Regis and Kelly Baby Contest – Discuss

Note: Click to follow the 2009 contest on our updated page.

See the winners and return here to discuss below.

Note: The page you are reading now is not the contest web site. Look below for a link to the official site. This page is offered only to spread word of the contest and let parents (unofficially) discuss their excitement about it.

Original Posting from January 9th:

It’s that time of year again. Live with Regis & Kelly is hosting its Beautiful Baby Contest. This year the show is teaming up with Parenting Magazine instead of last year’s Parents Magazine.

The stakes:

• One grand prize winner receives $5,000 and appears on the cover of Parenting Magazine.
  • Four runner-ups receive $1,000 each.

The details:

• Your child must be between 6 months and 4-years-old (48 months) as of January 9, 2007.
  • Your child must be a legal resident of the U.S., Canada or Washington, DC. Sorry, U.S. territories and the Province of Quebec are excluded. This is yet more proof that Regis hates Quebec.
  • The submitted photo must have been taken within the last month by a non-professional photographer. [There was griping among some Thingamababy armchair quarterbacks last year as to whether all of the semi-finalists had submitted amateur photos. I agree that some were exceptionally nice.]

Dates to remember:

• Feb. 5, 2007: Contest deadline. Submissions must be received by this date.
  • Week of Feb. 12, 2007: Potential semi-finalists will be contacted.
  • Week of Feb. 19, 2007: Ten semi-finalists will appear on the TV show (photos only) and compete in a public online poll. The resulting five finalists will (apparently) appear in-person on the show that same week and attend a photo shoot by Parenting Magazine.
  • See the official contest site to confirm all rules.

Vague travel rules:

Same as last year, Regis won’t commit up front to flying finalists to the live show taping in New York. The necessity of compensated travel seems to be a sticking point with Regis. I have to wonder who Regis is thinking about with this contest rule:

“As deemed necessary at the sole discretion of the Sponsor, LIVE will
provide transportation and accommodation for the five (5) finalists
asked to appear on the program. LIVE reserves the exclusive right to
determine the details and/or necessity of such compensated travel
arrangements.”

Ponder six degrees of Regis:

1. Babytalk Magazine and Good Morning America host their own baby contest.
  2. Babytalk is owned by The Parenting Group
  3. The Parenting Group owns Parenting Magazine
  4. Parenting Magazine teamed up with Live with Regis & Kelly for a separate baby contest detailed on this page.
  5. The Babytalk/GMA contest is open only to U.S. residents. The Parenting/Regis & Kelly contest is open to U.S. residents and all of Canada, except Quebec.
  6. This begs the question: why does Regis hate Quebec?

Official links:

See related:

Note: Click to follow the 2009 contest on our updated page.

Comments

50 Responses to “Regis and Kelly Baby Contest – Discuss”

1. phyllis shear says:

I would love to submit my daughter in this contest but she will be 6 months old January 14th? Can I still submit her picture? Above it reads that your child must be six months old as of January 9th. Is my daughter illegable?

January 10th, 2007 at 7:50 am

2. thordora says:

Regis doesn’t hate Quebec. EVERYONE hates Quebec, and this way they don’t have to translate everything into Fringlish.

January 10th, 2007 at 5:19 pm

3. kristi lee says:

I would really like to enter my baby in the baby contest, but she will be 6 months on january 18. Is my baby eligible for the contest? Thank you for your time.

January 13th, 2007 at 2:07 pm

4. Savannah-lynn Cockman says:

My daughter savannah is 18 months she loves books and bath time and omg she loves to dance

January 16th, 2007 at 1:50 pm

5. elaine schell says:

sorry I seant my grandson’s pic in and he is just 4 1/2 months old. I have a vision problem and misread the rules.

January 17th, 2007 at 11:52 am

6. CHAMMIE TIM says:

MY DAUGHTER BROOKE, WHO IS 17MONTHS IS THE MOST FRIENDLY PERSON. SHE IS HALF CAMBODIAN, SALVADORIAN AND WHITE. SHE LIKE TO SMILE A LOT AND LAUGH. EVERYWHERE WERE WE GO WE HAVE ALOT OF COMPLAIMENT FROM PEOPLES ALL OVER. YOU WILL LOVE HER CHUBBY CHEEKS, IF YOU SEE HER YOU WOULD LIKE TO PINCH THEM ALSO. I CAN KISS HER CHHEKS ALL NIGHT IF I COULD.PEOPLE SAY SHE LOOK LIKE SHIRLEY TEMPLE BABY. I BELIEVE SO.

