How did you Meet your Child’s Progenitor?

I am asking how you met the mother, father or otherwise co-parent of your kid(s) because of a curious thing that happened to me yesterday.

A friend who lives six hours from me, and whom I’ve known from kindergarten through college, called me up. My wife answered the phone and described him as being "hyper-excited."

"Captain Mitch is on the radio!" he said. A radio station in Sacramento he meant, and that I should listen via the station’s web site. I did.

Captain Mitch hosted a locally-produced children’s TV show in the 1970s and early ’80s on KTXL, a UHF channel in Sacramento, Calif.

The Captain was in his mid-50s then, and known by his white beard, skipper’s cap and unbounded enthusiasm for introducing Looney Tunes cartoons every day after school.

A screen shot from the Atari 2600 Bowling game featuring a blocky stick figure throwing a dot at dot bowling pins.

I fondly remember his Atari 2600 bowling challenge. The TV station broadcast the screen of a live Atari’s Bowling game. One lucky kid each day played one frame of pins over the phone, pressing his push-button phone to throw the ball as the stick figure bowler moved up and down the lane. If he scored a strike or a spare, he won a prize.

I could never play because we didn’t own a high-tech phone.

Hey, come to think of it, did Captain Mitch modify an Atari 2600 game to work with phone tones, or did he just press the joystick button and fool us kids?

In any case, Captain Mitch’s show was eventually canned in favor of automated programming. But yesterday, 84-year-old Captain Mitch was interviewed on a Sacramento radio station to much fanfare.

My friend called because he knew I met my future wife by way of the Captain. Way back when, in a dorm room full of students who were far-removed from Sacramento culture, I made a passing remark about the Captain. My future wife perked up and shouted, "Captain Mitch!" in recognition. And the rest is history.

So, assuming you are still romantically involved with the other parent of your child or children, would you care to share how the two of you first met?

Comments

19 Responses to “How did you Meet your Child’s Progenitor?”

1. thordora says:

My husband and I met as pen pals through metal maniacs. We used to tape trade.

Must be some kind of fate. I lost the letter I first wrote him, found it months later and mailed it on a whim.

August 31st, 2007 at 6:55 am

2. Bob says:

My wife and I met on a ski trip through our college ministry.. the next day after I broke off my engagement to a girl I’d been with 3 years.
    Wierd thing was, we found out later, that we knew the same people and had been in some of the same places, but never met.. I guess the timing wasn’t right until that particular day :)
    We’re expecting our first child, a little boy named Rush, on Oct 20.
    Can’t wait!!

August 31st, 2007 at 7:14 am

3. Patti says:

Well, not to sound much like a politician (any of em), but that depends on how you define “met”.

In the mid 1990s I worked as a lifeguard for a public pools system in Maryland. Once a summer all the lifeguards, cashiers and other public-interfacing employees got together for an inservice. The lifeguards went over rescue skills and everyone got reminders and strategies for how to deal with the public with courtesy and sensitivity, blah blah blah. This particular year both my husband and I were lifeguards and at the inservice together, part of the contingents of two different pools. As far as I know, I had no interaction with him nor he with me. Besides, he would have been a teenager while I a worldy 20-ish year old. Completely different worlds, you know.

A few years later and we’re now in late 1999. Hubby and I both start work at a software company in DC. We work in different divisions so there’s no direct contact, although I was at least aware of him. As he was one of the office’s handful of 20-year-old wunder-kind, I knew him more as a curiosity than as a person, and I’m pretty sure he wasn’t aware of me at all. After a couple of months at work our office held a company retreat at a beach one weekend and we were both there. After the obligatory State of the Company meeting I got food and headed to a balcony. According to him, the wind hit my hair and my skirt when I stepped out and his ears perked up. And that was pretty much it.

August 31st, 2007 at 7:19 am

4. Brandon says:

We met in high school chemistry class – my wife always likes to say something real sappy like “we met in science class… there was a certain chemistry from the very start”.

August 31st, 2007 at 8:53 am

5. Paul says:

I would not say I was “Hyper-Excited” when I called, maybe just “Uber-Excited.” I always talk fast, regardless of the issue.

Anyhow, I met my wife through a mutual friend who I had a class with (in a classroom not far from the dorm room where you met your own bride). We were, of course, not paying attention to the professor and instead discussing other issues. I mentioned that I had just purchased a new CD. She said that a person she knew had also just bought the same CD. Fortunately for me, this someone was a very pretty, bright, and funny girl who was introduced to me at a local Campus Crusade Bible Study. From that point on, we have been inseperable, 16 years next month! Thanks for the opportunity to share! BTW, any chance you would share sometime your Nutter Butter home decorating tips? :)

August 31st, 2007 at 2:09 pm

6. Rachel says:

My future husband was the tax-man. I met him when my parents had him over to the house to do their taxes. It was my 21st birthday. April 15th. Having just started a small business and being the procrastinators that they are, they had to get an accountant to help them with their return. Enter handsome, 28 year-old, accountant to organize their taxes and … oh celebrate my birthday. Every year since then he has continued to do my parents taxes…on my birthday…right before the deadline.

