Toddler Travel Bed Roundup

I’ve been researching travel beds. At 2-years-old, Little Miss can climb out of a port-a-crib. And despite the name, port-a-cribs take up a lot of room in a car trunk.

Here are the beds I found. I excluded tent-like beds from my research because the needs for an indoor bed are quite different from an outdoor sleep-and-play tent.

Marketing photo of a Winnie the Pooh Toddler Ready Bed
1) Ready Bed Toddler by Spin Master — We bought this bed. It is an inflatable mattress which doesn’t look it. The whole thing is masked in a washable cloth cover with a built-in sleeping bag. The sleeping bag has no zipper, only an open edge which extends halfway down the bed — allowing for easy entry and exit.

The mattress has side bumpers to deter nighttime tumbles. Deflated, the whole thing rolls up and fits into a carry bag. A manual air pump is included. The bed is rated for 2-years and up.

Popular characters have been licensed for display on the sleeping bags, including Winnie the Pooh, Thomas the Train and Dora the
Explorer. That’s actually a minus in my book because I dislike excessive commercialization, but the damn thing was being sold cheap at Costco.

Footnote: Ready Bed is made by Spin Master, but is sold under the Marshmallow brand. It is not to be confused with ReadyBed.com, which is a UK-based distributor for the bed.

2) Update: The website for the following product appears to be gone. Leave a comment if you have further information. DayCare Sleeper by DreamShop for Kids — This roll-up bed has a built-in pillow and a blanket held in place with hook and loop fasteners. It sounds like those fasteners make Mom and Dad obsolete, no longer needed to check on their kid and re-tuck the blanket. There isn’t a listed age range for the bed, but it looks like it’s for 2 years and up.

3) Quick ‘n Easy Inflatable Travel Bed by Gentle Air — This is a straight forward inflatable mattress with raised edges to discourage a child rolling off in his sleep. An electric pump is included. Rated for 2 years and up. Disclaimer: The manufacturer calls its product the Child’s Portable Overnight Bed, but it is suspiciously similar to the Quick ‘n Easy Inflatable Travel Bed sold by Leaps and Bounds. I assume they are one and the same.

4) My Cot by Regalo — This is a true cot with a folding steel frame. It reminds me of an Army-style cot I used to sleep on at my grandparent’s house, except this one comes with a fitted sheet. Rated for 2 years and up.

5) Travel N Trundle by Small Fry Design — They might as well call this the Bed-in-a-Box. A four-sided heavy nylon shell acts as a rectangular wall around a 1″ mattress. The whole thing folds up for transport with a shoulder harness. The bed comes in infant and toddler (2 to 6-year-old) versions. It is also sold by One Step Ahead, who touts it as “exclusively ours.” I’m not sure what’s exclusive about it except for the One Step name being printed on the bed. Here is a list of retailers via Froogle.

Update: See my LL Bean Children’s Camp Bag review posted 2 years later, and my comments about inflatable travel beds.

Comments

34 Responses to “Toddler Travel Bed Roundup”

1. Kevin says:

My wife and I ended up buying 2 of these. We too couldn’t pass up the price.

June 8th, 2006 at 11:39 am

2. kristina says:

I am looking for the Toddler Ready Bed, but I can’t figure out how to order it directly from Spinmaster. Costco doesn’t carry it anymore, and the beds listed on the retailers link from Spinmaster are a little different (no side bumpers). Any ideas how to get this?

July 9th, 2006 at 1:19 pm

Kristina, Froogle.com turns up Toddler Ready Beds with bumpers at Target.com. Search for “toddler ready bed” to find them. They only have two girl-themed beds listed. You may have more options at a brick ‘n’ mortar Target store (Target.com states the beds are carried both online and offline).

The beds are not listed at ToysRUs.com, but the web site had some upheaval recently when the corporation severed its relationship with Amazon.com. Try calling a brick ‘n’ mortar Toys R Us to see if they are sold in the store.

