Diaperbridge Portable Changing Station

Is this an East Coast thing?

Diaperbridge turns a restroom counter into a diaper changing station. Position this folding rigid platform over a sink with your baby lying on its padded topside in a four-point harness. A strap secures the platform to the faucet, and a panel blocks the faucet from your baby’s reach. The whole thing collapses to just 11″x12″x2″ for storage in a large diaper bag.

Marketing photo of a baby lying on the Diaperbridge on top of a sink. A dark blue platform with a yellow harness lies between the baby and the sink.Sound cool to you? Explain it to me. I don’t get it.

Here on the West Coast, my family has gone through three stages of public diaper changing.

1. Return to our car and lay a changing pad in the back of our station wagon or on the back seat.
  2. Sit in the car with a changing pad on our lap.
  3. Change wet diapers standing up.
  4. If stuck at a public event, say at a park, move to a low traffic area and change away.

Our automobile fetish may be due to the shear lack of public restrooms in our small town. Business owners haven’t retrofitted their restrooms to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If they have a public restroom, they can be sued, so the restrooms remain closed to the public. That’s the downside of having lots of small, independently owned stores in historic buildings.

I realize parents aren’t always conveniently near their car, but the whole changing-diapers-in-restrooms thing seems like one of two things:

1. Mindset. You are most comfortable changing diapers in a restroom.
  2. Culture. You often travel by foot, bike, taxi, train or bus.

It’s interesting that 7 of 9 brick ‘n’ mortar retailers listed on Diaperbridge’s web site are located on the East Coast. I picture the East Coast, although clogged with cars, as having a greater participation rate in alternate transportation. The other two retailers are located in Texas and southern California where changing a baby in a restroom is preferable to a searing automobile.

So tell me, when in public, where do you change diapers? If you use restrooms, what do you do when there isn’t a changing station available?

Comments

9 Responses to “Diaperbridge Portable Changing Station”

1. Mark says:

We mostly just try and move to a low traffic area. We’re in AZ, so the hot car thing will be an issue, but I can’t see ever using something like this. He’s already irritated enough about getting strapped in his car seat, plus he’s started to flip out about diaper changes about 70% of the time too. He’d have an absolute meltdown if we tried to combine the 2 experiences all at once.

June 1st, 2006 at 4:38 pm

2. Alice H says:

The only way I could see buying something like this is if I went someplace regularly that didn’t have a changing table or counter, and didn’t have nearby parking – which exactly describes one of our favorite brunch spots in downtown Denver, but since we have two kids we can hardly afford to eat there regularly…

June 1st, 2006 at 5:58 pm

3. Jason Lane says:

We recently purchased diaperbridge and my wife and I think its great. We live in TX where the cars are hot and most changing stations in restaurants do not exist or seem to have the appearance of a million bacteria culitivating so the shear fact that we have something to lay our 3 month old on knowing its sanitary is a huge relief.

I would reccomend to anyone whom is on the GO!!!

September 7th, 2006 at 11:14 am

4. Shanney Osborn says:

I think this is a wonderful idea. However, I don’t know how all of you feel about going out in public with your family and when it’s time to change your baby there is no place to change him. I feel that there a very few places that cater to the needs of a baby and parent when it comes to changing diapers. I know for me, to change my son’s diaper I have been offered a dirty floor or a tiny triangle table that I had to maneuver around to get my son to fit in a way where I could change him but make sure his little head would dangle off. I am tired of public facilities not making it easy for family for feel that their babies have sanitary and safe conditions to change their dirty diaper. A friend of mine said she couldn’t go to an event that we are planning to attend because they do not have baby changing stations. She has twins so diaper changing can be a bit difficult.

I am in the process of starting a non-profit foundation that will work on improving these conditions. I would love to hear everyone else’s stories. I tried going to our assembly member but apparently this issue is not important enough to discuss so I am thinking that if we come together with our stories, I can go to my lawyer and see what process we can take to surpass legislature at this time and just get it done. It will take time and patience but I am now pregnant with my second baby and I refuse to allow society to keep putting families and babies in hard situations when it comes to keeping our children clean and healthy. Thanks for your input!

Shanney from CA

October 22nd, 2008 at 3:59 pm

When there isn’t a diaper changing station in the restroom, I put the fold-out diaper changing pad in my diaper bag on the floor (preferably in the handicap stall where I have more room and won’t get stepped on) and change his diaper there. The same side is always towards the baby, and the other side towards the floor. So it does not bother me.

October 22nd, 2008 at 7:34 pm

6. Ina Klebba says:

LOL, for me as a European it is very funny to read all this considerations about changing diapers (and also breast feeding) in public. I just go to a low traffic area put a foldable pad on a bench and do it right there. If the New England weather is not cooperative, I refer to “my boaz’s ruth” comment. Same with breast feeding, I just do not care. I have to look at all kinds of people, which do not fit into my sense of aesthetics, so we all should think a little more relaxed about these natural needs. If people get upset I just tell them they do not need to watch me…… But so far I have rarely heard any comments. Happy changing ;-)

November 7th, 2008 at 6:39 am

7. Ina Klebba says:

November 7th, 2008 at 8:48 am

8. Mother says:

To My Boaz’s Ruth,

I think that has to be one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever heard – putting your child on the floor of a public restroom. It doesn’t matter if there’s something between him and the floor. Yuck!

February 23rd, 2009 at 5:11 am

9. Karen says:

Well I am a Mom of Six…and I wish I knew about this sooner. I cannot tell you how many times I have been out in public where there was not a changing area in the restroom and anytime I changed them outside in public I got nasty looks. There were many times our car was parked far away if we were at a special event…so going back to our car was not an option all the time. Anyhow…I am planning on purchasing this becuase I am staring a home daycare and simply do not have anymore room for a large changing table. With my little ones I simply changed them on the sofa or bed…but with other children that may not be sanitary so this looks like a great idea! Something I can keep in the bathroom and will not take up much room…a perfect idea!

April 21st, 2009 at 9:39 am