Punching Bag for Babies: Bop & Wobble Lion

Bop and Wobble Lion by Infantino is a 25" tall, 18" wide inflatable lion intended for babies 6- to 12-months-old.

Photo of a baby sitting next to a Bop & Wobble Lion.

As you might guess, its sole function is to take the abuse of babies who will grab, push, pull, drag and bear hug it.

Officially, the toy develops dexterity and hand-eye coordination. In reality, babies think it’s a riot to knock it over and have it come right back up, thanks to its weighted bottom. There is a lot of holding it down and watching it whoosh vertical again. Impossible!

I haven’t used the Bop & Wobble Lion, but I did buy a considerably shorter (and since discontinued) Executive Bozo Mini Bop Bag for my daughter when she was 9-months-old. The 18" Bozo the Clown punching bag was intended for office desktops, but my Little Miss loved wrestling with her little companion.

One caution: don’t inflate too much, or all the jostling may sprout a leak. The lion is sold at Amazon and various Froogle retailers.

Photo of Little Miss hugging her Bozo Mini Bop Bag.
Photo of Little Miss pushing her Bozo Mini Bop Bag to the floor.
Photo of Little Miss with her hands in the air kneeling next to a Bozo Mini Bop Bag.

Incidentally, those are a Little Playzone with Electronic Sights and Sounds and foam play mats in those photos.

Comments

8 Responses to “Punching Bag for Babies: Bop & Wobble Lion”

1. Dani says:

I am so glad someone brought these back. I have been telling my son about playing with one that I had when I was younger (boy, I am sure starting to feel old!). Does anyone remember these from when we were kids. They were taller than these cute toddler sized versions. My brothers and I used to punch the heck out of ours and we had so much fun with them.

April 18th, 2007 at 9:30 am

2. Florabora says:

I distinctly recall my brother (he’s 9 years younger than I) bopping the crap out of one of these things in the mid 1980s. I think it was a bozo type clown thing, too. Methinks I need to get one for my little peanut soon. Thanks for reviewing this. I had forgotten all about it until now.

April 18th, 2007 at 12:47 pm

3. feathersmommy says:

I find this appalling! Encouraging violence in children is not something that any responsible parent should condone!!! Why not a Cuddle & Hug toy??? I am shocked that an item like this would be promoted on this site!!!!

April 18th, 2007 at 2:47 pm

4. judy says:

Feathersmommy, you surely are joking, right? Are you against pillow fights too?

April 18th, 2007 at 4:37 pm

“Punching bag” in the article title is my phrase. This type of product is more commonly titled a “bop bag.”

As I hope is evident in the photos of my daughter above, a toddler doesn’t sit and punch the toy. There is lots of hugging and falling on top of and chewing of Bozo’s pointed hair and lots of laughter. I don’t think my daughter conceptualized her playtime with Bozo as “hitting” or any form of violence. More than anything, fun is derived from getting the bop bag horizontal and then watching it flip vertical again. It was the first time my daughter saw an object right itself, acting in a way contrary to the laws of the universe.

April 18th, 2007 at 4:58 pm

6. Blogmama says:

Submitted this to The Baby Bug!

April 18th, 2007 at 9:40 pm

7. Anonymous says:

we used to have one too… I think it was a penguin or something, I distinctly remember a red bottom but the rest of it wasn’t red… we played with that thing forever…

it’s the same basic concept as weebles, only life-sized for munchkins

April 19th, 2007 at 9:50 pm

8. grandmother says:

I loved this toy as a kid, helped release tension in a way that did not hurt any one. Going to get one for my grandchild. Safe fun for any kid.

May 29th, 2008 at 6:42 am