Weigh in on the Quick Change Crib

Photo of the Change Crib with its door open and its mattress partially removed.

Quick Change Crib by Innovative Crib Designs solves the age-old problem of difficult-to-change crib mattresses.

The Big Idea behind the crib is a door on its end that allows you to slide the mattress out to change its sheet. Everything else stays – crib toys attached to the rails, baby mobile, sound player, crib bumper and so on. And, of course, you don’t have to bend down into the crib to wrestle the mattress out.

My daughter didn’t sleep in a crib, so I’d like you to weigh in with your perspective. Is this a great invention, or is traditional mattress changing not a big deal?

The company’s web site features an explanatory video that plays more like an infomercial, complete with a mother who seems incapable of extracting her traditional mattress from her traditional crib. It may be a great product, but they have a lot to learn about persuasion.

The Quick Change Crib averages a retail price of $590 in Google Product results. Considering what you paid for your own crib, is the price difference worth it to you? If price was taken out of the equation, would you be excited about a crib with a slide-out mattress?

Comments

19 Responses to “Weigh in on the Quick Change Crib”

1. Jet'set says:

If money didn’t matter… (& that’s not the universe we live in) I would’ve loved a crib like this! Fact is we spent hundreds of dollars on a crib that miraclebaby hung out in but -about- never slept in! I also like the possibilities of getting out of crib by himself during playtime(this is probably specifically recommended against by the manufacuturer, right?). As is we’ve already converted the crib to its daybed form- just so at 15mo he’ll use the crib at all. He climbs up- hangs out with stuffed friends- climbs down. Notice there is no mention of sleep associated with ‘his bed’.

August 27th, 2007 at 1:11 pm

2. Sandra says:

I saw this before and thought it was a great idea, especially when I was wrestling with the bumper and toys and retying everything… however, I’m not sure the price justifies the convenience.

August 27th, 2007 at 1:23 pm

3. Rachel says:

Maybe it’s just me, but changing the sheets isn’t that big of deal. My son leaks through his diaper most nights. We’re changing the sheets all the time (and trying to figure out how to stop him from leaking!) and I don’t think it’s that hard. I don’t pull out the mattress, I don’t untie the bumpers, I just pull off the old sheet and slide the new one on with the mattress right where it is. I would never spend the extra money for that. It looks like more work than I do now!!!

August 27th, 2007 at 1:31 pm

4. Jeremiah says:

That video is priceless. I mean, gee, who hasn’t tried to take their kids’ mattress out of the crib and been driven to thoughts of suicide? It’s just universal. Sounds like a promising print campaign: “Stop wanting to kill yourself!”

We do have to take the crib mattress out to change the sheet. Otherwise I’m pretty sure I couldn’t get the new one on – the sheets seem to fit our daughter’s foam mattress pretty tightly, and I usually sort of buckle it one way, get the corners on, then bow it back the other way to get it fitted. Yeah, it’s a pain, but getting the mattress out of the crib is not the hard part. Then again, we never used crib bumpers.

I find it interesting that the product assumes that you have a nice open space to the left of your crib. Wheels seem to be the key design feature missing from this transmogrified product.

I can see the competing product’s video now… “Grrr, dragging this #*$! crib 90 degrees every time I want to change the sheets makes me want to kill myself!”

Now that I look at it again, though, that trap door would make the crib a pretty rockin’ toddler bed if your kid could open and close it themselves.

August 27th, 2007 at 2:45 pm

5. Amanda says:

It would have been useless for us. We had a mobile, but no bumper or anything else in the crib. Honestly, I think I’ve changed the sheets 4 times in BabyBoy’s 10 months with us. Now, he slept in a co-sleeper the first 4 months, and then only part-time in the crib after that, but the sheets just don’t get that dirty (we are fortunate not to have a reflux baby or one prone to diaper leaks).

Besides, the difficult part of the sheet changing is getting the damn sheet on the mattress, not removing the mattress.

August 27th, 2007 at 2:59 pm

6. adrienne says:

Like Jeremiah, I don’t like the fact that this crib requires a second, crib-sized clearing to change the mattress.

Honestly, I think inserting the mattress is as inconvenient as lifting them out.

They are made in China to lower production costs (see the inventor’s explanation at their web site: http://www.innovativecribdesigns.com/story.htm). There are plenty of all-wood manufacturers in the US (like Childcraft in Seymour, Indiana).

And they trust the US government to safety test it for them (or so it seems from their own text). That’s not reassuring in light of recent developments.

August 27th, 2007 at 3:05 pm

7. thordora says:

It’s a neat idea, and would have been handy for us, having kids who blew out diapers a lot. But I’d never pay extra for it.

August 27th, 2007 at 4:33 pm

8. Meg says:

If I were going to pay that much for a crib, it’s have to be more designer in look and aesthetics. Personally, changing the sheets isn’t all that bothersome to me; I’ve gotten this routine where I lift the mattress just so to allow for easy sheet application….that combined with buying a nice, but very lightweight, crib mattress, makes the whole endeavor much easier, in my opinion, than making our own queen bed.

August 27th, 2007 at 5:21 pm

9. Jessica G says:

The space issue in removing the mattress is pretty funny. I want to invent a mattress crane like one of those toy grabbing gizmos! Attach it to the wall like a mobile – lift directly up, pull on the sheet … lower and release. A claw, if you will. Yeah. That won’t cause any nightmares.

August 27th, 2007 at 6:05 pm

10. Jennifer says:

I would never pay extra for a feature like this, if it happened to be part of the feature, maybe. I don’t think it’s saving that much time. I’m sure that the bumper would slip down when the matresses slides making another wrestling move to pull up the bumper as you’re sliding it in. Half the time, I’m washing the bumper at the same time as the sheet because it gets just as dirty, so that part of the sales doesn’t sway me.

