Regis and Kelly Baby Contest – Discuss

Note: Click to follow the 2009 contest on our updated page.

[This page is for the 2006 contest. Follow the link above for 2008.]

I am enduring Day 3 of my sick fest, so it is time to talk about Live with Regis and Kelly. We don’t have our television on when Little Miss is awake, so… a friend told me about Live’s Beautiful Baby Search.

It’s simple. Submit a photo through the web site of your 6 to 48 month-old kid, an image taken within the last 30 days. If you are one of five finalists, you fly to New York, take your kid on the TV show, and if you win, you receive $3,000 and your kid will appear on the cover of Parents Magazine. The four runner-ups receive $500.

But wait, it’s not that simple. Read the contest rules.

Ten finalists are actually picked. Online voting selects the final five, with one vote per e-mail address. Hello? Online voting rewards those who best manipulate the situation. Fake e-mail addresses. Rallying people by e-mail or web forum. Having your town newspaper write an article. Etc. Update: Aha, they apparently plan to open and close online voting within the period of a day or two. That makes tainted voting much harder to accomplish.

Second, check out this contest clause:

“If deemed necessary, LIVE will provide transportation and accommodation
for the five (5) finalists asked to appear on the program. “LIVE” reserves the exclusive right to determine the details and/or necessity of such compensated travel arrangements.”

Huh? They want me to travel on my own dime? Roundtrip air from California for mom, dad and baby plus hotel and food… I need to win the grand prize just not to lose money hand over fist.

Am I a pessimist or what? When Little Miss is a finalist, I’ll delete this post and deny it ever existed. Submit your photo by February 10, 2006.

Update: A few folks have complained that the contest web site (no affiliation with this blog) has been auto-rejecting submitted photos. I don’t know the cause, but be sure your image meets the minimum requirements: GIF or JPG with a file size under 100,000 bytes (100K). That is mighty small and will require a small bit of technical knowledge to achieve.

Updated Feb. 11: Ten semi-finalists will be showcased on Live with Regis and Kelly on Monday, Feb. 20th and online voting will commence. The next day, Tuesday, Feb. 21st, five finalists will be announced as indicated by the vote results.

Updated Feb. 15: Thingamababy is launching its own Ugly Baby Photo Contest. After you are rejected by Regis, have a bit of fun by entering our contest.

Updated Feb. 17: See this gallery of (rejected?) Regis and Kelly baby photo submissions.

Updated Feb. 20: Voting for the 10 semi-finalists is now open  (Annoying registration required.)

Updated Feb. 28: Luke Oldmixon has been named Live’s Beautiful Baby 2006.

Note: Click to follow the 2009 contest on our updated page.

Comments

50 Responses to “Regis and Kelly Baby Contest – Discuss”

1. Tori's Dad says:

I couldn’t resist. I had to submitted my daughter. But your point about manipulating online voting is absolutely correct. If my daughter becomes a finalist you can be sure her grandmothers will be going door to door soliciting votes.

February 8th, 2006 at 7:49 am

2. LANI says:

I’ve tried over 20 times to post my daughters picture which was jpg and it wouldn’t take it. So I tried the gif picture and same thing…it kept telling me that my picture isn’t jpg or gif. What’s going on??

February 9th, 2006 at 2:50 am

3. Shirley says:

I tried to post a baby picture before the deadline today at 5 EST and it will not let me. It is only 2:50 pm EST. This is not fair!!!

February 10th, 2006 at 11:52 am

4. stephanie says:

When does the online voting begin and is it just on their website? I entered my daughter and I am way too excited.

February 10th, 2006 at 3:26 pm

The contest rules state: “The finalists will be notified by telephone during the week of February 13, 2006. [...] The viewers will be told on air when the on-line voting will begin and end. [...] Finalists must be available to appear on “LIVE” in New York during the week of February 20, 2006.”

In other words, this will all happen fast, within two weeks. Ten semi-finalists will be posted on the web site and the five finalists will appear on the TV show.

