Review: Thumbs Up for the Do-It-Yourself Conception Kit by Conceivex

Wait a minute. How could someone write a hands-on review of the Conception Kit by Conceivex? Oh, that’s right, my wife and I used one.

Photo of a pregnancy stick with a digital readout displaying the word pregnant.

This testing stick is store bought for the big wow impact of seeing the word “pregnant” on a digital readout. Are you wow’d? Please say yes.

That’s right, we’re pregnant! Oh, and no one in my family is receiving formal notification. This is it, baby.

Backstory:

We have a 3-year-old daughter and have been trying to get pregnant again for seven months. We began in January, foolishly thinking we would get pregnant right away because that’s what happened our first time around. It would have meant a 3.5-year gap between the baby and our first daughter—a large gap in our minds, but not untenable.

Months passed without success, and a few weeks before my daughter’s third birthday we felt like our time window was closing. So I requested a review sample of the home-based do-it-yourself Conception Kit by Conceivex that I had blogged about a few months earlier. The company agreed, and we got busy.

Packaging:

The first thing you notice upon opening the kit is the cohesive branding of the boxes. There are 16 boxes in all, with each component delegated its own small box, each box branded with the same photo of a cute sleeping baby. It’s complete overkill, but helps convey the importance of the task at hand. The whole thing exudes a certain pride in ownership.

Three numbered images of boxes in the Conception Kit. The following numbered caption explains each box.

1. The main box for the Conception Kit.

2. Three boxes containing your standalone kits for the next three months.

3. Your monthly box kit consists of four smaller boxes containing your Ovulation Predictors, Semen Collector, Conception Cap and pregnancy test.

Overview:

The kit comes with everything you need to determine ovulation, collect semen and lock away sperm inside the cervix for a six to eight hour meet-and-greet with the egg. You receive three complete sets of supplies to try this once a month. We were successful on our second try.

Step 1: RTFM! Read the Fertility Manual (PDF). These aren’t bicycle assembly instructions to be ignored on Christmas Eve. The Conceivex instructions are easier, but hey, don’t skip a step.

Step 2: Use the kit’s conception wheel and ovulation journal to determine when Mom’s egg is likely to drop, primed and ready for fertilization.

Step 3: Mom uses a classic pee test, the kit’s Ovulation Predictor sticks, to determine when her body is experiencing the Luteinizing Hormone increase (or “LH surge”) which indicates that the egg has been released. You proceed to the next step no sooner than 24 and no later than 48 hours after the stick detects the surge.

The kit contains 8 Ovulation Predictors per attempt (per month), to be used once per day in your predicted timeframe. The eight sticks give you plenty of overlap in case your tracking is off.

These sticks are essentially what you can buy at a drug store, though every test we’ve tried has a different recommendation on whether to perform the test upon waking up, a few hours after waking or a long time after waking. Weird.

Photo of an unused Ovulation Predictor with its blue cap removed.

This is an unused Ovulation Predictor. Remove the cap, wet the stick for 10 seconds, wait 5 seconds, replace the cap and read the results in as little as 40 seconds.

The Pregnancy Predictor sticks you use after missing your period look the same, except they have purple caps.

Step 4: Dad dons a Non-latex Semen Collector, which to you and me looks like a non-latex condom. That’s right, pregnancy with condoms. Ain’t technology grand?

Step 5: Mom and Dad get busy as per the normal laws of our physical universe. Sorry, I didn’t pay a photographer to capture this part of the review.

An Sperm-Friendly Intimate Moisturizer packet is also available for easing this step in the process should you feel the need.

Step 6: Dad carefully empties the primordial baby goo from the condom into a surgical-grade silicone cup called a Conception Cap. The cap is a little bit bigger than the size of a man’s thumb.

Dad may wear a cooking apron and chemistry lab goggles if it makes him feel more comfortable as he squeezes his baby mix into the cap.