July 9th, 2006 at 1:41 pm

4. Dr Harry Watters says:

Hi The inflareable childrens airbed by Gentleair is the original childs portable airbed. Gentleairs unique product comes with its own backpack and high quality electric pump for kids to take camping,overnights or just have a sleep over.This product is physician designed and approved made from the highest quality materials. Thanks for listing it.

July 28th, 2006 at 10:25 pm

5. Dr Harry Watters says:

The highest quality childrens portable airbed is designed and made by Gentleair.Physician approved,this product comes with its own backpack and highest quality rechargeable pump.Tested,approved,reviewed by parents. Contact http://www.gentleair.com for complete information.

July 28th, 2006 at 10:29 pm

6. frances says:

I was wondering if someone might know which kind of toddler/infant portable bed could be used for air travel. I need to do some international travle to asia this christmas. i have a 13 months baby and will be 15 month by december and since the entire trip is about a 24hour stretch, i need to find something that will allow my baby to rest during flight time.

Please help if you know any information.
    Frances

August 30th, 2006 at 11:03 pm

7. leah says:

Hi, I am interested in buying travel beds for my twin nephews….they come visit me a lot, sometimes for weeks at a time. I need a great bed that will grow with them. I am looking at the toddler ready bed and the gentle air inflatable bed. Any suggestions?

November 17th, 2006 at 8:29 am

8. harry says:

Many of these “foam” beds have no memory and wear out quite quickly. They unfortunately are not portable and are bulky to move. The Kids bed from Gentleair comes in a cool backpack for kids,is very portable and comes with an high quality electric pump. They have sold over 2000 and are sold on some of the better sites. Check out http://www.gentleair.com

January 3rd, 2007 at 8:17 am

9. Rick Huff says:

In researching this product on your review of the “Quick & Easy Travel Bed” by Gentle Air, which is not one in the same with the Leaps & Bounds product. This in NOT the name of the product. Gentle Air’s product is called the “Child’s Portable Air Bed”. This bed unlike the competition includes a newly designed air cooled pump that can inflate as well as deflate the bed and includes 3 attachments that can be used to inflate other inflatable items. The bed also comes with a sturdy backpack for storage and portability. This bed was the First Air Bed in the market prior to The Ready Bed by Spin Master, Leaps & Bounds,which is currently out of stock and the Aero Bed, which retails for a higher price!

January 3rd, 2007 at 9:46 am

10. Corrie Worth says:

The idea of a having a bed that is comfortable and portable for little ones is exactly what the Child’s Portable Air Bed from Gentle Air is! It is small enough to fit in a regular size backpack – which it comes with, and inflates in mere seconds. Little ones love it! I do believe research is the key to a good article! See for yourself at http://www.gentleair.com

January 3rd, 2007 at 12:01 pm

11. nicole says:

Please can someone tell me where to find the DayCare Sleeper by DreamShop for Kids…or something similar. This sounds like EXACTLY what I need for my baby when she moves to the toddler room at daycare.

February 7th, 2007 at 7:28 am

12. Krystin says:

I find it interesting that Dr. Watters is plugging his own product on this site. I don’t think this is the place to do such a thing. That’s just my opinion.

Anyway, my problem is that I have 21 month old twins who have just discovered how to escape from their cribs and play yards. Because I need to buy two (of everything), I’m looking for something suitable yet inexpensive. Sorry, Doc, but your bed is too much for our budget. I’ve read other reviews on the toddler ready beds like the one in the picture here, but the common complaint was that because the bed folds into a chair, the creases are not comfortable for kids to sleep on. I tried to find the DayCare Sleeper by DreamShop for Kids too. There were a couple of sites that said they were selling it for $49.99, but when I went to order it, there was no such product available. Maybe the company went out of business. When I went to DreamShop for Kids, the site no longer existed either. Too bad. Another concern I have with the inflatable beds is that my toddlers like to jump on their mattresses at home before they take their naps. I can’t see an air mattress holding up to that abuse. Also, the beds with the sides on them have been reviewed as a possible danger. I know of two toddlers who died of SIDS, so even if it’s rare, it still scares the heck out of me. Any advice?