I’ll post a link here and on Thingamababy’s front page when the voting begins.

February 10th, 2006 at 3:44 pm

6. Tanya says:

Even though my daughter may not get accepted because of her age, I just had to enter her in the contest she is just to adorable to resist. Besides she does’nt act like a 4 month old baby. I think she think’s she’6 months… lol Well good luck to all the babies…

February 13th, 2006 at 9:30 am

7. Mom in IL says:

I entered my daughter by mail. I made sure that it was priority mail with delivery confirmation. I wasn’t taking any chances with the online submission! Good luck to all babies. I’m hoping my 10 month old daughter gets chosen. She’s won beautiful baby contests here and will be on the cover of nationally published nursery school curriculum, so I have my fingers crossed!!! I’m waiting very impatiently by both phones as I speak! I was not too happy about the non-pro photos. My daughter has stunning head shots, but I assume this is to be fair to everyone and to show the natural beauty of the child. Luckily we own a great camera, so we did get some descent shots. As I said before, good luck to everyone. I will vote, even if mine is not picked!

February 13th, 2006 at 11:34 am

8. MN Mom says:

It’s probably too late now, but the reason the Regis and Kelly website wouldn’t take your photo is because the file name extension (.jpg) was not capitalized. For some stupid reason, their website programmer had the submission criteria set up to only accept uppercase. I only found this out by trial and error. I can’t remember what it was but some wording on the site prompted me to try changing the .jpg to .JPG and then the photo was accepted.

February 13th, 2006 at 8:47 pm

9. Becky Clemens says:

i agree with shirley, i tried to email my sons photo about 2:45 on friday also and it said the deadline had already passed. so not fair. they need to follow their own rules or else why bother setting them?

February 14th, 2006 at 11:56 am

10. Kristy says:

Well I sent my daughters picture in by mail. Is there anyway to confirm that the show recieved it or not.

February 15th, 2006 at 7:47 pm

11. Shannon says:

So I have patiently been waiting by the phone and NOTHING! Has anybody heard anything yet? Have the picked their top 10? Good Luck to you all!

February 16th, 2006 at 4:44 am

12. Lisa says:

Hi, I’m new to the site. Reading all the posts re: the Regis and Kelly contest makes me feel so much better. I have been going around the house driving my poor husband crazy ranting “how could they not pick our baby, of course he’s beautiful–everyone says so!” I’m relieved I’m not the only seemingly crazed mother (or father) out there! What’s wrong with us? NOTHING! We just all love and adore our “beautiful babies”. What more could a child want for…

February 16th, 2006 at 9:00 am

13. Kim says:

Just make sure you pick up the phone when it rings and not screen your calls. They called once a day for 3 days, and now we are disqualified. :( That’s what I get for screening my calls.

February 16th, 2006 at 9:38 am

14. Kim says:

Like Kim I am worried that I might have screen my son out of the contest. Does anyone know the phone number that the call would come from so I would know for sure? I, however, received a call on Sunday and Monday and that was it. I didn’t receive a third call, could have been a telemarketer I guess.

February 16th, 2006 at 10:27 am

15. Kim says:

Trying to email Kim that screened her calls, I think I did the same thing. Please email me so I can see if I have the same phone number you got your three calls from.

February 16th, 2006 at 10:34 am

16. TH says:

Woo Hoo! Our daughter was one of the photos on the show today. I wonder if these are the ones they will pick from for the finalists???

February 16th, 2006 at 11:30 am

17. B says:

I hate to be a downer, but I’m assuming that if they showed your baby today, then you aren’t a finalist. They aren’t announced until Monday, so I’m just guessing that the pictures won’t be either. But, hey, at least your baby got recognized in some way! Just think of the thousands that they just throw away!

