Zaky Infant Pillow: Dismembered Hands to Comfort Your Baby

Who wouldn’t want to be cuddled by Thing from The Addams Family? Goth families rejoice! It’s the Zaky Infant Pillow.

Marketing photo of a sleeping baby with fabric hands cradling the baby's head and waist. The hands are thickened with filler material and include forearms.Hey, wait a minute. Thing? For a baby? Thingamababy? Oh, never mind.

Once you get past its creepiness, the Zaky seems quite sensible. Designed for premature babies who are cared for without direct mother contact, the pillow simulates mom’s loving hands.

It also has mom’s body odor. According to the manufacturer’s instructions, to imprint your scent, you lay the severed arm around the back of your neck for two hours, or better yet, sleep with it next to your chest.

Yamile C. Jackson made the Zaky and founded her company Zakeez after her son Zachary was born weighing 1lb 15 oz., spending five months in the hospital.

She wanted to imitate the weight, size, touch, feel and smell of a mother’s hand and forearm to reassure babies and promote better sleep. The pillow is billed as having variety of hospital-friendly features, such as containing filling which doesn’t get warm and overheat in an incubator or warmer.

The Zakeez web site is quick to point out Zaky is useful for full-term healthy babies too, but they kind of lose me when pitching it for use with older children, adults and senior citizens. Everyone wants the severed arm of a loved one coaxing them to sleep. Who knew?

Zaky is sold at PregnancyStore.com. Don’t miss the photo gallery halfway down the page showing the many possible poses for Zaky.

Comments

10 Responses to “Zaky Infant Pillow: Dismembered Hands to Comfort Your Baby”

1. Rhea says:

Ooooooohh. That’s a bit creepy!

July 6th, 2006 at 11:16 am

2. thordora says:

um, yeah. I’m with Rhea on this one.

July 6th, 2006 at 12:56 pm

3. Mark says:

They’re creepy and they’re kooky, mysterious and spooky, they’re altogether hooky…

July 6th, 2006 at 1:37 pm

4. Paul says:

They are a little bit wierd but what a fantastic, amazing product! We got ours from http://www.peenyweeny.co.uk as we live in the UK and prices to ship from the US were high!

May 6th, 2007 at 2:24 am

5. Maria says:

I love the Zaky, we bought one for my niece that was a preemie and then loved it and bought one for my other healthy niece. Both love them! It’s such a great product. We order it to Spain from the US. We put our scent on it and then gave it to my nieces so that they can smell my scent and feel me near somehow. I totally recommend the Zakys!! I bought them in http://www.TheZaky.com, that is the official site. Their parents testimonials are awesome!

June 21st, 2007 at 6:14 pm

6. Carla says:

This is so neat. Yes, I agree a little spooky. I got a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. But when my grandson was born premature the nurses in the NICU put what looked little beany tubes on my grandsons stomach when he was on his back. And they put it on his back when he was on his stomach. He loved it.

August 28th, 2007 at 8:05 pm

7. lullaby says:

i love my beany baby.

September 16th, 2007 at 1:41 pm

8. tawni says:

I seriously jumped when that picture popped up! a liiiiittttllleee creepy!
    BUT: THAT is hysterical! What a hilarious gift for a baby shower, instead of the ordinary, every day “baby parking blocks” that everyone has!
    I can’t stop laughing (even though I’m probably going to have bad dreams now!)

August 26th, 2008 at 6:22 pm

9. tawni says:

wait..forgot to add:

Maybe they’ll come out with a NEW & IMPROVED model, that actually pats the baby’s butt!

August 26th, 2008 at 6:23 pm

10. Amy says:

For all of you moms that have NICU babies & really love you babies – unlike some of your comments – it works GREAT!!!
    It keep my babies temp up & helped comfort him in the incubator!!!
    Some of us NEEDED the extra help!!!!
    It is NOTTTTT a gag git5f & you are QUITE RUDE!!!! tawni