February 17th, 2007 at 12:12 pm

13. Carly says:

We tried out the “My Cot” by Regalo. A great product for car trips, but it weighs close to 12 pounds and its bag doesn’t close completely to allow you to check it as luggage.

March 7th, 2007 at 12:10 pm

14. Rebecca says:

I have the ready bed toddler and children’s full size. They will pop when your kids jump on them too much. Which is why I am trying to find out how comfortable the ‘My Cot” by Regalo is.
    We are going to visit my family in Australia for 3 weeks with an almost 2 and a 3 yr old, who both need something to sleep on. I don’t want to deal with punctured beds and the constant noise when they rollover all the time.
    I was hoping I might be able to put one in each of our checked luggage.

March 9th, 2007 at 8:39 pm

15. noelle says:

I purchased a toddler ready bed from walmart not long ago in prep for our summer vacation and it was an immediate hit. My daughter (2) loves to lounge it in already. I have noticed it’s not holding air as long as it once did so will probably have to buy another before our actual trip. For the price and weight it’s a winner in my book.

April 13th, 2007 at 2:57 pm

16. Suzanne says:

Gentleair is rated for 3 years and up. I need a bed for a two-year-old boy. So… I guess it’s pr’y One Step Ahead for me!

July 9th, 2007 at 9:00 am

17. Sarah says:

thanks for all the info, i found a Thomas the Tank Engine toddler ready bed at target.com for about $35, and i also found a really cute Elmo one on amazon.com for about $40. we’re going to disneyland in october and i didn’t want to put my 2 1/2 year old son on a big hotel bed, so this will work perfect! i’ll use it for trips to grammy and grampy’s house too! thanks again!

July 10th, 2007 at 4:20 pm

18. Stacy says:

does anyone have any ideas on what type of travel bed that would work for my 1 year old son? he is a big boy, he is about 33″ long and 27 pounds. we’ve traveled quite a bit with him this summer so far and the pack and play we have for him has become too uncomfortable for him. any suggestions would be great. thanks!

July 12th, 2007 at 6:50 am

19. Donna says:

In response to Kristina from July 9, 2007. I found the Toddler Ready Bed in the Winnie the Pooh design with the bumper today at Toys R Us. ($18.98) They had bigger kid Ready Beds, no bumper, more like sleeping bags. ($ 24.99) I saw this same one advertized on Discovery Kids channel for $40 plus S&H.

Target has Thomas Toddler Ready bed on their website for $34.99 and probably in the stores.

When I went to the Leaps and Bounds website looking for the Gentle Air…they said it was no longer available. Hope this helps.

July 16th, 2007 at 6:32 pm

20. anna says:

well good luck to everyone looking for the thomas the train ready bed. my daughter saw it at wal-marts for 19.99 went to buy it and of course all sold out ask about if and when they might be getting more the price now is 27.98 which they couldn’t say if and when they were getting anymore everywhere else has been bad trying to find it found on e-bay for 39.00 or more target don’t have them called toys r us they don’t have them.so now i’m trying to find out who makes it and try to order straight from the site if anyone knows of who to contact or if you know what store to contact to get one for 30 or under please contact me. oneolwolf@hotmail.com

July 26th, 2007 at 8:02 am

21. ingrid says:

just a warning for restless sleepers… we’ve tried the ready beds and they are super noisy if you have a kid who tosses and turns – it sqeaked whenever our son shifted (which happens a lot)… i’m thinking of trying the gentle air mattress and wondered if anyone had any comments on how noisy these are???

August 23rd, 2007 at 10:51 pm

22. Adrienne says:

These beds are available at your local Target stores.

August 28th, 2007 at 12:55 pm

23. Ivie Sparaco says:

Just got the air mattress from Leaps & Bounds. It has 2 spots to inflate it that seem to do the same thing. The side rails are as thick as a regular air mattress, but the center part is only about 1 inch thick instead of the traditional 8″. I also cannot seem to get the air to stay in it, and I think it must have a leak. I will have to return it. I saw the Dr. Watters mattress in a local store, but it seemed old. Since we are leaving soon, I will have to get that.