Close-up photo of the Conception Cap.

Dad drains the contents of his Non-latex Semen Collector (condom) into the Conception Cap, then punts to Mom, who seals the cap around her cervix. This is the very cap that conceived our baby. (Too much information?)

Step 7: Mom takes the Conception Cap, pinches it, inserts it into her vagina, and seals it around the opening of her cervix.

This is the hardest part of the process, a feat to be accomplished while keeping the cap upright to avoid spillage. Moms may want to explore their innards beforehand to get better acquainted with their plumbing. My wife is a nurse, and she knows her way around the underside of a kitchen sink. The manual explains how to do everything, but if you’re uncertain, confer with your gynecologist.

Step 8: The cap is worn for 6 to 8 hours, then removed by grabbing a loop on the cap and pulling. Nothing stops you from trying again to get pregnant the same month via natural methods.

Step 9: On the first day after Mom misses her period, use an included pee test stick to verify pregnancy.

What we disliked:

The kit is designed for three uses, essentially once per month. We would like to see additional supplies provided for each attempt. Suppose the condom breaks, or Dad is clumsy transferring his contents to the Conception Cap in Step 6. Throw in an extra condom, more than one pregnancy test, and so on.

That’s why the photo at the top of this review is a non-Conceivex pregnancy test stick. The instruction manual told us to conduct the test on the day of my wife’s missed period, but let’s not ignore human nature. Unknown to me, my wife had already used the three tests (all three months worth) that come with the Conception Kit and proceeded to use store-bought tests. Hot tip: some Dollar Tree stores are selling two-per-box testing sticks for $1, and they work. Yeah, I was surprised too, but apparently my wife can sniff out a good deal on pregnancy tests.

What we liked:

The packaging is superb. The instructions are clear. The process is straightforward and simple. The kit worked. We’re pregnant. Need I say more?

There is a lot of information from the company to sift through, and I’ve greatly simplified the steps for this review, but when you boil the process down to its basics, it really is simple.

The Conception Kit costs $300, which I’m guessing it a lot less expensive than three fertility treatments in a lab. Conceivex states that in a clinical trial, 24 percent of infertility patients became pregnant. Wow, and if you have no medical problems and are just in a hurry like us, I bet the success rate is monumental.

Oh, you’d better believe I’m saving the Conception Cap for our baby keepsake box. Your kid might think that’s freaky-disgusting, but my kid is going to think it’s wicked-cool.

Comments

35 Responses to “Review: Thumbs Up for the Do-It-Yourself Conception Kit by Conceivex”

1. mod*mom says:

congratulations!!!

July 13th, 2007 at 1:18 am

2. bonnie says:

wOw! CONGRATULATIONS! WOO! So those nicknames may actually get a use. I just found out yesterday with the ept digital that I am pregnant with our first! It was a little shocking to come to your site and see that stick while I have one that looks the same sitting under my keyboard!

July 13th, 2007 at 3:05 am

3. Emmanuel Munda says:

we just found out today too. second on the way. congrats. and yes it was ept also.

July 13th, 2007 at 4:26 am

4. Cathy says:

Congratulations AJ!!!

July 13th, 2007 at 7:21 am

5. Monique says:

I’m so happy for you all! Congratulations! :-)

July 13th, 2007 at 7:59 am

6. nrp says:

Congratulations!

July 13th, 2007 at 8:54 am

7. sonya says:

so happy for you! your review was so clear & practical.
    appreciate your site.

July 13th, 2007 at 9:06 am

8. Beckie says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

That’s for the excellent and detailed review as well. Though DH and I are finished with the whole having more kids thing, I really could have used this last time ;) And I am sure there are many others like us out there!!

July 13th, 2007 at 9:32 am

9. Randa Clay says:

Congratulations!! Thanks for that thorough review of the conception kit- I didn’t even know there were things like that available!

