Kraft Pimento Spread: the Perfect Toddler Drinking Glass

At 25 months, my daughter has graduated to drinking from juice glasses. There is pride in her face when using a real glass just like Mom and Dad.

Granted, she only uses a glass at the dinner table. For all other applications we have plastic Playtex DrinkUp Cups in case of tipping accidents. Update in May 2008: We are still using the pimento glasses with my daughter, but for baby #2 we plan to alternate with Klean Kanteen sippy cups to completely avoid health issues associated with plastic.

Photo showing a 5 ounce jar of Kraft Pimento Spread next to an empty pimento jar filled with one third of a cup of orange juice. The juice comes close to filling two thirds of the jar.
We started this adventure with two juice glasses from the awesome four-piece Anchor Hocking Barnyard Animals set. I picked up half the set for a quarter at a garage sale. I wanted more, but Anchor Hocking has discontinued the line and I found only one web retailer still selling the glasses, for $20.

This frugal father checked several brick ‘n’ mortar retailers and googled for less expensive toddler-size juice glasses, but came up empty. No one even offered plain glasses the same size as the Anchor Hocking set (2.25 inch diameter and a 4.5 inch height).

After a couple hours of online research, my wife decided to mention that when she was a kid, her grandmother served juice in pimento jars. Hmmm.

Five ounce Kraft Pimento Spread jar:

• Perfect width for tiny hands to grasp (2.25 inch diameter).
  • Short, so it’s less likely to be tipped and dropped (3.5 inch height)
  • Thick, sturdy glass
  • No winding lid grooves. There is only a lip (visible in the photo) that the plastic lid slipped onto.
  • The jar stands straight like a normal drinking glass, without a tapered end
  • In a spill, we lose at most a third of a cup of milk (my typical fill amount as seen in the photo)

If any dentists are reading, rest assured we sparingly give our daughter juice. We’re heavy into milk and occasionally water, and brush two to three times a day.

Kraft Pimento Spread, and several other varieties of Kraft spread, can be found in the cookie or potato chip aisle of a grocery store. A jar cost me $2.69. I found several empty jars for 25 cents at a thrift shop. The shop probably thought it was selling canning jars.

Caper jars may also work; I found two small sizes in the peanut butter and jelly aisle.

Updates from May 2008:

Kraft Pimento Spread is now $3.50 a jar. Ahh yes, rising food costs.

A Thinga-reader e-mailed to report that Hormel Dried Beef jars are similar or identical to the Kraft jars. Look for them where Vienna sausages and sardines are sold, usually in the same aisle as beans (if your store classifies beans as “ethnic food”).

My daughter has used the Kraft jars for two years without breakage. They were a great investment and don’t leach chemicals like some plastic sippy cups do. Meanwhile, the Anchor Hocking Barnyard Animal glasses only lasted a month or two before being shattered.

See also: Hormel Dried Beef: the Perfect Big-Kid Drinking Glass

Comments

13 Responses to “Kraft Pimento Spread: the Perfect Toddler Drinking Glass”

1. mary says:

I CANT BELIEVE I NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS IDEAL. WE HAVE A TODDLER AND SHE HAS 3 BIG SISTERS SO SHE WANTS TO USE A GLASS.
    THE GLASSES WE BUY ARE SO THIN CAUSE YOU CANT FIND ANY WITH THICK GLASS. SO I THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND I AM GLAD I STUMBLED ON YOUR SITE. P.S. FOR THE PERSON WHO SAID YOU WERE CHEEP I DONT THANK SO!YOU CANT PUT A PRICE ON MY CHILDS SAFTY THIS IS THE SAFEST. YOU CANT EVEN PURCHACE A THICK SMALL GLASS THERE ALL PAPER THIN.SO THANKS AGAIN

January 2nd, 2007 at 9:55 pm

2. Kathleen says:

I really appreciate this information you have provided. I just read a recent article in the LA Times about the concerns about possible harmful chemicals leaching from plastic baby bottles….so, i got online to look into glass cups for my toddler. She loves drinking out of my glass bottle i use for water – thank you so much for taking the time to share what you have discovered!! I am going to the store today!

May 18th, 2007 at 9:35 am

3. nitasha says:

Re the cups for toddlers….something else to consider…we are from India …and we use stainless steel glasses for my 1 and 4 yr olds…they are unbreakable and safe. You can purchase them at any indian grocery store like ‘patel brothers’ if you live in a big city. or online search for ‘indian stianless steel dishes’. They are very cheap..b/e 1 to 2 dollars.

May 21st, 2007 at 12:28 pm

4. Elle says:

We use fruit preserve jars. We buy them in the smallest size and they sometimes have little cartoon characters on them. So its like getting a glass free since I bought it for the Jelly anyways.

September 19th, 2007 at 10:22 am

5. Dre says:

great idea! I DID happen to find perfect size glasses for the toddlers in our family – at IKEA. They were about 2 or 3 dollars for 6 thick glasses and VERY durable. None have broken yet and our “toddlers” aren’t even toddlers any more!!!

January 6th, 2008 at 2:46 pm

6. SK says:

Great idea indeed … which they sold that stuff in Canada! :-)

July 22nd, 2008 at 6:33 pm

7. Heather says:

Did you eat the pimento spread and was it good? I have never even heard of it. I am debating switching away from the tupperware-like cups my kids drink from and I appreciate your suggestion! I just ordered a Klean Kanteen for my son starting K and I hope I like the sports top because then I’ll buy a few more.

August 26th, 2008 at 6:39 pm

8. tawni says:

GREAT IDEA!! Thank you for the suggestion!!
    One question: Does anyone make a “slip cover” for the glasses? Kinda like a rubbery “can cozy” to keep the glasses from slipping out of my childrens’ hands? Hmmm, or a non slip glass cover that HAS HANDLES attached!!??

August 27th, 2008 at 5:48 am

9. Kathleen says:

I give my preschooler his beverages in a regular old Ball canning jar. The quilted pattern on the glass is handy for its grippy factor and the threads for the lid don’t seem to bother him at all. My mom had made some jellies and gave them to us, and so the jars were free to us — bonus! And as far as I can tell, the manufacturer for canning jars isn’t part of a big congolmerate like Kraft, which is heavily invested in tobacco.

January 12th, 2009 at 7:23 am

10. Jimmy Cracked Corn says:

My family has used these same jars as glasses for over 30 years. They never break!

February 27th, 2009 at 2:39 pm

11. Sarah says:

Tawni, you could try putting a few rubber bands around the base to make them non-slip

May 12th, 2009 at 1:49 pm

12. Angelique says:

Random addition, found these and remembered this thread.

tempered glass=awesome

December 18th, 2009 at 2:33 pm

13. Heather says:

Thank you for this!!! We have these exact jars but they were my mother-in-law’s 20-yr-old jelly jars. I looked and looked for more of them because they are so perfect for toddlers, but couldn’t find any more. MIL finally gave in and gave me hers, but I’m thrilled to find the jars are still being made. I’ve only looked in the jelly section, it never occurred to me to look at other spreads.

January 26th, 2010 at 8:47 pm