That New Baby Smell

Jennifer Lopez wants her new perfume to smell like the top of a baby’s head, according to various reports. Normally I wouldn’t care, but this is not the first time I’ve heard expressed an affinity for baby odor.

Soon after Little Miss was born (four days?), we took her on our first family outing, to a summertime gay pride festival. No, "Mom" hasn’t been a euphemism for something else. We’re heterosexuals, but a festival is fun, and we don’t fear people different than ourselves.

Anyhow, we ran across my former boss and his partner at the event. It was their first time seeing Little Miss. His partner immediately oohed and ahhed. "I love the way new babies smell," he said, and he sniffed her head a few times and smiled.

Do new babies have a smell? I mean, other than poop and your particular brand of baby body wash?

Jennifer Lopez – ‘Baby’s Head’ Perfume Request (link via Robot Wisdom).

Comments

7 Responses to “That New Baby Smell”

1. Drew says:

Doesn’t Johnson & Johnson pretty much have a lock on this? Seriously. The smell is called B A B Y P O W D E R….

April 26th, 2006 at 7:19 am

2. Rengirl says:

I don’t think there is an actual “baby smell” other than the aformentioned poop and baby bathing product, although our child’s head smells a lot like soy sauce.

May 17th, 2006 at 5:43 pm

3. Michael says:

There is indeed a baby smell, and it is best noticed when they are just born. Not baby powder or anything, but a smell no one recognizes. Supposedly the smell kind of is attracting to like the father, perhaps some kind of evolutionary trait to make you love em lots. They also think that when u smell them, you give some fo your nasal bacteria to the baby and it actually helps them fight off the other bad germs and things.

October 2nd, 2006 at 8:32 am

4. Fernanda Aguiar says:

There is a product that I have been using for years called Cheirinho de Bebe ( something like Baby Smell in Portuguese) that is as close as you can get from the the “just born” smell. I use the cologne and the soap and not only gives me a baby smell, but also a refresh feeling on my skin.I use right after shower , before i go to bed, and my boyfriend LOVES it!

January 16th, 2008 at 12:55 pm

5. JS says:

Everytime I have heard someone comment on the baby smell they have held the baby out for me to smell as well… and everytime I have sniffed the top of the baby’s head, all I smell is body oils… apparently that is the new baby smell everyone loves so much.

Maybe after you have a baby it smells differently to you? I don’t know, but it’s not a smell I particularly like. People also seem to like to smell baby breath as well, which isn’t something I would ever think to do.

April 23rd, 2008 at 9:40 am

6. Effie says:

I love new baby smell, it’s warm and fuzzy and smells different to anything else in the world. It’s lovely!

May 9th, 2008 at 10:48 am

7. Rich says:

I love this posting :)

I have to say that my 12 week young baby has a head smell that really bonds me to her. I love it!
    I can only describe it as kind of sweet, milky, cheesy smell. No! don’t be grossed out cuz it’s wonderful.

Here’s my theory on why it exists too. I truly believe it’s there to keep the baby near the parent’s chest for comfort and safety. Think about it ….. if you can smell your baby’s head she’s very close to you. Well that’s what it feells lke anyway.

Rich