July 13th, 2007 at 11:19 am

10. Bob says:

Congrats!! as a father to be (Oct 20) I really enjoy your blog, so please keep it up, and enjoy the second time around!!

July 13th, 2007 at 12:33 pm

11. Taste Like Crazy says:

Nothing says “pregnant” better than an EPT Digital.
    Congrats!

July 13th, 2007 at 1:40 pm

12. Mark says:

Congrats man. I’ll look forward to more tales of daddy stuff starting from the very beginning this time.

July 13th, 2007 at 4:48 pm

13. Karen F. says:

Congratulations! THat is going to be one lucky baby.

July 14th, 2007 at 9:49 am

14. thordora says:

Wow! Woot for you guys!

That seems like a LOT of work. Then again, we have the opposite issue with conception. :)

July 15th, 2007 at 3:39 pm

15. Kalli says:

Congratulations! Three cheers for the + test! I just found out last Sunday that I am pregnant, too. There is nothing better than seeing that stick scream “Pregnant!” at you at 5 am. Wishing you all the best :)

July 15th, 2007 at 8:15 pm

16. ME2 says:

Way to go. We read a blog about another couple who heard about the Conception Kit on TV-they’re preggo too – same way. Congrats.

July 16th, 2007 at 6:49 am

17. Kind of Crunchy Mama says:

Congrats!

You guys really love your baby gadgets ;-)

July 25th, 2007 at 4:23 am

18. Paul says:

So glad you guys are having another – the age gap is not a big deal at all – Ben and Katie are 6.5 years apart and love being together (sometimes) and playing with each other (usually). It’s really nice having an older child to help (be dragooned) with the small tasks around the house – Ben understood, for the most part, that Katie needed special attention as an infant, so he was able to better absorb the major change in our life. Thanks to Dr. Faddoul, the kind and gentle urologist at Sutter Roseville Medical Center, 3+ children is no longer an issue for us, so what we have is what works for us!

July 30th, 2007 at 8:32 am

19. FatherhoodOnline.com says:

Congratulations!

August 1st, 2007 at 8:17 am

20. denay says:

congrats!!! good to know the kit works….mine is on the way. Hope we have the same luck :)

October 17th, 2007 at 4:26 pm

21. Carla says:

Unfortunately, it didn’t work for us. I found the cap awkward and frustrating to use. I never knew if it was actually “in” or not. Its also too easy to spill the semen while trying to get it in.

I never used diaphragms or cervical caps so it would be nice if they included a few extra caps for practice since you cannot reuse them.

I found out later, though I am still in my late 20′s I have poor egg quality so though I ovulate, it doesn’t really matter.

Overall, I’m glad we didn’t waste our money on this one (we got it free). But they are right when they write its not for you if you have infertility. I had infertility in the past, but conceived (unfortunately lost the baby to stillbirth) so I though that my fertility problems were over.

If I’m ever in the physical condition to conceive again (i.e. fertility problems solved) I would probably order more than one kit just to get the extra cups and condoms.

November 18th, 2007 at 4:09 pm

22. Jodi says:

We’re having problems with the cap too. I have a tipped uterus, so it’s not easy to get the cap inside & all the way to the tip of my uterus. We got a sample cap to test, & I did fine, but when we went for the real thing, I spilled 1/2 the sperm. Needless to say, I was VERY upset, & we didn’t get pregnant.

We tried to test the cap again recently, this time with my husband trying to insert it, & he couldn’t do it. It left both of us frustrated. I was a little sore as well.

Our 2nd real try is coming up, & I’m nervous about getting the cap in place with the contents in tact. Does anyone have any suggestions here? I’m all ears…

Thanks!

November 27th, 2007 at 8:25 am

23. Carla says:

Jodi, I have a tipped uterus too. That probably explains why I had a lot of problems with it as well.

Good luck and let me/us know how your next try goes!

