Take Along Fire Station Playset

The Take Along Fire Station Playset by MotorMax Toy Factory is a Hotwheels-style city playset that folds into a compact carrying case. The product photos say it all. I’m cool! Buy me! Play with me now before your child is old enough to feel jealous.

Photo of the Take Along Fire Station Playset showing the playset folded into a fire truck and laid out to show the cityscape.

The case looks like a fire truck and its dimensions are 19″L x 6″W x 7″H. Open up the truck to find car tracks winding around a miniature city. Major components you attach to the landscape include a burning building, collapsing bridge, construction crane, car elevator and a launcher that shoots cars onto the track.

Officially, we’re not talking Hotwheels. There are five diecast “mini vehicles, and in the product photos they appear to be smaller than Hotwheels cars.

The company also makes a Take Along London Bus Playset.

As someone who blindly shopped for a birthday gift for a six-year-old this week, I wondered if the fire station playset would be appropriate. It is rated for ages 3-and-up. On the plus side, this toy looks really cool. On the downside, it is a permanent arrangement. When I was a kid, we played with flexible plastic strips of race track that we connected together and lay over couches and piles of books and other objects to watch our Hotwheels cars navigate bumps and jumps with the help of gravity. Does an all-in-one always-the-same playset contain the same play value? And at what age do kids grow tired of playing with cars?

The fire station is sold at Back to Basics Toys and Amazon.

[Link via Swissmiss via Chris Glass via Mighty Goods]

Comments

6 Responses to “Take Along Fire Station Playset”

1. Dan says:

I passed this along to a friend, good find.

March 16th, 2007 at 2:13 pm

2. Karen says:

Hi – This post inspired me to buy the london bus version off of ebay. There was a bit more assembly required than I anticipated, the bus comes with some buildings installed and then several small bags of additional buildings, statues, light fixtures, bridge parts, roadways, etc. along with several pages of stickers for detail. Also I was surprised that you can’t close up the bus without removing several of the buildings, roadways, etc. The cars are very, very small, much smaller than Matchbox scale.

We just entered escrow on a new house so after seeing how much work this bus required to get it up and running, I just put it all back in the box until a future date.

March 26th, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Karen, thanks for the first-hand feedback. If you’re so inclined, I’d love to see some photos of the London set. I couldn’t find any close-up photos online of either set to convey the types of issues you described.

March 28th, 2007 at 9:25 am

4. Ruth says:

I bought one for my son and he loves it. He is a bit young to assemble it himself though, so I have to do it for him. When he’s finished playing (or asleep) I pack it away in order to keep track of all the components. You do have to dissemble it to pack it away, but reassembly is quick and easy – and great fun for me too. The great advantage of this toy is the amount of ‘playing’ it provides versus the space it takes. We spend quite a bit of time travelling to friends and grandparents etc. I now need to pack only one toy – and it keeps him busier than all the others did. A word of wisdom or two. It’s not advisable to take it along when lots of kids are expected to be around – not if you plan to keep track of all the pieces.

I am struggling to find the London Bus version, but won’t hesitate to buy it as soon as I do. (Heard about the bus here by the way)

September 14th, 2007 at 12:38 am

5. Lisa says:

Does anyone know whether or not my son could use his Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars with this set?

November 25th, 2007 at 11:30 am

6. Sandra says:

Terrible toy! Don’t waste your money. The cars are not matchbox size, they are much much smaller, it takes a good hour to put together including the 60 some-odd stickers that you have to stick on yourself, the assembly instructions are terrible (no words, just pictures), and you have to take EVERYTHING you just built completely apart before you can close it up like in the picture.

To top it all off, when my husband tried to rebuild it (after closing it up then opening it up again) pieces started breaking. So basically, you should only put it together once, never close it up and good luck with the stickers – what a headache!

August 2nd, 2008 at 3:21 pm