August 28th, 2007 at 8:12 am

11. Kaely says:

Well Baby Bear never slept in his crib (my parent’s insisted we “needed” it), so changing the sheets wasn’t really an issue for us. If it was, I think this crib from the UK would probably be a better choice. http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B000IYQ0XO

Though I guess you’d either have to do without bumpers or alter them to only fit 3 sides?

August 28th, 2007 at 8:14 am

12. Homestead says:

Oh I can see the 3-year-old playing “herd the cattle” with the 13-month-old already…. into the chute… slam the door…. into the chute…. slam the door…. that swinging door just looks like a trip to the ER to me…

And the price…but I’m the parent that got all the trim installed in my living room/kitchen AND a crib for $50 and a pepperoni pizza….. and the firstborn was MacGuyvering his way out of it at 17 months… so it wasn’t even worth that much money.

August 28th, 2007 at 1:42 pm

13. lisa says:

I don’t think I’m the right demographic to judge this crib since I have a $50 craigslist crib. Also, I only consider changing the sheets to be a minor hassle.

What would be nice is if the FRONT could swing open somehow. That would require more engineering to make the crib sturdy and safe, but it would solve the space problem, and also allow for easier transfer of child into crib. I would be willing to pay a little bit more for that feature.

August 28th, 2007 at 9:59 pm

14. JJ says:

I have a foam mattress that has to be completely removed to change fitted sheets, but we solved this problem pretty effectively with a few Ultimate Crib Sheets for 1/10th the cost of this thing.

In addition to having to have a clearance space for pulling out the mattress, you also have to be careful that whatever the mess is on the sheet doesn’t scrape against the bumper on the way out the door.

August 29th, 2007 at 5:36 pm

15. Jenn says:

We use The Ultimate Crib Sheet by Basic Comfort, which was purchased at Babies ‘R Us for about $18. It’s a quick change sheet with straps located at all four corners and in the middle part of the sheet that snap onto the crib bars. The sheet has a waterproof pad on the bottom, eliminating the need for a mattress pad or a crib sheet. We use a fitted crib sheet on the bottom of The Ultimate Crib Sheet purely for decorative purposes, that way the pretty girly flowers show on the outside of the crib and the plain white of the snap on sheet only shows on the very top of the bed.

This sheet has been so useful for so many reasons….our youngest bug has gotten sick and thrown up many times in the middle of the night and we used to have to completely take everything apart, starting with untying the bumper, lifting out the foam mattress and removing the fitted sheet only to then put everything back together, not fun at 2 a.m. With The Ultimate Crib Sheet, all you have to do is unsnap a few straps and it’s off, no need to mess with the bumper and because we have a fitted sheet on underneath, no need to remake the bed either, although if you wanted to, you could just simply snap on a new sheet.

This is going to come in very handy when our 3.5 year-old daughter is finely sleeping without pull-ups on. I’m sure there will be a lot of accidents and the remaking of the bed in the middle of the night will be very simple with just a few snaps.

August 29th, 2007 at 8:26 pm

16. MaryAnne Amato says:

Hi, I’m Mary Anne Amato, CEO of Innovative Crib Designs. I am very interested in reading your comments and appreciate the feedback (even if it isn’t all positive). We really are trying to make Moms’ lives easier and it is only with listening to moms that we can do that. This crib was born out of something that I personally couldn’t stand to do and I did have a lot of trouble with it.
    I hope that you guys would allow me to address some of the misconceptions that have been posted. It is hard to do that without appearing to sound defensive, but I’m going to focus on the facts and nothing else. Here goes:
    1. the crib does not require space of another whole length of a crib to remove the mattress. It requires about 3 feet. And the crib comes with locking castors so you can easily roll it around.
    2. we don’t rely on the US government to test our cribs…we meet the standards set by the US government for crib safety. The recent recalls we have all been so uspet about (eg, by Fisher Price, etc.) were because the company in question had not met the US standards, not because the US standards were not safe. We have a thrid party test our cribs quarterly for safety and for lead.
    3. The latches on the door are spatially separated and have to be disengaged at the same time in order for the door to open. This dual-action safety feature complies with the more stringent Canadian safety standards for cribs. Same with our drop side — it requires the caregiver to complete 2 separate actions in order to operate. This is to prevent little ones from being able to oeprate the moving parts.

Thank you again for allowing me to explain the facts. I continue to look forward to reading your thoughts. If you have any questions, please ask. I will be happy to respond the best I can. You can post here or you can feel free to send to my personal e-mail address. It is MAmato@InnovativeCribDesigns.com.

September 12th, 2007 at 9:28 am

17. Wen says:

I love this crib! Too bad my little one is 24 months old. I would have paid the money to have this feature. Removing all the items from the crib and retying that bumper pad 2-3 times a week is well worth the extra money. Also reading MaryAnn’s post stating that it was on castors is another positive. The crib can be placed anywhere, rolled out to remove the matress and rolled back while the washing is being done. A simple roll out again to replace everything and your done! I would MUCH rather roll a crib out twice than tie that bumper up AGAIN! Kudos to everyone involved with this crib for helping make a parents life a bit easier!

September 22nd, 2007 at 5:27 am

18. Sophie's mom says:

I use the quick zip sheets, you just zip the top part on and off, it has saved me a ton of time and effort, I love them!

September 23rd, 2007 at 7:34 am

19. carrie says:

I had a babee tenda crib with my first – but I am buying this one for my sister’s baby. it is the same idea, but less money.
    i believe that since our babies will spend half their first year in a crib – then it should be the best for them and us. This one is.

February 4th, 2009 at 12:05 pm