How Best to Manage Baby Washcloths after Mealtime

Baby FreshFace Drying Caddy by Kiddopotamus is a miniature plastic drying and sanitizing rack for wash cloths. It retails for $5 to $7 and comes with two terrycloth washcloths.

Step 1. Wipe gobs of pureed food off your baby’s face and hands with a rag.

Step 2: Rinse and drape the rag over the caddy.

Step 3: Stick the caddy in the microwave and cook away bacteria hiding in any residual food bits and saliva.

Step 4: Pay special attention to any safety warnings in the product instructions pertaining to overcooking the cloths.

Does this sound like a sensible product? I laughed when I saw it.

Thinking back now, we used baby wash cloths at the dinner table, but didn’t reuse them before washing. The soiled rags piled up on the kitchen counter before eventually getting tossed in the baby laundry.

It’s the sitting-around-on-the-kitchen-counter thing that bothers me though. How do you, or did you, handle your mealtime mess? Paper napkins? Lawn hose pulled in from the backyard? Dinner served in the bath tub?

Comments

8 Responses to “How Best to Manage Baby Washcloths after Mealtime”

1. gorgonzola mama says:

That’s why we have baths as our nighttime routine. When dinner concludes, we forklift our baby to the tub.

April 19th, 2007 at 8:20 am

2. Randa Clay says:

Damp paper towels work fine for the most part, except when we’re having spaghetti. Major mess. Have to get out the washcloth for that one!

April 19th, 2007 at 8:45 am

3. Elizabeth says:

We used (and still do) baby wipes to wash her hands and face. Once she’s wiped down we just pitch the wipe. Works like a charm.

April 19th, 2007 at 9:56 am

4. Robin says:

We use cloth napkins for everyone at our house. The clean ones are stored neatly rolled up in decorative bowl on the table, then tossed in a small plastic “laundry basket” in our kitchen where all of our napkins, tea towels, dust rags, dish towels, etc. go (We don’t use paper towels). When we do a load of laundry we toss the napkins, etc. in with our light-colored clothes or bath towels.

April 19th, 2007 at 10:37 am

5. Jon says:

This really seems like a waste…we were like you and are doing the same now with #2…we use the tiny washclothes…stick them by the sink, when the pile is too high they get moved to the laundry area to be cleaned on Sunday….who RE-uses washclothes after cleaning up that nasty stuff….withOUT washing them?!!?

- Jon
    - Daddy Detective
    - http://www.daddydetective.com

April 19th, 2007 at 11:31 am

6. Carol says:

That’s why bath time follows dinnertime :) I never wasted my time on washcloths at the dinner table.

April 21st, 2007 at 9:32 pm

7. Anna says:

This is a daily problem for me. We do the “immediately into the bath” thing at night, of course, but what about the really messy lunch with the almost three-year-old? And the really messy every meal with the 10-month-old?

I just can’t stand those yucky washcloths sitting around. I like the idea of a kitchen laundry basket tucked away, maybe under the table. Maybe LIKING the idea is too strong a word, but it might solve the problem.

I feel so guilty about the acres of paper toweling we use, and wish I had a better washcloth system.

April 25th, 2007 at 6:07 am

8. Katie says:

I do a load of laundry first thing every morning. When it’s done washing, I stick it right in the dryer (the folding and putting away is where I stall out). Anyway, my washing machine is always empty right after breakfast. Throughout the day, I toss our meal-time washcloths into the washing machine after I’ve rinsed them out in the kitchen sink. In the morning, I load whatever laundry I need to do on top of the wash cloths and ouila – no gross, bacteria-laden baby wash cloths constantly hanging over the kitchen faucet.

January 1st, 2008 at 10:31 am