January 19th, 2007 at 8:32 pm

7. Nevaeh Skye says:

Nevaeh Skye is an outgoing baby who just turned 9 months old yesterday January 21! She’s already crusin’ furniture and standing alone momentarily. This isn’t the pic I entered into the contest. bacause I just took it!! Otherwise I think I would have choosen this one. I love the entry too though. Well Regis and Kelly…. we love you guys and hope you love Nevy too!It would be sooo cool to win (:

January 20th, 2007 at 2:33 am

8. michele dyson says:

I just pulled up the picture of your daughter, mainly because MY daughters name is Nevaeh Skai…..we must both have fantastic taste ( I just hope it doesn’t become TOO popular) Anyways, I’ve been looking at pics that people have entered of their babies….and yours is that first that made me say ” Oh my gosh, she is BEAUTIFUL!” You should definately enter her! I want to send you a pic of my Nevaeh, but I don’t know how to attach it to this site!

January 21st, 2007 at 10:35 pm

9. Rachel says:

I am considering entering my daughter in the contest. I don’t know…here is her pic! It would be fun to win or even just be a finalist!

January 25th, 2007 at 5:56 am

10. Debbie says:

NOT EVERYBODY HATES QUEBEC AND I LIVE HERE AND ONLY SPEAK ENGLISH SO FOR THE INGORNENT A HOLE THAT THINKS THAT ITS THAT WAY BECOUSE YOU ARE NOT SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER

January 29th, 2007 at 8:10 am

Maybe it’s over the top for someone to say everyone hates Quebec, but you don’t do Quebecians any favors by calling that person an “a hole” and then incorrect spell the word “ignorant.” Why do baby contests bring out the worst in people?

January 29th, 2007 at 2:04 pm

12. Brianna says:

Hi there! I wanted to share a photo of my 21, almost 22, month old baby girl. Her name is Avery Breann. She is a mess…but, that’s what makes her so much fun! She won a Beautiful Baby contest for the State of IL back in April, and won 5th in the Nation. She has LOTS of personality to say the least! We’re entering her photo into the contest for the second year. No luck last year, but who knows! This is a professional headshot, so this isn’t our entry photo…but, it gives you an idea! Thanks & good luck to everyone!

January 29th, 2007 at 8:04 pm

13. leighanne says:

I reposted a picture of my son not realizing the first one was blurry, sorry for any inconvenience

January 30th, 2007 at 10:12 pm

14. Missy Sgro says:

Dear Regis & Kelly, I never would have imagined that I would be entering a contest like this, but I never imagined having such a beautiful and wonderful daughter. Brailee will be 3 on March 3rd and she already makes heads turn with her long natural curly locks, big eyes and great sense of humur. Of course to her daddy and I she’s about perfect, and win or lose, she’s #1 to us and no matter what we’re gonna have fun! Thank you so much
    Missy & Dion Sgro

January 31st, 2007 at 8:41 pm

15. Monica Campos says:

I am entering my daughter Seenah J’selle into the baby contest and would like to wish all of the other mothers and babies LOTS AND LOTS of LUCK!!! It doesn’t matter who wins, b/c in our eyes OUR babies are the most BEAUTIFUL!!!

January 31st, 2007 at 8:50 pm

16. K Purdy says:

Would anyone even notice if Quebecors left Canada??? I think not…hit the road! Come back when you can appreciate this country and what if offers! Western Canadians could care less about the French and their politics.

February 1st, 2007 at 12:51 pm

17. Denise Cappy says:

I was just watching your show today,2-1-07, and I have to say, that usually I like Kelly, but that girl has just become too much! Each and every time she goes away and gets a little tan, Kelly comes back and wears the most “summer-like” clothes on the show, in the middle of winter. Why?……., to try and show off the little color that she got while she was away? I just don’t get it. What is up with that girl? Regis is “ALWAYS” dressed very nicely and Kelly just always looks way too casual next to him. They are the BIGGEST “MISS-MATCHED” couple on television today. Why isn’t it written in Kelly’s contract that she has to dress up for that one hour that she is on t.v.?!????? Why can’t Kelly just dress nicely,each and every day,just for the time that she is on t.v., with Regis?!!!!!!!!? PLEASE take this into serious consideration. Your show would be much more enjoyable to watch, if both of the hosts were dressed accordingly EVERY day!

