Babycook All-In-One Food Preparer by Beaba

Every once in a while a gadget comes along that almost makes you want to have another baby. Hey, I said almost.

In the transition to solid food, we fed our daughter a mix of jarred baby food and fresh homemade food. We had inherited a BabySteps Food Mill by KidCo which is a hand-cranked mixer used to blend and puree fruits and vegetables. We also received, as a gift, an electric food mixer much like the Munchkin Baby Food Chopper and KidCo Electric Food Mill.

Each product is a good solution for the do-it-yourselfer. We used the electric mill for its ease, but I often wondered why someone would spend $30 on a miniature blender instead of a more versatile general-purpose or hand blender.

Marketing photo of the green and white Babycook food preparer. A clear plastic container for food sits in the unit much like a coffee pot sits in a coffee maker. A simple dial on the unit switches between the heating and blending functions.That sentiment went out the door when I saw the Babycook by Beaba. It is a French-made blender, steamer, defroster and reheater all in one unit. The defrosting function is ideal if you prepare and freeze food in batches. The steaming function is good for when your toddler is eating whole foods. Steaming vegetables retains more vitamins than other cooking methods.

From reading the product manual, blending seems as easy as turning a knob until the food gets to be the correct consistency. Cooking, defrosting or reheating involve adding a measured amount of water to the unit and turning the same knob the opposite direction. When an activity light turns off, the food is ready.

The unit’s operation is so simple that I could imagine a baby who grew up with this cooker using it with supervision at 2-years-old, placing veggies into the steaming bowl and turning the knob.

I didn’t find a product review online, but numerous references on mumsnet.com forums are positive. There’s even an incident described by a mother who broke a piece of her blender, e-mailed the French manufacturer in English, and griped when there wasn’t an immediate response, only to discover a replacement part had already been shipped to her free of charge.

The Babycook retails for £65, or about $127, not including overseas shipping charges and probably a voltage converter to switch from the European to American electrical standard. One retailer, Mothercare.com, appears to ship to the U.S. for $45, although you should of course confirm before ordering.

Comments

28 Responses to “Babycook All-In-One Food Preparer by Beaba”

1. Pinkysumi says:

I have been interesting in Babycook products since my cousin who lives in England mentioned about it. I think it is a great product and I wish it sells in USA. I contacted with a branch company in Hongkong. my brother will fly there this week, so he will get one for me. it is a bit pricy buy it is worth to have one for saving time and energy.

April 26th, 2007 at 6:45 pm

2. Jennifer Cheung says:

I’ve been trying to find a way to get this Babycook in Canada, but with no luck.
    Where in Hong Kong can I get it? Please kindly advise. Many thanks!

June 24th, 2007 at 2:18 pm

3. Jennifer Cheung says:

The Beaba Babycook is now available on http://www.mothercare.com!! ( I just received an email from Mothercare saying that it is available now.)

Also, if in Hong Kong, you can email sales@groupccl.com or call (852) 2892 0131 to arrange for pickup or delivery.

Best of luck! … I am going to get mine now. ^_^

June 25th, 2007 at 5:42 am

4. Dana Grigsby says:

We bought one while on vacation in Switzerland on the enthusiastic recommendation of my cousin. Now that we’re home in the U.S. we’re having trouble finding a converter that can handle its high wattage (350 w). Can someone suggest a converter/supplier?

June 25th, 2007 at 2:42 pm

5. Bob says:

Call East-West International in Houston. We are currently living in Switzerland and are running most of our US appliances on converted power. We will do the same for our Swiss items when we return to the US.

July 15th, 2007 at 12:56 pm

6. pinkysumi says:

I got mine, but i have trouble with finding the converter.. anyone can give me suggestion.

Thanks

September 27th, 2007 at 9:19 pm

7. cng says:

I am living in Switzerland and can anyone tell me where/which shop I can buy a babycook machine as I am looking for one for so long. Thank you.

December 4th, 2007 at 4:09 am

8. Helen says:

I’m interested in this steamer/blender processor, but was wonder whether anyone could use this product in the US? Does anyone find the transformer to use in the US?
    Thanks

December 9th, 2007 at 7:06 am

9. Parv Bhandal says:

This company ships the beaba baby cook to the USA … have not used the site (came across it
    searching for reviews on the product) so not sure if they are reliable.

January 21st, 2008 at 9:15 am

10. Wendy says:

Hello All
    That s it! Now BABYCOOK is available in the US through WILLIAM SONOMA!

I have just bought it from their website and it is a US standard machine…much more saver.
    Have a nice
    day

March 17th, 2008 at 8:11 am

11. sylvie says:

Hi!

The babycook is now being sold at Williams Sonoma! it’s $139.95.

happy cooking!

March 22nd, 2008 at 6:07 am

12. Jen SHepard says:

I came across the Beaba babycook in the Williams Sonoma magazine and really want one, however its description says the bowl is made of polycarbonate plastic, isn’t this the same controversial plastic that baby bottles are made out of that studies have proven a chemical (BP-A) leaches out of especially when it is exposed to a higher temperatures?

