Friday, June 2nd, 2006
Top Ten Playmobil Oddities
Note: Playmobil has redesigned its web
site, fouling up all of the links on this page. Gah!.
Playmobil sells plastic figure play sets for every obtuse playtime fantasy. They are not based on pop culture sources such as movies and television. The poor Playmobil executives must devise original toy ideas on their own. Sometimes they fail.
Click the thumbnails for a pop-up enlarged view.
10) HAZMAT crew â€” Suck
up toxic sludge spilled from barrels with these figures dressed in full
protective gear. Farm play sets are so last century.
9) Children with Guinea Pigs â€” Here are two children with guinea pigs in an outdoor pen. How delightfully random.
8) Sanitation Worker â€” Yay! Let’s play sanitation worker! This man in a orange uniform is scooping fish bones into a recycle bin as a black cat dreams of choking on those bones. (Recycling bones?) Let’s play mixed up recycling technician. Yay!
6) Street Sweeper â€” Scrub gutters with this stylish green vehicle which is inexplicably sporting a recycling logo. Who recycles dirt and grime?
5) Native American Teepee â€” This authentic Indian teepee is fully adorned in red and white stripes and a blue field with white dots. How patriotic. We’ll just forget about that little matter of genocide a few years back.
4) Portable Bathroom with Crew â€” Wow. Two sweaty construction workers and a port-a-potty. I bet that plays well in the heartland.
3) Police Van â€” Your pretend pro-democracy protest wouldn’t be complete without a paddy wagon to cart away those anti-theocracy hippies.
2) Photo with Santa Claus
â€” Recreate the tears and fear of sitting on a strange bearded man’s lap
at the shopping mall. This toy set comes with a seated Santa, a
child, a Christmas tree with wrapped gifts, and a photographer
with a tripod. Alas, this toy was removed from Playmobil’s web site
this week! (The photo and link is from Collectobil.com, a Playmobil fan web
1) Safe Crackers â€” I want my daughter playing with two thieves who are breaking into a safe with a blow torch. Yep. Who the hell is in Playmobil’s focus groups?
Also see: Top 15 Playmobil Toys of Yesteryear