August 31st, 2007 at 2:11 pm

7. kelli says:

We met in The One, The Only, Leleand Stanford Junior (pause) University Marching Band.

August 31st, 2007 at 3:36 pm

8. Megret says:

At the risk of sounding might cliche and awfully goody-two-shoes, I will admit that my husband and I really did meet in the doorway of our Sunday School classroom.

Didn’t date until almost 7 years later, though, once we got into college. Got married 7 days after our college graduation.

August 31st, 2007 at 4:48 pm

9. Angela says:

We met when I started working at the movie theatre where he worked when I was in college.

I thought he was really wonderful and would volunteer to go out to change the marquee with him Thursday nights.

But we finally got together when I won a Sega Genesis with the “Sonic the Hedgehog” game and invited him over to play. :)

I totally laid a trap for him, and 14 years later he’s still all mine. Bwahahaha!

August 31st, 2007 at 6:45 pm

To clarify Paul’s comment, if you pry apart a Nutter Butter cookie and stick the peanut butter side onto a wall, it will stay there the whole school year. Buy a few packages of the cookies and you can make art.

Wonderful stories people are posting, by the way.

August 31st, 2007 at 6:59 pm

11. Chief Family Officer says:

We were attending different law schools but worked at the same firm between second and third year. After about two weeks, I found myself feeling really sad when I thought about not seeing him again once the summer ended. Turns out I didn’t need to worry about that at all!

August 31st, 2007 at 7:17 pm

12. GeekMan says:

I met my wife when my friends and I crashed her and her roommates’ New Years Eve party at their apartment. It’s a long story that I’ve been banned from retelling because it embarrasses my wife too much, but if you want to read some of it (at least the “clean” version) you can read it here (http://themightygeek.com/?p=145).

August 31st, 2007 at 10:37 pm

13. Kristen says:

I met my husband on a blind date set up by a mutual friend during our freshman year of college. The next day my date passed myself and our mutual friend in the cafeteria but unfortunately he didn’t recognize me from the night before (seriously, and all we had done the night before was take a carriage ride through the city and afterwards sip coffee in a hotel lobby.) Fortunately our mutual friend decided that we needed a “do-over” and made it her business to get us back together. To further complicate matters my date then decided to send me a letter via the campus mail system…the letter never arrived. Finally about a week or two later we went on our first “real” date. The rest is history and we celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary this past June.

September 1st, 2007 at 5:13 pm

14. Christina says:

We met when our group of guy friends brought him along on an after high school graduation camping trip. They had graduated from a different high school a year earlier, but we were all friends from a local bbs (a chat room before AOL was popular). One of my closest friends and I were immediately interested in this new guy, but I was going off to the Big Apple to go to college so I encouraged (putting it mildly here) their getting together. They dated for about eight months, but broke up before I got back from my first year at college.
    We saw each other at a party where he flirted with me profusely. We then started hanging out, but I hadn’t told any of my friends yet. He apparently told one of the guys though, because his friend called one of my friends looking for him because we were together. It was all history from there, been together ever since. By the way, the friend who he had dated was the Maid of Honor at our wedding. ;)

September 1st, 2007 at 6:08 pm

15. STL Mom says:

HE claims that we first met at a party at his apartment, but I was quiet and aloof. I have no memory of this party, and if I was drunk enough to forget the party, there is no way I would have been quiet or aloof.
    The REAL story is that we met at the campus radio station. He was a manager, I was a DJ.
    Sadly, people who meet us now that we are old and boring can’t decide which story is more unbelievable – that we went to parties or that we worked in radio!

September 2nd, 2007 at 7:59 am

16. Jessica G says:

We met through a mutual friend – in the breezeway of the Earl Memorial Union of the University of Oregon. He was whistling showtunes and had great teeth. I thought, of course, that he would not be interested in anyone of the female persuasion. Mutual friend had to assure me (x12) that he was indeed available and interested. I kidnapped him for our first date, drove him 2 hours away and introduced him to my mom. Three months later he started shopping for a ring. We were married 1 year and 2 months after first meeting. Ten years later, we have 2 children a mortgage and a minivan!

September 2nd, 2007 at 2:54 pm

17. Bev says:

I met my husband the same place your mother met your father…and probably around the same time.

September 2nd, 2007 at 6:26 pm

18. Rachel says:

I met my future husband in geography class our freshman year of highschool. We didn’t date until after college but were best friends the entire time.

September 3rd, 2007 at 4:11 pm

19. Kit says:

My friends talked me into going to an anime convention even though I dislike anime. It was 11pm or so the first night and everyone was huddled over copies of the scedule deciding what they were going to do the next day when a knock came at the door. I got up and a large, boisterous man entered our 13th-floor hotel room with a tired bellhop and three big luggage carts full of milk crates, duffles and cardboard boxes. When I thought everyone’s attention was elsewhere with this large man shouting hellos and hugging all of his old friends, I slipped the bellboy a $20 tip for his trouble. The large man saw this and, turning to me he said “I don’t know you.”
    and I said “I don’t know you either.”
    And that’s how I met my husband.

December 24th, 2007 at 1:37 pm