February 16th, 2006 at 1:15 pm

18. B says:

Forgot to mention, that according to a baby site I was just on, as of a week into the contest (still in Jan.) it was noted that they had already received well over 35,000 entries. I was wondering if anyone had heard if they went through them as they come in, or if they waited until the 10th to start choosing. Because if they started after the deadline…well, let’s just say I wouldn’t want to be the one opening all that mail. Also, seeing as though that number had to have grown quite a bit by the 10th, I wonder if they started calling on Monday, or if they needed more time. They didn’t give a definite day of calling, just that it would be the week of the 13th, and that they would make 3 calls…better hope you listed more than 1 number and that you were there when they called!

February 16th, 2006 at 1:39 pm

I e-mailed Kim #1. She said she received three phone calls from an unavailable (not identified) number and also some calls from the 309 area code (which covers portions of Illinois & Iowa). That’s interesting because the Regis & Kelly contest is in conjunction with Parents Magazine. The magazine is published by Meredith Corporation which has its headquarters in Des Moines, Iowa (and also an office in New York where Regis & Kelly is shot).

So, who knows.

February 16th, 2006 at 3:20 pm

20. KW says:

New to this site…loved ready everything about the Regis and Kelly contest!

Actually, Des Moines area code is 515. And, 309 is only in IL, Iowa is 319. My friend’s parents live near there! But, everything was mailed to New York, so would they really call from Iowa anyway? I’m just guessing that it wasn’t a call about the contest if it was from 309. Everything will be taking place in New York. I’ve been reading a lot of websites such as this and have yet to find a person who has been called. Maybe there is a “silence until Monday thing”. Who knows. Please…some one write post a comment if they hear anything. My neice is entered, and I am dying to hear what happens!

February 16th, 2006 at 3:48 pm

I based my 309 Iowa comment on FoneFinder.net which lists some Iowa cities as being 309 (Rock Island, Davenport and Moline). True, Des Moines is not among them. This is all highly speculative anyway.

February 16th, 2006 at 3:54 pm

22. Kim says:

No one except my immediate family and the bank has my cell phone number. I don’t get telemarketers calling on this line…they call the house phone. The 309 number is nowhere to be found in the phone book or internet. That show has so many affiliations, who knows where the call is coming from. I don’t even think that is relevant. I have the Red Cross from Pennsylvania calling me to schedule blood donations in my own town, and PA is like 2 states away. Oh well. The point is, if you entered the contest, answer the phone! I asked my hubby why they couldn’t leave a message… he says it’s part of the contest. I would have rather never gotten any phone calls than be sitting here thinking I I screwed my kid over.

February 17th, 2006 at 7:29 am

23. KW says:

Actually, I found the 309 area code here in my local phone book, and on 2 area code websites! Not that I don’t believe that it isn’t were Kim looked…it just that it’s such a huge area in IL not to be listed. Plus, Rock Island and Moline are in IL, part of the Quad-Cities I believe. I know this has nothing to do with the contest, I only know this because I am familiar with the area. I’m so not being critical or not believing that it could have been them, but after the 2 days of getting unavailable calls, wouldn’t you think that it may be them if you don’t get unavailable calls (which I may add, that I too have an unlisted number and get those calls all the time, all they have to do is block them). Yes, it’s unfair that they don’t leave messages, but really, does your child even know that he was entered? Don’t beat yourself up…it obviously wasn’t meant to be. There is always next year (unless he is too old), and there are tons of contests every year with much bigger prizes than this. If you feel so strongly that he is the type to model, go for it. Try ad agencies, pageants, or send in headshots to magazines. Don’t feel bad about something that may not have been!

February 17th, 2006 at 9:12 am

24. proud mom says:

I’m so excited. We just got a call yesterday and they indicated they wanted a release for my daughter’s picture for next weeks show. They have not selected the 10 semi finalists and anyone who is getting a call now I believe is in the running for the top 10. The number on the caller id shows as restricted. However the Live associate provided me with her number which was a 212 number (NY).

February 17th, 2006 at 10:18 am

25. TJ says:

Nice to finaly hear from someone that sounds like the real thing!!
    This blog has provided great information!!
    Thanks!

