Books are for Behavior Modification?

I hope I never need to use books to curb my daughter’s improper behavior. Her worst action so far has been throwing toys, perhaps 10 times in her 27-month existence. We tell her only balls are for throwing. We have her sit in her “time-out chair” for a minute, we take away the thrown toy for the rest of the day and we hug afterward. Problem solved. She’s a really good kid.

Cover of the book Germs are not for Sharing, depicting a child happily washing her hands.
So this is perhaps why I found the following books, in some measure, amusing. They are written by Elizabeth Verdick and illustrated by Marieka Heinlen.

Now, for a child who hits or bites, these books may be a good, non-punitive teaching tool. Most of the titles are available in regular and board book formats. The cover art and book titles can also be found on educational posters.

But, I wouldn’t be a hurtful, despicable, jackass of a husband sitting on his ass all day like a waste to society (see this reader’s comment) if I didn’t poke some fun.

Here are a few book ideas for my daughter:

• Blocks are Not for Throwing
  • Noses are Not for Picking
  • Tongues are Not for Sticking (Out)
  • Bugs are Not for Squishing
  • Doors are Not for Closing (Over and Over and Over Again)

So, what book does your baby or toddler really need?

See previous: Totline Motivational Posters

Comments

7 Responses to “Books are for Behavior Modification?”

1. Julie says:

How about “Daddies are Not for Dissing”?

September 6th, 2006 at 6:44 am

2. Asha says:

Keyboards are Not for Banging
    Slugs are Not for Kissing
    Bananas are Not for Squeezing

(Aside: So sorry you had to deal with those negative comments, AJ.)

September 6th, 2006 at 10:04 pm

3. Tom N. says:

That reminded me of Defective Yeti’s “Files Are Not For Sharing” spoof ( http://www.defectiveyeti.com/archives/001705.html ). Like you, he has less than total infatuation with the “X are not for Ying” books.

September 6th, 2006 at 10:04 pm

4. PK says:

This brings to mind a book my wife picked up in Germany. It is entitled “Nasebohren ist schön,” which translates to “Nosepicking is great.” A very interesting take on the subject (& a book we have not & probably will not read to our toddler).

September 7th, 2006 at 8:48 am

5. Derek S. says:

My son went through a short period where he was getting very aggressive, pushing and biting other kids at his school on a daily basis. It began when he was about 18 months old. We used the “teeth are not for biting” book and had great success. His aggressive behavior quickly ended, and to this day he still asks us to read him the book. In addition to that, when he sees other kids bite now, he runs over and says “teeth are not for biting”. I would recommend this book if your child is biting.

September 7th, 2006 at 9:54 am

6. Anonymous says:

Like adults will sometimes believe anything they see on the internet, some children will listen to things read from a book before they’ll listen to parents.

September 8th, 2006 at 7:50 pm

That reminds me of something I learned in my college days working for an Internet service provider. When we talked to prospective customers about a setup fee for service they would complain. And why shouldn’t they? We were charging them merely for the privilege of being our customer. However, when the ISP pricing plans and setup fee were placed on an in-office display, customers accepted the fees without question. Hey, it’s not the employee’s fault you’re being charged a bogus fee. That sign over there says there is a setup fee, and everyone must obey the sign. That’s the power of the written word, or in a toddler’s case, the power of drawings.

September 8th, 2006 at 8:18 pm