April 5th, 2008 at 12:20 pm

13. rlove says:

I just got mine from UK, but i have trouble with finding the converter.. anyone can give me suggestion what and where to buy?

Thanks

April 7th, 2008 at 8:23 am

14. Tracy says:

I just got my new Williams-Sonoma catalog; they now sell it.

April 7th, 2008 at 1:08 pm

15. Mama says:

Worried about the BPA issue to. Wish they would address it in writing..

April 22nd, 2008 at 10:45 pm

16. Elizabeth says:

Yes – the bowl is made of polycarbonate and therefore has BPA. I spoke with manufacturer and they have no plans to switch to BPA-free plastic. Spread the word – this wonderful product is NOT SAFE for babies! Let’s get the word out and hopefully the manufacturer will replace the bowl.

April 25th, 2008 at 7:02 am

17. Jeanne says:

Williams-Sonoma now carries the Beaba Babycook.

May 5th, 2008 at 3:19 pm

18. Jen says:

I emailed them and this is what they said:

“We would first like to assure you that all Williams-Sonoma products are manufactured to the highest standards. Please know all of our items are tested and meet and/or exceed all state and federal requirements. We have verified that the Beaba Babycook (item #5279732) does not contain PVC and therefore will not leach bisphenol-a.”

May 5th, 2008 at 4:44 pm

19. Maggie says:

” We have verified that the Beaba Babycook (item #5279732) does not contain PVC and therefore will not leach bisphenol-a.”

WHT is that? PVC has Phthalates and NOT BPA –
    PVS is softer and more pliable. PVC is #3

What about the polycarbonate cooking bowl WS? Get with answering the question about Polycarbonate! Polycarbonate is strong and hard due to BPA

May 8th, 2008 at 7:12 pm

20. Jen says:

I emailed them back about the polycarbonate and have not heard anything from them.

May 9th, 2008 at 4:46 pm

21. carrie says:

What website could I use to purchase one of these if I reside in Canada?! William-Sonoma does not delivery to Canada unfortunately!!

May 12th, 2008 at 6:08 am

22. Lidia says:

I have BPA-free bottles and don’t use any plastics for my baby or myself. I am glad that some researched this product. I bought it yesterday and it is awesome! I am so sad to hear about the plastic. I may return it. Can anyone recommend something else to use to make baby food? I tried buying a food mill and a Cuisinart but neither do as good as a job as the Babycook.

May 16th, 2008 at 11:07 am

23. Lidia says:

Okay, I called WS and they said the basket is polysulfone and the bowl is polypropylene. I have read that polypropylene is safe. Here is something I read on the Ameda website: “The melting point of polypropylene is much higher compared to many other plastics: 320°F (160°C). This means that the hot water used when washing dishes will not cause polypropylene dishware to warp.” I wonder how hot the Babycook gets.

May 16th, 2008 at 11:20 am

24. carrie says:

Williams-Sonoma is being downright deceptive. They originally described the Beaba as having a polycarbonate bowl, then later removed that part of the description. I have emailed them and they give the intentionally confusing answer about PVC that other commentors have received.

When questioned, Beaba themselves have stated this:

“I give you as information, the main materials used in our products:

- Babycook: polypropylene PP and PSU (technical and specific raw material). There is no polycarbonate (PC) in the Baby Cook.

- Small and big food jar: Polycarbonate PC.”

So, unless there’s a way to use the Baby Cook without the jars, then there is exposure to polycarbonate, and therefore BPA. I have tried to get W-S to further clarify their reason for changing the description, they no longer answer my emails. I’m not sure what to do next, besides boycotting W-S (and their other store Pottery Barn), but somehow the word needs to get out that this product may not be safe for babies. Any ideas?

May 22nd, 2008 at 5:19 am

25. Sabrina Cheves says:

Now I’m questioning what the bowl that comes with my Cuisinart mini-food processor is made of. It sure seems hard enough to be polycarbonate. I guess it wouldn’t matter as much since I’m not heating it up like would happen in the BabyCook, but I do occasionally pour steaming hot microwaved vegetables in it for pureeing. I guess I should wait for it to cool. Does anyone know of a BPA free food pureeing device? The only thing I can think of is my glass jar blender, but it’s really lousy at pureeing and so inconvenient unless I’m pureeing a ton of things, and its manufacturer does not make a mini-blend type of jar for it.

May 22nd, 2008 at 11:23 am

26. May says:

Hi,
    I recently bought a babycook from WS but haven’t opened it up b/c of the BPA issue.. however, I came across this the other day.. has anyone read this?
    it claims that the babycook is BPA free..

October 5th, 2008 at 7:25 pm

27. Ileana says:

I have also found this item on http://www.giggle.com.

October 24th, 2008 at 10:48 am

28. Rebecca says:

You can puree small amounts of food in a pint size canning jar. It is glass and will not leach harmful chemicals. Osterizer also makes a small blending jar for their machines. It is great for pureeing.

March 26th, 2009 at 9:12 pm