February 17th, 2006 at 11:12 am

26. mommy to peter sam says:

I received a phone call from Live Regis and Kelly on Wednesday, Feb. 15th and they faxed me a release form to be signed and returned. The number shows up as “call id unavailable”. But when they faxed me they wrote a note on their cover letter telling me to call them if I had “any questions” and left me their direct phone number which is a 212 number. I didn’t get a chance to fax back to them until late that evening and so the next morning I called a little before 8am and they told me the staff had just gotten in so they would check their fax and call me back (which I didn’t think they really would) but indeed they called me back within 15min. to say they received my fax. I asked if this means he is in the top ten and she said “not necessarily” but will show him on tv and the ones shown are the ones from where they chose the top ten. They have not shown his photo on tv yet and am hoping it’s b/c he is in the top ten. My husband and I are going crazy trying to figure it all out and can’t wait until the show Monday.

If anyone knows anything else please reply! Good luck to everyone!

February 18th, 2006 at 9:20 am

27. Kim says:

mommy to peter sam: Congratulations! I would imagine they are in the top 10. At the very least they are a finalist to be a finalist. They said on Friday that they would be showing hundreds and hundreds of pictures this upcoming week. I doubt that they would get releases from all those people. I am sure if you had to sign a release your chances are really good!

February 18th, 2006 at 8:48 pm

28. mommy to peter sam says:

Kim: Thank you for your optimism. I really hope you are right. All my friends think the same and say they can’t possibly get everyone who’s photo is shown on tv to sign a release, but then again you never know. I would think that if we made the top ten they would just tell us so we could somewhat prepare to travel if we made the top 5 next. That is my theory and so I’m assuming we didn’t make it. If my son makes the top ten then I’ll be happily surprised. :) I’m sorry to see you screened your calls. Did you hear about the Baby Talk/Good Morning America contest? It’s almost the same except better. I found out about it from our local Babies R Us. So if you enter that one don’t screen! LOL. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Regis and Kelly’s Monday show. Thanks again.

February 18th, 2006 at 10:54 pm

29. Kim says:

I agree they should let you know, but I know that there was some concern that if people knew this far in advance that they might be able to manipulate the online voting. So I guess it was to try to keep people from doing that. I am Kim #2, I have resigned to the fact that I didn’t receive a phone call. Must have been a telemarketer. I will look into the Good Morning America one, just for fun.

February 19th, 2006 at 5:25 pm

30. Lisa says:

I guess the top 10 have been told. See the article below. This family decided to tell the newspaper. I don’t think it is fair that they announced it before the show. I don’t think the show would like it either.

February 19th, 2006 at 5:59 pm

31. mommy to peter sam says:

Wow, that little girl is gorgeous! If she wins she deserves it. GL to her and everyone else. All babies are beautiful. :)

February 20th, 2006 at 5:57 am

32. Kim says:

She is beautiful, but was she allowed to do that, ask for votes online/newspaper/TV?

February 20th, 2006 at 8:06 am

Voting is now open. I didn’t vote for the baby which received publicity.

February 20th, 2006 at 8:29 am

34. Lisa says:

They are allowed to publically ask for votes. The thing is that the family announced it on Friday before the Monday announcement by the show. I don’t think the show would appreciate this.

February 20th, 2006 at 8:56 am

35. Kim says:

I don’t know what possessed me to think the unknown number was them calling. I guess because I usually never receive calls I don’t know, and I had totally forgot about the contest…then when I remebered, it hit me, I thought I was having a psychic moment. LOL
    The picture I sent was not even a good quality, with their 100kb limit.
    But I voted. I did vote for that girl that someone posted a link on here about. I know it may rub some of you all the wrong way that she would receive publicity like that, but to me, she was one of the top 5, and it’s not her fault that her family has a big mouth. If you really think she is one of the top 5, don’t let what someone else did influence your vote. (She may find out one day and hate her parents…LOL. Just kidding.:)

February 20th, 2006 at 7:09 pm

36. TJ says:

Is it just me or was anyone else dissapointed in the final 5. Don’t get me wrong the children were beautiful. But there wasn’t a single brown child in the final 5! And even worse there wasn’t a single brown boy in the top 10! I just find it hard to believe out of 300,000 entries….and not one.

