried several ways to make finding a pacifier in the middle of the night an easy task, and have failed miserably. This would definatly make it easier, and I’m sure it would be easy to get a child to find another pacifier to help him throught he night on his own.

September 14th, 2007 at 10:33 am

5. Lisa says:

Both my children (2 and 3 yrs) never caught on to binkies at least not for very long. My son stopped using one at about 4 or 5 months. My daughter uses her two fingers. They also co-slept as infants so they used me :) So i’m pretty certain that i’m not the best to comment on this but i did want to add that when my son was using one I found the clip on pacifier holders were a major necessity. They were clips (you could clip anywhere) that were attached to a ribbon that looped onto a binky at the end of that. If it popped out while i was driving I only had to reach behind, find his chin and grab for the end of the ribbon. I’m not sure about the security issue of using these in the crib, but the ribbons are too short to choke maybe?? I’m just glad this is just one more baby product I would never have to need.

September 14th, 2007 at 9:57 pm

6. Jessica says:

Wow…what a great invention. I would have needed 3 or 4 of them. One for each corner of the crib. When my boy was “on the bink” he would go to bed with one in his mouth one in each hand and a few scattered around the crib. Alot of times he would still wake up looking for one and becasue he was an active sleeper he would shuffle around the crib all night causing the stray binks to fall out.

September 19th, 2007 at 1:27 pm