February 1st, 2007 at 1:53 pm

18. BreeAnn says:

I really wanted to enter my daughters picture into this contest, but every time I try to upload a photo onto their online form, it says it cannot because the picture must be in jpg format. The picture IS in that format so I have no idea what the problem is. Can anyone help?

February 1st, 2007 at 4:18 pm

19. Jessie-Leigh says:

I entered my son with a snapshot from our trip to Hawaii over Christmas.
    Tomorrow is a big day for us (2/2). It’s Chase’s 4th birthday! He was born 2/2/03, 2 months premature!! So every birthday is such an amazing day and reason to celebrate our little miracle baby!
    Good luck to everyone!

xoxo
    Jessie

February 1st, 2007 at 6:14 pm

20. Sharon Careri says:

I entered my son into the baby contest and he is 1 year old now, Would it be disqualified because it said they had to be about 6 months as of January 9th. I don’t understand that either.

February 3rd, 2007 at 6:23 pm

21. Lisa says:

Did you see the 100 finalists from the 2006 contest? Looks like they got tired of looking at pics??? Some are blurry and you can’t even see the faces clearly.

February 4th, 2007 at 5:56 am

22. Lisa says:

They really should have age divisions… it is impossible to compare a 6 month
    old beauty with a 4 year old–these are very different looks.

February 4th, 2007 at 5:59 am

23. Holly says:

All I know is that I found this site w/ the top 100 from last year…http://images.meredith.com/parents/pdf/100SuperCuteFinalists.pdf

February 4th, 2007 at 9:08 pm

24. Holly says:

Oh yeah- and here is the snapshot I submitted-I know, I clipped off some of his head :( I am constantly taking pics of Christian for his daddy b/c he is in Iraq right now. He’s already 10 1/2 months old and my husband won’t be back until he’s 14 months. :( He is 1/2 Korean from me and then his dad is German, Norwegian, Sweden- not sure of the exact ratios…

BTW- I looked at Nevaeh’s pic– that is BEAUTIFUL!!! :)

February 4th, 2007 at 9:23 pm

25. Angela says:

Well I sent in a pic of my daughter, just in time for the deadline. I hope its ok. It’s not a smiley pic like many of the others. In fact, she has a little tear in her eye and a bit of wetness under her nose that I didn’t notice until AFTER I sent it. But oh well – it’s fun to try anyway. Hopefully her bright blue eyes, red curly hair and big cheeks will tempt the judges ;-)

Good luck, all! Here’s the pic I sent in…

Angela :-)

February 5th, 2007 at 7:04 am

26. Lisa says:

Hi! I have the same question as BreeAnn,(Feb 1 at 1:53) we can’t get it to work, and time is running out! We tried in both formats, and the same thing keeps comming up! PLEASE HELP!
    Thanks!

February 5th, 2007 at 7:18 am

Does your image have a .JPG or .jpg file extension? Try renaming it either lowercase or uppercase. Maybe there’s some dumb naming system the web site is looking for. I don’t know.

February 5th, 2007 at 7:21 am

28. Lisa says:

Tried lower and upper, and still isn’t working. Any other ideas?
    Thanks!

February 5th, 2007 at 7:55 am

29. Angela says:

Lisa,

Is it 100k or less in size?

February 5th, 2007 at 8:19 am

That’s what it says on the online submission form.

# Format your digital photo as a .JPG or .GIF.
    # The size of your formatted photo file should be 100K or smaller.

If you’re under 100K but still close, and nothing seems to be working, I’d try reducing the size a little more.

February 5th, 2007 at 8:22 am

31. Lisa says:

Yes, it is! Thanks!

February 5th, 2007 at 8:23 am

32. Lisa says:

I have sized it down to 15.5KB, and still not working!

February 5th, 2007 at 8:27 am

Officially, I can’t help you. I haven’t entered the contest myself and I don’t know what the problem could be.

Unofficially, does the web site report an error to you? What does the web site say? What happens? Maybe someone else has encountered the same problem and gotten around it.

February 5th, 2007 at 8:30 am

34. Angela says:

Lisa,

If you want, post the picture here and I will see if I can format it for you (maybe that will help, maybe not). I could also try sending it for you, if you send me all of the details on the online form.

