Wee Go: A Shield for Glass Baby Bottles

Update: If you like the Wee Go bottles, check out Siliskin Protectors for glass baby bottles.

Photo of six WeeGo glass bottles with protective sleeves in six different bright colors.

The time for glass baby bottles has come, again.

When parents buy plastic bottles, they have to navigate a maze of options from reasonable to expensive to avoid the health risks of bisphenol-A in polycarbonate plastic.

I was attracted to the safety of glass—EvenFlo bottles—with our first baby. They are thick and breakage wasn’t a concern. Hey, our floor isn’t concrete. And glass freezes well (for moms going back-to-work) and they don’t get the dings and the wear ‘n’ tear that plastic does with extensive use.

But let’s be honest. Consumers are trained to think of glass as evil. Plastic replaced glass in most food product containers by the 1980s. Industry marketing trained us to think of plastic as safe and glass as a heavy, dangerous laceration hazard.

So I was happy and sad to hear about a new baby product… Wee Go by Babylife. It’s a glass bottle sold in a protective silicone sleeve. I’m sad because people survived for quite a while just fine with regular glass bottles. I’m happy because Wee Go may serve as a segue, reconnecting people with glass as a safe, easily reused or recycled material. Maybe parents will eventually think, “I love glass, but why do I need this sleeve?”

The company states: “The bottle and the sleeve can be boiled or put in the dishwasher together. The silicone nipple should be hand-washed and is also latex-free and non-toxic. The plastic ring, plug and cap contain no polycarbonates and are food grade, FDA approved and recyclable.”

And, the pattern of holes in the sleeve provides a gripping surface for toddlers.

Meanwhile, I Hate Snaps reports that the Wee Go bottles will begin shipping on October 19th with a retail price of $18 each.

BornFree sells glass bottles without such a sleeve for about $10 each, and EvenFlo glass bottles are about $2.50 each.

I’m leaning toward EvenFlo bottles for home use for sheer economics, but could see buying one or two Wee Go bottles for more rugged environments. And later, I’d relent and go for a small BPA-free plastic sippy cup, and then glass pimento drinking glasses and Kleen Kanteens.

What do you think? Are your eyes still glazed from the sticker shock?

Comments

9 Responses to “Wee Go: A Shield for Glass Baby Bottles”

1. noelle moreno says:

I am super happy people are buying glass bottles and the info is out there : When my first was born : we had no clue.
    I know years ago people used glass bottles no probem : but I must say : as the own of chulamama : seems like 6 months + love to throw things : Bottles : Sippys : Toys : and it could be messy or dangerous ; we sell the wee goo and I see a ton of customers kids use them : The sleeve really does make a good grip so they can start feeding themselves earlier anf my 2 year old has checked many of bottles on the cement floor : and they are fine : I think there amazing !
    If anyone wants to purchase you can do so at http://www.chulamama.com and use ‘thingamababy’ and recieve 10% off your order : Thanks for all your thoughts…

February 21st, 2008 at 10:31 am

2. cassie says:

I purchased 3 of these bottles to test them out and I was not impressed. I really like the look of these bottles but I like the size of the evenflo bottle better. I also wonder how would you replace a lost top since it they are so much different.

February 24th, 2008 at 5:28 am

3. Misi says:

$18 for 1 bottle is insane.

April 20th, 2008 at 8:10 pm

4. LEIGHA STONE says:

ONLY COMPLAINT ABOUT THESE BOTTLES…THE NIPPLE COLLAPSES WHEN MY DAUGHTER SUCKS, REAL INCONVENIENT WHEN SHE IS TRYING TO FALL ASLEEP!!! YES ITS A WATER BOTTLE NOT MILK!

May 8th, 2008 at 9:30 am

5. mallory says:

I have two of these bottles. I like that 1: the neck threading works with the Dr. Brown’s bottle collar, nipple and venting system and 2: they are cute. I really dislike the price, and won’t be buying any more as a result.

May 11th, 2008 at 2:53 pm

6. Stephan says:

“Born Free” ignores customers who complain about their defective glass bottle products…

I’ve bought a dozen of their bottles and the text and lines have completely faded in the dishwasher. Since I have 12 it took about three months since we don’t have to constantly wash the same bottle. I also have a couple of their plastic bottles and those do not fade. Mind you they explicitly state the bottles are dishwasher proof.

In other respect the bottles perform mostly ok but sometimes the vent system seems to be clogged. If you dry the silicone part before putting the bottle together you usually will not encounter this issue though.

What I find troubling about this company is that their customer service for their webstore is very bad: they just ignore you. I’ve emailed them directly and via their site about the fading text and lines and only after repeated attempts I got one reply stating that they would get in touch but that it was very busy time for them. One month later still no reply, let alone a resolution of the issue.

Apparently they’re busy due to the controversy about plastic bottles that contain BPA. Fair enough but a successful company should *never* too busy when customers complain about defective products, there is simply no excuse.

So be warned, this company might look nice and friendly but in the end when there are issues with their goods and you try to get things solved you’ll just be ignored. I guess the company is not mature enough to take customer service and after sales seriously.

Ironically on their contact webpage their tag-line is:
    “Try us out. You will not be disappointed.”

Well I did and I am completely disappointed. I would think replying on emails, especially when your customers have legitimate complaints is the bare minimum you should do. Clearly they have no problem offending honest people who spend on their products.

Maybe when buying their stuff in a brick-and-mortar store you can at least address issues with the store but when buying online you are basically facing an anonymous non-responsive company.

I’ve bought goods with them worth about 500$ (I thought I was saving money on transport by buying everything in one go). I buy a lot of stuff online but I think twice next time when faced with an infant overseas company (I live in Europe) without a sterling reputation.

June 10th, 2008 at 11:31 am

7. Pete says:

I landed here because I am looking for sleeves for glass bottles. My baby is starting daycare next month and the place requires that either she uses plastic bottles (which we don’t have and don’t like) or that the glass bottles have a protective cover…

October 28th, 2008 at 6:45 pm

8. Jessica says:

We bought a WeeGo bottle with sleeve at nordstroms at least 6 months ago. It has held up great and we love it!

Let me clarify – we love the sleeve. The glass bottle itself seems cheap and my son doesn’t care for the nipple on it, but, all in all, it works.

Now for the good stuff! The sleeve is awesome. It fits our evenflo glass bottles better than it fits the bottle it comes with. It is much easier to take the sleeve off and put them back on the evenflo bottles because the evenflo bottles are a little smaller around (circumference). We just slide the sleeve around the new bottle everytime our son eats, and we rarely use the bottle the sleeve comes with.

I will buying these as gifts for up coming showers – they are great!

November 3rd, 2008 at 6:57 am

9. Stacia says:

I have yet to try the glass bottles, but this post and comment section helped greatly with my decisions!

January 25th, 2009 at 6:28 pm