How Do You Clean Your Child’s Face?

Alternate title: Momspit: the Universal No-Rinse Cleanser for Hands and Face

Momspit is a “portable, foaming no-rinse cleanser designed for use when you don’t have soap, water or a sink handy.” It’s sold in 2 and 7 ounce bottles, apparently comes out like mousse and contains a moisturizer.

The Big Idea is that Momspit is a favorable alternative to using “gross” mom saliva. I don’t know what is in real mother spit, but Momspit contains:

Aqua (you know, water), Polysorbate 20, Dimethicone Copolyol, Propolene Glycol Chlorhexidine Digluconate, and Benzalkonium Chloride. Scented versions also contain fragrance.

Index fingers and saliva have been used since forever to quickly clean messy kid faces, and to turn book pages. Now face cleaning costs $9 for 2 ounces of solution that can leave your kid smelling life fig and green tea, or lemon and white tea. An unscented version is also available.

Me? I’ll keep using my all-natural dad spit. I would bottle it myself and sell it on eBay, but that is probably prohibited.

When a spit polish won’t suffice, we pack Wet Ones moist wipes which come in pocket-size individual packets and travel packs for the glove compartment. Some are antibacterial, others not. Some have moisturizers, others not.

I would love a wipe moistened with only water. A box of facial tissues and a bottle of water in the car help in a pinch, but not while on-the-go.

My question for you, gentle reader, is: which of these methods do you use for cleaning hands and face while away from home? Or do you have a different method?

Comments

8 Responses to “How Do You Clean Your Child’s Face?”

1. Suzi B says:

Doesn’t the whole world use those pop-up wipes? My mother used them on me. I use them on my kid.

September 19th, 2007 at 8:56 am

2. Rachel says:

Ah Yes. Dad Spit. I remember it well. This was the standard when I was growing up and I will be continuing the tradition. If only I had rabies…then I could get the same nifty foaming action.

September 19th, 2007 at 11:52 am

3. molly says:

On the go, I use spit or Costco’s Kirkland Wipes (which I put thru the wash and reuse with soap n’ water at home). They don’t have alcohol in them.

I keep a bottle of Target’s version of Purell on hand if we visit a public washroom changing table and the kiddo’s been touching everything. Otherwise, I’m not fond of that stuff.

September 19th, 2007 at 12:55 pm

4. SarraJK says:

We use the Costco wipes , too. And I will admit to occasionally using real mom spit.

I would love to have water only wipes. Someone should market them. They sell dry wipes, but they’re much more expensive than the kind with all the chemicals. That doesn’t seem right to me.

September 19th, 2007 at 1:00 pm

5. Lindsay says:

Molly you can wash wipes?

I just keep a pack of pampers clean and go wipes in the car. They are multi talented and even come in handy when the little one uses the potty chair in the back of the SUV.

September 19th, 2007 at 1:25 pm

6. Jennifer says:

I use wipes mostly, whichever I have on hand. If I don’t have that, for hands, I just poor a little water over scrubbing hands. In an extreme situation, I have been known to use the extra t-shirt I have packed and use it like a wash cloth.

September 19th, 2007 at 6:48 pm

7. Christina says:

We like the grubby face look. Gives her character.

September 20th, 2007 at 5:47 am

8. molly says:

The Kirkland / Costco wipes are cotton fabric — they hold up well through half a dozen launderings. I reuse them as wipes or as diaper liners…

September 26th, 2007 at 2:04 pm