C

November 29th, 2007 at 12:39 pm

24. Jodi says:

Thanks Carla. This is going to be the month that it works….I just know it! I’ll update you in a few weeks :o)

November 30th, 2007 at 10:50 am

25. nicoletta says:

We are having a really hard time getting the cap up and in place. We tried again tonight but it spilled everywhere and I only got it half way up. Any suggestions?

December 27th, 2007 at 4:56 pm

It took us 7 months to get pregnant — total — without such tomfoolery. :) I recommend going over to http://www.ovusoft.com and reading her book. You can take temps,etc to find out when you are fertile.

January 3rd, 2008 at 8:21 pm

27. 18yrs says:

My husband and I have been trying for 18yrs. I’m 40 he’s 41 and has LS count, the dr. told us the only way we can concieve is by invtro. that went straight out the window we don’t have that kind of money and my insurance don’t cover it and my husband doen’t have insurance on his job. I want to try this procedure but it looks like it will be a while don’t have $300. But it is great to read about the success stories to let me know that their is hope. If you know of anyone that would be will to donate a kit I would greatly appreciate. my email firstladyaow@yahoo.com

January 11th, 2008 at 2:02 pm

28. Arif says:

Hi there. Very nice description of the process. I saw this product on RESOLVE.com and started doing my research and that’s how I got here. Very interesting concept: put sperm and eggs in one room, close the door and no one comes out until there is a baby!

We have a 3.5 year old baby girl and have been trying for another for 2 years. We travel a lot so it’s been on and off. We finally tried IUI but it’s not working for us. We will be doing IVF overseas in 2 months (cost is $2K compared to $15K US with better success rate – it is still cheaper even with travel cost) so we’ll give this kit a try.

BTW, if anyone reads this, you can use the discount code RESOLVE at checkout to get $25 off the $300. Thanks again and enjoy changing diapers… again.

March 31st, 2008 at 10:36 pm

29. lisa says:

ime having a problem with the cap this is our second month using the cap and i still cant get it in and when it is ime not sure that its the right way at all were still not pregnant

May 14th, 2008 at 6:07 am

30. marcia l rhule says:

well my husband and i been trying for 5 years, with two miscarriages and my ob/gyn gave us this dvd to look at and it seems interesting, which we think we’ll try, because i’m very depressed of not getting pregnant. help i need a sponser.

June 3rd, 2008 at 9:13 pm

31. Nicole says:

thanks for the info. I chart and also keep track of cervix position and my midwife showed me the sample kit she had at the office. Funny- the first thing I said is “Wow, it’s a lot of packaging” I also felt there should be additional condoms and caps. I need to look into trying a sample one.
    I would think if you broke the condom you could wait a bit and “do your manly thing” in a glass cup and transfer to the cap that way. But no xtra caps is a problem. imo. I also wondered this- if you do this at the 24hr mark and dont ovulate for 48hrs, it is still possible to miss O’ing, but I suppose it’s increasing your chances of having sperm live.

I wonder if I higher percentage of girls vrs boys is connected with the kit.

Im definitely very interested in this. We have been TTC for 5 months, charting for 4. and once my irregular bleeding is resolved I’ll be giving this a try.

Why do you have to have a script for it is my question….

July 26th, 2008 at 3:15 pm

32. Alli says:

Thanks for the great write up. I am getting married in Sept. I am 36 and my soon to be husband is 35 we feel the pressure to make a baby. Im excited to use this product. I will keep you informed.

August 22nd, 2008 at 9:53 am

33. brandi says:

if u go to conceptionkit.com u can request they send u extra cups and condoms without having to buy a whole new kit.

September 16th, 2008 at 7:57 am

34. Leather says:

The Conception Kit is also available through http://www.moondragon.org for purchase.

October 2nd, 2008 at 10:03 am

35. Kimberley says:

Congratulations! I’m the Mom of the cute sleeping baby on the box. He’s almost 4 years old now!

October 8th, 2008 at 11:55 am