October 17th, 2007 at 4:15 pm

24. Dana says:

Thank you for all the recommendations and all the great feedback on this site , it helps me so much with my decison on choosing something for my daughter

December 26th, 2007 at 11:12 am

25. Crystin says:

The inflatable beds seem like a nice choice for traveling, but my mom bougth several Aero beds some years ago, and they would always deflate in the middle of the night, making for very sore backs in the morning. I’m just curious is these beds hold up better or if we will have the same problem with them. Does anyone have one that they could share their experience? Thanks!

December 30th, 2007 at 8:34 pm

26. Fran says:

good question im curious about that too but i would think it wouldnt be as bad since theres no as much weight on it , but you never know .

January 9th, 2008 at 1:23 pm

27. lola says:

hello all, I’m looking for a portable travel bed that I can check into my luggage. I have an almost 2 year old that is on the small side (former preemie), but very active!! has anyone tried these? thanks!!

January 26th, 2008 at 7:22 am

28. Marcia McDonald says:

We have a Disney Princess Ready Bed that is leaking air. Too much jumping. Does any one know where to get a replacement mattress. We can’t find the leak to patch it. Have put it in water with no luck.

March 7th, 2008 at 5:15 am

29. veronica says:

I checked the targets in my areas and non of themhad them , either discontinued or sold out can you suggest another place ?

March 20th, 2008 at 11:30 am

30. Eliza says:

Hi, I have a similar problem that someone else here had..but there is no response to. So maybe Frances could tell me what she ended up doing…or anyone with a suggestion. I am going on an overseas flight with my 1year old. I would like to get something that i could put him down in and he could sleep. However it can’t be to big as there isn’t that much room in front of me ( i am in business class). I am a single parent so him sleeping on me for the whole flight is not an option for me or him! Please send any suggestions.
    thanks Eliza

May 8th, 2008 at 10:04 am

31. M says:

For the two that left comments about flight sleeping and anyone else that may need an answer regarding such. I have two solutions… I know that some airlines will rent these to you for a trip if you check ahead. There is even spots for them to fasten to bulkhead seats in coach and first class. So I would first check with the airline. The latter is that you can rent or purchase car seats that are made for infants that can’t sit during car trips. I’m just not sure whether all brands are FAA approved. I realize your comments were from last summer but hope I have been able to help someone else with simular questions.

June 18th, 2008 at 3:35 pm

32. Annette says:

I was wondering if anyone had a ready bed with bumpers that they are looking to sell.

July 5th, 2008 at 6:36 pm

33. April says:

I just bought a travel bed to take my 17 month old on a trip. I bought a bed called PeaPod Plus bed. I ordered it from Secure Baby at securebaby.com (also available at target.com). It is basically a small tent with zippered panels so I can zip her in at night and naptime. She loves playing in it and has slept in it pretty well! I was worried about her not wanting to sleep with something over her head, but she’s done well. When she gets older there is a sleeping bag/pad that is included, and it has a zippered pocket outside the tent part that keeps a small air mattress in it to keep her off the ground. It’s a great solution and it folds up small enough for me to pack in my suitcase. It sells for about $60-70 for the PeaPod Plus (ages 1-6 years). They also make a PeaPod for infants (0-1 1/2 years) that is about $50. This is a good travel bed for me since she’s still in a crib at home, I want her to be safe and be able to sleep in a similar space when we travel… I really want to get sleep too! (It hasn’t been too loud at night either, by the way, and my daughter moves a LOT in her sleep.)

July 13th, 2008 at 9:37 pm

34. Erin says:

i just wanted to let anyone stumbling upon this no that ready bed as pictured above has discontinued its line and is only available in the uk right now but i suspect only for a short time

March 4th, 2010 at 3:21 pm