February 21st, 2006 at 8:38 am

Sure, I was disappointed. Maybe someone can correct me, but if memory serves, there were 5 ethnic babies (e.g., faces of obvious non-white ethnicity), but it was the 5 white babies who were selected.

However, consider these factors:

1) Few babies qualify as ugly, so what matters in this contest is capturing a great facial expression. In my opinion, at least two of the white babies (Josie and Dylan) had professional quality photos. I’m not saying they were paid photos, just that the person behind the camera knew his stuff. Good lighting, taken outdoors without a flash (providing a natural look), with perfect expressions capturing their character. Those two kids were a sure thing from the beginning. At least one of the non-white babies was inexplicably selected for the top ten, despite having a plain and uninteresting photo. So, on a pure skin count, the white kids had some things in their favor.

2) What are the demographics of the Regis and Kelly audience? I’m guessing their viewership is predominantly white. I expect a white audience to vote for white babies, not because of intentional racism (though I’m sure some of that occurs), but just because you tend to like things which are similar to you.

3) I only watched the last couple Regis & Kelly shows, but the wall of baby faces displayed behind the hosts was predominantly white. So, in my opinion, it’s likely that primarily white babies were entered into the contest and there was an intentional effort by the contest organizers to introduce diversity into the top 10. Just the same, it’s disappointing to then still see white faces exclusively selected for the top 5.

I have no evidence for my opinions. They are just opinions.

February 21st, 2006 at 12:38 pm

38. Kim says:

I agree with you AJ. There were some non-white kids in there, and yes, judging by the pics that seemed just “plain”, it looked like there was a definite effort to make it more diverse. And the probability that the Regis and Kelly audience is predominantly white will not only effect who is voted for, but also who entered the contest to begin with.

I live in a city that is like…well, I can’t tell you the percentage of black people, but I can say that about 70% of the people I know are black, and I know not one who even watches the Regis and Kelly show.

I don’t even watch it, I just heard about the contest when my friend (white) sent me a picture to ask my opinion on which one she should submit.

It’s more of a society thing and not one I think the show can really be too responsible for.

February 21st, 2006 at 1:09 pm

39. Rebecca says:

Does anyone know how I can get a copy of yesterday and today’s episode of Live w/Regis and Kelly? A couple of family members told me that they showed Olivia’s picture when they were showing some of the entries that didn’t win and I am curious to see the episodes now. I wasn’t at all disappointed in the winners, or that Olivia wasn’t chosen. It must have been hard to choose just 10 beauties from 300,000 entries, I mean there are thousands of cute kids out there. I’m glad it wasn’t my job! Anyway, if anyone knows how I can get my hands on a copy of this weeks episodes I would be grateful. Thanks, ~Becca (Mother of Olivia “My most beautiful baby”)

February 21st, 2006 at 1:16 pm

40. Deanna Medlin says:

Wow, I thought I was a frustrated mom. I decide not to use just email to send my sons picture. If you read in the “official rules”, Live was not responsible for misrouted pictures or notification if they were indeed received. I am very biased and think my son is beautiful, so I submitted his picture. He has actually won two local contest before the age of 2. We can’t all be wrong. Anyhow, I too am very disappointed with the whole situation. I thought the families and children were to appear on Monday, NOPE! As far as making arangements for travel, I too could not afford to just fly the family and forego a days pay. I could go on for days….glad to see there are others that feel the way I do!

February 22nd, 2006 at 9:17 am

41. tj says:

…also did anyone else notice that one top five contestant had obviously had “her” picture taken more than a month ago. I mean it’s one thing to have Santa in your picture which would date the picture around Christmas time, but short sleeves and a tan that you didn’t have on tv. That was a little too obvious!

February 22nd, 2006 at 4:55 pm

42. Kim says:

Was this “her” the same one who’s parents announced her finalist status to the local news last Friday?