Angela

February 5th, 2007 at 8:33 am

35. Lisa says:

The error says please send your photo in jpg or gif format only. We tried both formats. How do you post photos here? I thought I would email the photo to my friend and have her try.

The lady above (BreeAnn) seemed to have the same problem.

Is there a phone # to Live’s web support, or an email?
    Thank you all a ton!

February 5th, 2007 at 8:43 am

36. Angela says:

Good plan – send it to your friend. To post here, you have to upload your photos to a photo site like Photobucket.

Good luck!

Angela

February 5th, 2007 at 8:45 am

37. Lisa says:

Ok, I just tried something stupid, and it worked the sight says it must be in JPG or GIF, which is what my attachment was, then the error thing said it must be in jpg or gif. So, I changed the end of my attachment to small jpg, and it said it went. I don’t know if it really worked, it say it did, but who know

February 5th, 2007 at 8:55 am

38. Brianna says:

To the lady who complained about Kelly’s wardrobe…usually on shows like that they do have a wardrobe department. Most of their clothing are donated by designers who want the free publicity. Since stores start carrying their spring & summer collections in winter it is the perfect chance to show everyone what they have to offer. It probably isn’t Kelly who picks her clothing…and even if she does, who cares? If she looked that bad, wouldn’t they say something??

February 5th, 2007 at 8:21 pm

39. Kathy says:

Did anyone check out the 100 finalists from last year’s beautiful baby contest?(Holly, above posted the site to go to). Some look like potential winners, but I find it really hard to believe some are in that group!!!! Out of hundreds of thousands of pictures— some really don’t seem like they belong in that spot.

February 7th, 2007 at 10:57 am

40. Mary says:

Yeah, I know what you mean… I wonder how they select these kids? You can’t even tell what they are looking for in a winner? Alot of the finalists don’t seem that great to me either.

February 7th, 2007 at 11:02 am

41. Mary says:

The winner from last year is a boy, but looks like a girl.?????????

February 7th, 2007 at 11:06 am

42. Lisa says:

When are they going to show pictures on the show? I really wonder what they are looking for too. Who does the first round of judging?

February 7th, 2007 at 12:41 pm

43. Mary says:

I think they show pics on the show the week of Feb. 19 (they show the top 10 pics early in the week and then eventually the top 5 will appear live on the show). The first round of judging is supposedly done by staff on REGIS and KELLY and PARENTING magazine.

February 7th, 2007 at 1:33 pm

44. Lisa says:

What about the babies that are not in the top 10? Don’t they show them through out the week? How do they go through so many pictures?

February 7th, 2007 at 1:47 pm

45. Nicole says:

I’m so excited, I sent my daughter Amber picture via mail, I hope they got it. Did anyone read the posts from last’s year contest. Awful, parents trashing other people babies!!! Just because their’s didn’t get picked. All children are beautiful in their own way.

February 7th, 2007 at 5:26 pm

46. Erin Boone says:

I’m excited to see all of the different entries this year. My son Liam is 11 months. This is the pic I submitted.

February 7th, 2007 at 6:30 pm

47. Lisa says:

Erin, You little guys eye color is so beautiful! I can’t wait to see them all too. I wonder how many entered last last and this year too?
    Nicole, I did read last years. Wow!

February 7th, 2007 at 8:24 pm

48. Mary says:

To Nicole: I don’t think people are “trashing” other people’s babies with their comments. They are just giving their opinions—Isn’t that what sites like this are all about anyway?— discussing your viewpoints, and not everyone always agrees. Besides, there are TONS of babies that people think are so beautiful when they are little, and then when they become adults, they are not attractive at all. Some babies don’t look their best in the early years, and then become
    gorgeous as adults.

February 8th, 2007 at 6:22 am

49. Lisa says:

Hi Guys,
    Are there any other web sights/chat rooms/ message boards about this contest?

February 8th, 2007 at 9:10 am

50. Natalie says:

I also entered my 2 children in the contest this year! I am excited ,but not to dependant on winning :( because so many will be entered.

I think all babies are beautiful and i would not want the job to deside the cutest! lol

I entered my son for 3 years now and daughter once this year. I think they are cute, but i am biased!

gl to all the babies entered! Can’t wait to see who makes it to the top!

February 8th, 2007 at 11:50 am