February 22nd, 2006 at 7:57 pm

43. Kim says:

I missed Wednesday’s show, but I saw today’s and I am flabbergasted by what I saw. I could not believe what I saw. I wonder if all the people who voted for Josie were a little disappointed in the fact that the little girl they voted for wasn’t the one who showed up for the photo shoot. I would say that picture is almost 6 months old. Not only the absent tan, but the several months of hair growth!! I wonder what Parents magazine and the Live people thought when she walked in. I understand what people say about punishing the girl for her parents mistakes, but that is unbelievable!! I am putting my bet on Dylan. The hair is great!!

I have a winning picture of my 2 1/2 year old when he was about 9 months old, maybe I should have sent that in…..

February 23rd, 2006 at 10:49 am

44. TJ says:

Glad to see that someone else noticed. I would think that the judges would have picked up on the tan and short sleeves in the picture considering it is the dead of winter. When I saw the little girl it just proved my theory. I guess next year we know what to do….

February 23rd, 2006 at 11:19 am

45. Kim says:

Tan and short sleeves, maybe, if she were from California or something, but Kentucky??

And I honestly hope those judges know they’ve been duped! Maybe it will lead to a better way of handling the contest.

February 23rd, 2006 at 11:31 am

46. Florette says:

I am just wondering why all the babies chosen have blond hair & blue eyes..There were certainly several beautiful babies of different races.I must say I am very disappointed.

February 23rd, 2006 at 3:24 pm

47. CM says:

After looking at the pictures that first came out on Monday – I was like where do these kids get tans like that in Kentucky or highlights from the sun in the dead of winter? I missed the show today. The requirement was though that the picture had to have been taken within the last month. Are these kids still “qualified” to win the grand prize or the runner up prizes? Sounds like someone got the wool pulled over their eyes.

February 23rd, 2006 at 4:31 pm

48. JA says:

Just wondering if anyone knows if the children featured in the wall of photos that sit behind Regis and Kelly were in the top 100?

February 23rd, 2006 at 5:48 pm

49. B says:

I agree with everyone about the change in the little girl! I also thought that when they meant non-pro photos they meant NO PROS! I think that the parents that are pros should have had to submit snapshots just like everyone else! Or, I guess I should have had my Dad take the pics! But, I thought I would play by the rules. Hopefully the parents who didn’t follow the rules will not get away with it! Also, I didn’t really agree with the title “Beautiful Baby” I didn’t see too many babies, but toddlers. No offense to those who have toddlers, but they shouldn’t call it a baby contest if the age goes up to 4! Oh well! I guess I’ll know next year! She’ll be almost 2 by then, so maybe she’ll be at the age that they’re looking for! But, she is Blonde with blue eyes so I’m sure the competition to fit that look will be pretty thick! I agree that there should have been darker kids. I have a cousin who is Japanese/Latin American and is absolutely gorgeous…I would have loved to see him win just as much as Avery!

February 23rd, 2006 at 9:16 pm

50. Kim says:

I agree with you, B. I was thinking the same thing. I think they should have done it like how other contests are done, by age group. Even though infants are beautiful no doubt, haven’t you looked back on old pictures of your young one and thought “As beautiful as I thought you were then, you just keep getting more and more beautiful?”
    If quality of photo was being judged, yeah, we could see no reason why we would have been a finalist. The only place we went where I took pics within that 1 month timeframe was the zoo on a cloudy day, so our pic was too dark…not enough light.
    I explained to my husband about the calls that came to the winners were restricted and all that. But when I showed him the Top 5, he had this confused look on his face and said “You know, I wonder if it WAS them that called! She could have easily competed with all them.” LOL
    But, yeah B, I hear you. They should either rename that contest or do it in age groups. If they were looking at Josie’s huge smile, nice tan, and blonde hair up in a do as factors, then how the heck is a sun protected, mostly bald baby who probably knows not to smile for the camera going to compete???

February 24th, 2006 at 6:36 am